BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Chapter 43: Brown Crayons

She’d almost made to the entrance of the hospital before they spotted her. Somehow it had never occurred to her that any one would even pay attention to this, let alone her. She noticed a large group huddled to one side behind tape.

Claire had almost made it to the walkway under the awning when someone behind that tape yelled, “Hey, you! Aren’t you the one?”

She stopped and stupidly turned to him. “The one what?”

“The bimbo that ripped apart Ian and Saxon?” Another yelled.

Claire howled. “I am not a bimbo!”

Suddenly there was pandemonium. Lights flashed, microphones got shoved her way and she suddenly realized how completely she was out of her element.

“Did you get knocked up deliberately?”

“Is it true this isn’t even Ian Justyn’s baby?”

“How much money did you ask for not to go public?”

Claire stomped her swollen feet. “You people are disgusting!” She put her hands on her hips, when she found them, and started screaming. “A man is fighting for his life and all you vultures can think of is slinging dirt?”

“Claire.” She heard the voice coming up behind her.

“Did someone drop the whole lot of you on your heads when you were babies?” She bellowed at them.

She felt the hand on her arm. Claire jerked her arm away and took a step toward the paparazzi. “You people make me sick! What did Ian ever do to make you treat him this way?”

“What did he do to you to make you treat him this way?” One woman behind the rope shouted back.

“Just ignore them and come inside.” The voice tried to pressure her.

Claire’s stance would not be broken. “You assholes want a sound bite? Here’s one for you…I made some mistakes. Hell, I made a lot of mistakes, but you people? You make me look like Little Bo Peep.”

“Claire, maybe we should just…”

Still not bothering to see who was in front of the firing squad with her, Claire put up her ‘talk to the hand’ and adjusted her shoulder bag. “I get it. You people don’t like me. So what? It ain’t gonna keep me awake at night. I’ve been hated by people a lot better than any of you, a whole lot better.”

“Call me a gold digger and a whore if you like, I don’t care.” She took a breath at the silent crowd. “Seems to me that’s about the only thing ya’ll are qualified to point out.”

“Hey, lady, we’re just doing our jobs.” Someone heckled.

“Suddenly I'm a lady.” Claire whipped her bangs out of her eyes with a toss of her head. “What happened to reporting the truth and not a bunch of crap? I distinctly remember Ian less than twenty-four hours after he came out of a coma promising to tell you everything he knew. You people have the gall to treat a class act like that this way?”

“Nobody will tell us anything.” Another behind the rope shouted.

“Did’ja ask or just start yowling like a bunch of hungry strays at a handful of molded meat?” Claire looked over the people behind the rope and took a deep breath. “Fine. What do you want to know?” Before the pandemonium started again she put up a hand. “One at a time. You!” She pointed to the man who hurled the first insult.

“What’s going on with Ian Justyn?” He asked.

“In general or specific?” She curled her lips into a smile. “Hey, you ask a blanket question, you get a blanket answer. I’m assuming you mean why was he rushed to the hospital in an ambulance?” Claire tapped her foot. “I’m sure he’d have something charming and witty to say, but we all know that’s not me.”

Tippy Shores stepped out of a car and walked up behind David Turner. “What’s going on here? Should we put a stop to this?”

Turner grinned watching Claire and the reporters. “That was my first instinct. Second time in one day I've been wrong.” He turned to Tippy and took her arm. “I’m getting old.”

Claire pointed at a woman. “You’re from that God awful infotainment thing, right?”

“Uhm…” The woman turned red at the snickers. “I’m lead anchor on ‘Hollywood Today’, if that’s what you mean.”

“Yeah, that’s what I meant. God you’re terrible, obviously you're sleeping with someone to keep your job. One question, make it quick.” Claire snapped her fingers.

“Exactly what is wrong with Ian Justyn?" She cleared her throat before Claire could quip. “Specifically regarding his health.”

Claire smiled. “It’s one of those good news bad news situations. Almost immediately the doctor’s diagnosed Ian as diabetic. It could have been life threatening, but once they are able to get the proper balances, sorry not sure of the technical terms, he should be fine provided a few adjustments are made.”

David Turner put his hand on Claire’s shoulder. “You need us to stay?”

She turned to him and waved them off. “I lived with Ian Justyn for eight years. I can handle these morons. Go. Go be with Ian, tell him I’m on my way up.”

As they glided past her, Tippy leaned over and kissed Claire on the cheek. “Play nice.”

Claire smiled. “You’re no fun.”

She smiled again when she heard Tippy say to David Turner. “I think we found something she can do.”

“Okay, you!” Claire nodded. “You with the really bad face lift…”



She found him sitting on the edge of the deck in the backyard. A rag, a toothbrush, a bucket of water and a screwdriver were at his side as she gently touched his shoulder. “What’cha doin’?”

He didn’t look up. “Cleanin’ the weed eater.”

“Why?”

“It’s dirty.”

She couldn’t help but smile. “You are your father’s son.”

Ronnie finally looked up at her and smiled back.

“Can I sit with you a minute?” She asked.

“Sure.” He said picking up the bucket and sitting it in the grass to make room for her.

“Can you help a pregnant lady get down there?” He giggled and she grunted as they managed to get her down. “Thanks…Puppy.”

He nodded and went back to using the toothbrush on the clumps in the mechanical thing Claire wasn’t really sure actually did. “Your Papa is going to be fine.”

“I know.” He didn’t look up.

“Do you understand what diabetes is?”

“Yes.” He looked up at her. “I think so.”

“It’s alright to be scared.” She tried to find words to help the boy express his feelings as she fretted that she would never get the hang of this. “I know I am.”

Ronnie nodded his head. “I more worried than scared, Miss Claire. He’s been through a lot, my Papa.”

“And so have you.” She put her hand gently on his chin and pulled his eyes to hers and said it again.

“I’ve been scared, and I’ve been worried but only a few times. Papa’s lived in fear from the day he was born.” He voice quivered just a bit. “I want it to stop, but I don’t know what to do.”

Claire sighed. “I’m not sure either, but I think if we just love him and let him know no matter what we’re gonna be there, we’ll all come out of this just fine.”

“Why won’t they let me see him?”

“Ronnie, I think that was kind of his choice, not the doctors.”

“But why?”

“Well…” Claire wasn’t sure herself, so she tried to come up with an explanation that would soothe them both. “…Vanity.”

“What?”

She gave him a playful shove with her shoulder. “You know how your Papa likes everyone to believe he’s Superman? Well, what he’s going through right now isn’t pretty. If we see him all sweaty and shaky we’d probably realize he’s human and you know that’s the last thing he wants.”

Ronnie giggled. “You know, you’re pretty good at this.”

“I am?” Claire wrinkled her nose.

“Yeah. You’re gonna be a good mother.”

“I hope so. I’ve kinda messed everything else up, and I don’t know anything about this so I’ll just have to make it up as I go along.”

“That’s what Papa does.” He assured her.

“He does?”

“Superman didn’t get the handbook either.” Ronnie looked at Claire. “So do you hope it’s a girl or a boy?”

“Personally, I don’t care. I just want to get it out of me!” Clare looked at her tummy as she rubbed it. “I am so tired of being pregnant. What do you want, a brother or a sister?”

Ronnie bit his lip. “Between you and me? I hope it’s a boy, with Vonnie and Granny we haven’t got the energy for another girl around here.”

Claire threw back her head and laughed. “Ronnie, some times I think you’re the most mature person in this whole family.”

Ronnie threw up his hands. “All I have to do is sit back and let everyone prove it…time after time after time.”

“So, you want to go see Ian?”

His eyes lit up. “Yes!”

“Good news then.” Claire patted the boy’s knee. “I didn’t come back just so Reese could get the hospital. I was told to make sure you had a great dinner and then bring you to see your father.”

“Mean it?”

“Well, I’m not too good a cook, so the great dinner I can’t promise, but I can take you to see Ian just as soon as I figure out how to open a few cans.”

Ronnie slipped his arm around her and put his head on her shoulder, a move that genuinely touched her. “We’ll do it together. That’s what family is for.”

“That’s something I’m learning…slowly, but I swear to God I am trying to learn.”

“Miss Claire?” Ronnie didn’t move his head from her shoulder. “Do you love my Papa?”

Claire sighed. “Honey, I thought so. I was so sure, but the one thing I have learned is that I’m not real sure of anything.” She rubbed his shoulder with the hand from her arm wrapped tightly around him.

“I was Daddy’s little girl. Anything I wanted he provided with extra sunshine. Now, that’s not to say that I didn’t love my Mama, but let’s face it, she’s a little cold. He was always the glowing warmth in our home.”

She placed her head on top of his. “When my Daddy died, I didn’t think I could live and along came your Papa, the one man on the face of the Earth that didn’t seem to know I existed no matter how hard I tried. He was, he is so much like my Daddy. Unfortunately I’m so much like my Mama. I thought we were the perfect match, and I’m pretty sure I messed that up, too, but I think maybe if we try we can be the perfect friends. I’d like that.”

“Me, too.” Ronnie sighed with her. “Ya know I’m kinda hungry.”

“Well, if the two of us can manage to get me out of this position maybe we can get in the kitchen and feed ourselves.”

It took them several tries and several minutes, but they finally had Claire upright again. They quickly cleaned up after Ronnie’s cleaning and found themselves giggling. They found themselves having fun making a simple chicken casserole, tossing in some frozen broccoli to convince themselves it was healthy.

As they set the table for two Claire finally admitted out loud. “I’m certainly glad that Ian’s problem is as simple as diabetes, not to belittle that terrible disease, but it is manageable. What really yanks my chain about this whole episode is the only person allowed near your Papa is Ripley. Why is that? Why not you or even me?”

Ronnie looked up at Clare. “It’s his job, Miss Claire.”

“His job?” She pulled out a chair from the table and plunked down. “I thought he cooked and cleaned for his paycheck.”

“Naw.” Ronnie giggled. “He does that cause he loves us, and he enjoys it. His job is to keep us safe. He’s our live in body guard.”

It was Claire’s turn to giggle. “Body guard? What does Ian need a bodyguard for? Sure he’s getting more and more famous by the day, but I haven’t noticed throngs of people trying to rip his clothes off at the supermarket or sneaking in the house to snip off locks of his hair.”

Ronnie pulled the chair out beside her and sat down. “You don’t know?”

“Know what?”

“Miss Claire, someone is trying to kill Papa.”

Her face fell. “Oh come on. That one time some one broke in. I think hiring a body guard is just a little excessive.”

“I’m not supposed to know, but I do. You’d be surprised what I know but am not supposed to. Sometimes the adults think that just because Vonnie and I aren’t over five foot tall yet we don’t understand what’s going on.” He said very seriously.

“I’m sure that…”

“No. Someone seriously wants Papa dead. They’ve probably tried several times. The F.B.I. is involved.”

“Oh come on.” Claire tried to marginalize the boy’s statements. “I’m sure you’ve just misunderstood some partial conversations.

“No, ma’am. I’m haven’t.” Ronnie remained steadfast. “They don’t know who it is, but every day they are getting a little closer. They don’t know the guy’s name. All they know for sure is that he works at HRT.”

“HRT?”

The boy nodded his head. “He’s done this before at other places. He comes into a business and steals money and kills people. Then he disappears. They know of at least four people he’s already killed, people he gets to do his dirty work or people who can identify him. That’s why he’s been hard to catch. He never does the bad stuff, he gets other people to do it and then kills them.”

“I’m confused Ronnie.” Claire took his hand. “You’re father stole money from HRT?”

“No, no.” Ronnie tried to explain. “I’m not exactly sure how or why, but this guy always finds some one in the company to blame everything on so he has time to get away or something. They think he was trying to blame what he did at HRT on my Papa or he thinks Papa’s on to him or something.”

“You’re sure of this?” Ronnie nodded his head. “Why hasn’t anyone said anything to me?”

Ronnie shrugged his shoulders. “I think that’s why Papa had you move in here with us, to make sure you and the baby are safe. As long as Uncle Ripley has an eye on us, nothing can happen.”

“And you’re sure no one knows who this person is?” Claire asked to be certain.

“Everyone they know of who can identify him or has had any kind of contact ends up dead…everyone.”

Ronnie went silent. Which was a good thing, because suddenly the voices in Claire’s end got very, very loud.



“Oh sweetheart!” Tippy wrapped herself around the stunning blond. “He’ll be so happy you came!”

“I couldn’t stay away.” Saxon smiled as she squeezed the woman tighter, ignoring a seething Claire standing right beside her. “How is he?”

Tippy pushed the woman back and smiled. “Once they get some kind of mumbo jumbo straightened out, he’ll be just fine. Until then he’s hot and sweaty one minute then freezing to death the next.”

Saxon nodded her head and bent down to give Ronnie a hug. “Hey there, boyfriend. How you hangin’ in?”

“Not bad.” Ronnie almost refused to let go. “We have missed you.”

She kissed the boy’s forehead and touched his nose playfully with her finger. “I’ve been a busy girl. You’ve not been around when I’m working. I don’t get around much when I’m doing a movie. That’s pretty much all I concentrate on.”

“You’re makin’ a movie?” Ronnie smiled.

“Yup, working very hard.” Saxon brushed his curly black hair behind his ear. “But that doesn’t mean you are not always on my mind. So kid, how’s your Papa?”

“I haven’t seen him yet. He’s not been letting anyone in, until tonight. They’ll let two of us go in at a time.”

“Well point me to the back of the line and I’ll patiently wait my turn, although patience is one of my weaker virtues.”

Tippy smiled at her. “No one’s gone in yet. The doctor is in with him. We’re all just waiting for him to come out.”

Saxon’s eyes finally connected with Claire’s. “Claire.”

Claire plastered on a smile. “Saxon.”

Saxon opened her rather large purse and extracted a brightly wrapped gift with a silver rattle hanging on the bow. “I’m glad you’re here. I wanted to give this to you in person. It’s for the baby, of course.”

“Of course.” She said as she accepted the gift, after a not so subtle elbow from Tippy. “Thank you, Saxon. I’m sure it’s wonderful. I’ll wait and open this with Ian.”

“Of course.” Saxon looked at the floor a moment and then back up at Claire. “Look, I know we are never going to be besties, but like it or not we are both going to be knocking in and out of each other’s lives. I hope we can at least learn not to make each other as uncomfortable as possible when it inevitably happens.”

“You mean because of Ian?”

“And because of Ronnie, and Tippy and Colton, the whole family. My world is incomplete without them. Let’s not punish ourselves or each other just because our hearts travel in the same circles.”

Claire grinned. “One of us could just not travel in the same circle.”

Ripley looked at Claire. “That sounds good to me. We’ll miss you Claire.”

“Alright!” Colton stepped in. “Let’s not do this. Ian does not need any member of his family to be at an other’s throat any more than he needs one to no longer be there.”

“You’re right.” Claire bit her lip. “I’m sorry, old habits die hard. Saxon, thank you very much for the gift and for suggesting that we try harder to, for lack of a better term, get along. Not just for Ian’s sake, but for ours, too. I will do my best.”

“So will I.” Saxon tried to genuinely smile. “It must be getting close, do you need help with getting things ready for the baby?”

“Uhm….” Claire looked at Tippy.

“You know how our life is darlin’," Tippy put her arm around Claire and squeezed. "Everything seems full speed ahead, then Ian passes out and everything gets put on the back burner.”

“But we’ve picked out furniture and stuff. We’re just trying to figure out where to put the nursery.” Claire added. “Billy got some plans of the house from the town hall or something, and as soon as Ian gets back on his feet we’ll make a decision and get it done.”

“When exactly is your due date?” Saxon asked.

“Well…”

The door to Ian’s hospital room opened and the doctor stepped out, immediately causing the crowd to shift attention. “Ian is doing well. His levels seem to be stabilizing. We’ll need to keep a 24 hour watch on him, but if he continues to improve we will be more than happy to be sending him home by the weekend.”

“He must be feeling better.” Jesse spoke up. “He’s already being a pain in the butt.”

“Oh, he doesn’t have be to feeling good to be a major pain...in any body part.” Wella retorted. “God bless him.”

“He’s ready to see family and friends, so you may all go in…no more than two at a time.” The doctor warned. “It is important that he remain as calm and stress free as possible.”

“He’s in the hospital doctor. That stresses him out.” Billy informed him.

“That’s why it’s important not to add anything else to the stress factor. Keep it light. Keep it as normal as possible.”

“As normal as possible?” Ronnie looked up at the doctor. “Then maybe we should all go in at the same time. Two by two is kinda Noah’s Ark and he may freak.”

“That’s the rule, young man. Give me another 24 hours and maybe, maybe I’ll throw open the doors to the whole zoo, but for tonight, two at a time. Now do I hand out tickets or can you decide who goes in first quietly and peacefully?”

“Not a problem, Doctor.” Tippy smiled. “Sugar Plum, you and Saxon run right in and see your Papa.”

“Well, that was easier than I thought.” The doctor smiled. “Now remember, keep the stress level as low as possible.”

“Do we have a time limit, Mr. Doctor?” Ronnie looked up in the man’s face.

He grinned and rubbed the young boy’s head. “No young man, just remember there are other people waiting to see your father. The time limit is visiting hours, but as long as everyone does their best to keep him calm I think a chat with his loved ones will be better medicine than anything I can give him right now.”

Ronnie grabbed Saxon hand. “Let’s go!”

“Wait, honey.” Saxon held him back. “I think you should go in, but I'll wait and let someone else go with you.”

“No. No.” Ronnie tugged. “Granny is right. It should be you and me first, besides you’re making a movie. You probably need to get home and study or something.”

“Uhh…” Saxon looked at the people in the waiting room. “Is this okay with everyone?”

“Well…” Claire began to speak up.

Tippy slipped her arms all the way around Claire and put her hand over her mouth. “Of course, dear. You run right in. We know you want to see him and he’ll want to see you plus we all know you need to get back to your busy schedule.”

“If you are sure…” Saxon hesitated.

Tippy forced Claire’s head into a nod.

“Come on!” Ronnie yanked Saxon’s arm and headed for the door.

“Sugar Plum…” Tippy gave the boy a loving reminder. “Remember the doctor said calm…”

“Right.” Ronnie took a deep breath. “Right. Shall we go then?” He looked up at Saxon, still holding her hand tight.

“Alright, let's go in.” She said and walked with him to the door. She put her hand on the knob and looked down at the boy. “Ready?”

“Wait!” Ronnie said. “I’m so excited I have to use the bathroom…uh…you go on in. Tell Papa I’ll be right there.”

Before Saxon could say anything, Ronnie opened the door to his father’s hospital room, shoved her through and shut the door behind him, leaning against it with a smile.

“You little rat.” Colton grinned.

“What is it Papa always says?” Ronnie kept the door barred shut. “God only made me look stupid.”

Finally breaking away from Tippy’s grip, Claire fumed. “Well, I for one am not standing for this. I should have been one of the first ones in and if Ronnie’s not going…”

“Why?” Reese piped up.

“Why what?”

“Why should you have been the first one in?”

“Because I’m his…” Clare put her foot down.

“You’re his…?” Tippy raised his eyebrow. “…What?”

Claire let out the breath she realized she was holding. “Because…I’m his…fine…I’ll be realistic here, I’m the knocked up bimbo…but doesn’t that mean something?”

Colton put his arm around the young woman. “Of course it does and we know you are trying. We’ve all seen it.”

“But while we are being realistic, you have to know why Saxon had to go in first.” Tippy tried to use as sweet and understanding a tone as possible.

“But alone?” Claire couldn’t help but be unhappy. “I don’t think so. I may have decided to call a truce but if that woman is allowed to make a move…”

“You just insist on being the brown crayon in a box of purple, don’t you?” Tippy blurted. “Honey, you have to know when it comes to Saxon and Ian, that war is over before you can even draw up the first battle plan.”

“But I don’t have to like it and I don’t have to just stand around and let it happen.” She seethed.

“Yes, Claire.” Colton nodded. “Yes, you do.”

“I will under no circumstances…”

Ronnie looked up at her. “Miss Claire? Forgive me for interrupting, but I need to ask you something.”

“Fine, Ronnie. What?” She crossed her hands across her belly.

“You said you want to try and be good friends with Papa?”

She stumbled a moment remembering their earlier conversation. “Yes, Ronnie, yes I do, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m going to give up on the possibility of the two of us being a couple.”

“I understand.” Ronnie stepped away from the door. “Go in then.”

“What?” Claire straightened up as much as she could.

“Go ahead in with Saxon. I’ll wait until one of you comes out." Ronnie motioned to the door. "Go on.”

“No, honey, you should go in.” As much as she hated it, Claire knew that Ronnie needed to go in to his father. “You’re Papa needs you right now, not me. I’ll wait.”

“No. I insist.” Ronnie said. “I think you need to go in…please?”

The family all looked amongst each other. “Ronnie, are you sure?” Colton asked him.

The boy nodded his head. “It’s the right thing, for Miss Claire and my Papa.”

Claire hesitated just a moment, looking with bewilderment at the group. Tippy finally nodded her head. “Well, okay. I won’t stay long though.” She looked at Ronnie. “I know you need to go right in.”

She reached for the doorknob but stopped and kissed the boy on the forehead. “Thank you, Ronnie.”

He smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Claire quietly opened the door and slipped in.

“Ronnie, why did you do that?” Tippy couldn’t help be ask as they heard the door quietly click shut.

“Because it was the right thing to do.” Ronnie stepped to his Granny’s arms. “She has to see what we see. Then maybe they’ll see it for themselves.”



The room was in complete silence, except for the hissing and bleating of the machines attached to Ian’s finger, and they still didn’t know she was in the room. She instantly felt uncomfortable, like she was invading a moment never meant for human eyes to see. She stood there, holding her breath and trembled. Forced to watch and afraid to be seen.

He was white; white the color of almost transparent blue. His hair was matted in sweat, and he looked as though he’d lost twenty or thirty pounds since the last time she laid eyes on him. He looked so uncomfortable in his body, but his heart was in his eyes, in his smile and they were so happy to be alive.

She just sat there. She perched gently on the edge of the bed, only half her face could be seen. Claire could see her finger slowly inch until it was touching one of his. Her face simply smiled. That smile and slight touch soothed him in the moment it took to breathe.

Finally she reached across the bed and wiped her hand across his forehead. She pushed the soppy hair back in place and he relaxed. His entire body just sighed into place.

She spoke, so softly it was almost silent. “There now.”

He brushed his cheek against her hand before she could take it all away. “I was so ashamed. I couldn’t say anything.”

Her blond curls shifted minutely as she tilted her head. “Ashamed?”

“I thought I was going through withdrawal, all the pain killers I’d been on. I thought the symptoms were…now I feel even more foolish.”

“Sshhh!” She put her finger to his lips as he closed his eyes. “Now we know and it’s being taken care of. No more mood swings, no more pain…just you. That’s all we need again.”

His lips began to tremble. He sat forward and she took him in her arms. Claire, still afraid and shamed to take a breath, watched his body begin to tremble. At first she feared he was crossing over into some kind of diabetic tremor and then she heard the sobs.

Quiet sobs from his shaking body. She clutched him tighter, closing her eyes and held him as his body wracked against hers, her chest muffling the cries of desperation. She almost couldn’t see her rocking him back and forth, his arms clutching her tight, his heart breaking and his red heaving face buried in her chest.

He became still. She continued to hold him and he couldn’t let go. She wouldn’t dare let go. Claire knew he’d fall if she did. She leaned against the wall to keep from slipping into floor. She shouldn’t be here. It was too intimate a moment, but if she moved, if a hair fell out of place it would break. It couldn’t break. For once in her life, she knew it couldn’t break.

Ian tried to speak. Saxon couldn’t understand him.

She took her hands and gently pulled his head up to look in his eyes. “What?”

“Make it stop.” He said. “Please. Make it stop.” From her hiding place in plain sight she could see the pain in his eyes, red and puffy, barely hanging on dripping wet white, white cheeks.

“I wish I could.”

Ian sighed, the sigh when a child catches his own breath not sure if more tears are coming or if his little heart isn’t through breaking yet. Saxon looked in his eyes.

Claire watched Saxon look in Ian’s eyes, still holding his head up, and him still holding on to her for dear life. “You can do this. You can.”

He nodded his head slightly. “In a few short days you are going to be physically strong again. You’ll be able to put one foot in front of the other and not have to worry about what’s going on inside your body, inside your head. You can do this.”

He closed his eyes and swallowed hard. She closed her eyes and put her forehead on his, still gently cradling his head, and his arms still holding her oh so tight. “I will.”

With her eyes close, she smiled. He began to breathe, not just take a breath, but breathe. The world stood still another moment.

They were hesitant at first but they finally let go of each other. The world didn’t crash as Claire almost believed it would.

Ian relaxed against the bed. Saxon tilted herself back, as though there had never been a need to hold the pieces together. Claire reached behind her for the doorknob, quietly twisting and opening. As soon as she saw Superman she pulled the door shut again.

“Knock knock.” She said almost timidly. “Do you mind if I pop in long enough to say hello?”

“Claire.” Ian smiled genuinely and reached out his arms to her.

She tried not to cry as Saxon slipped off the bed and stepped back to let her fall into his waiting arms. She closed her eyes to shield the tears, forcing them to fall behind her eyes. She felt the clamminess of his body, but the strength of Ian Justyn’s arms gripped her and she gave up.

Claire gave up the dream that she was what Ian needed. It hurt like hell, but she knew that she could never have participated in what she just witnessed and have the same outcome. She also had the push herself away from him or someone would have to hold the pieces that were left of her together.

“Ronnie will be right in.”

“Is he alright?” Ian asked as he leaned back on his bed, but held on to her hand.

“He’s fine. A little excited.”

Saxon tapped on the bed. “I’ll slip on out and let him come in.”

Claire gently grabbed her forearm. “No. You stay. I just slipped in for a moment, just long enough to see for my own eyes that Superman was alive and well and taking up bed space in Metropolis.” Ian tugged her hand to his lips and kissed her fingers. “You look…awful.”

Ian laughed. She loved it when she made him laugh. “I’m sorry I scared you.”

“Don’t apologize to me.” Claire said. “Apologize to poor Rodie. I thought that fur ball was going to have some kind of seizure, racing around the house every little hair standing on end, spitting and clawing. Tippy had to call a vet and get something to calm the damn thing down.”

“Poor varmint.” Ian said. “Tell her I’ll give her a big wave from the other side of the room when I get home.” Concern finally came over his face. “Your mother…Miss Glo…you were on the phone…”

“Stop! Stop…” Claire said. “Mama is fine. She’s pissed at you for trying to drop dead on us…again. We’ll pick her up on Friday night and she’ll be working on some hand gestures for your homecoming this weekend.”

“She’s good then?”

“She’s wonderful.” Claire smiled. “Thank you.” She felt the now familiar uncomfortable, giddy rumble. Involuntarily her hand went to the spot on her belly. “Oh ma God.”

“Claire?” Saxon’s hands went to Claire’s shoulder and when she focused her eyes she saw the concern on Ian’s face.

“Oh not to worry. It just always comes when you least expect it.” Claire took Ian’s hand and put it on her tummy. “Some one just decided they wanted to know they’re happy you’re fine.”

“Is that…?” Ian’s face filled with wonder as Claire nodded. “Oh my…” Ian’s eyes darted up to meet Claire’s. “It feels like there’s a whole chorus line going on in there.”

“You should feel it from my end.” Claire said. She smiled and looked at Saxon, and felt the bit of unease. Claire reached out, taking Saxon’s hand and placed it next to Ian’s. “Can you feel him?”

Saxon let out a verbal breath.

“Him?” Ian looked at her. “It’s a boy?”

“I…uh…I don’t know.”

“With a kick like that,” Saxon took her hand away. “It’s got to be a boy, or a girl already wearing high heels.”

“That would definitely be Ian’s son and my daughter.” Claire remembered. “Oh…” she reached for her purse. “Look what I have.”

Ian looked at the brightly wrapped package she pulled from her purse. “A gift for me?”

“Yeah.” Claire teased. “You need another silver rattle, moron.” She gently tapped his cheek. “The first real gift for our baby…from their Auntie Kleenex Girl.”

“Stop.” Saxon gave Claire a playful shove.

“Saxon, that is so sweet. Thank you.” Ian grinned.

“Help me open it?” Claire said.

“Uh…” Saxon hesitated. “Look, maybe you should wait. Remember we’re not supposed to get him too excited.”

“Nonsense.” Ian reached for the box and started to rip the paper.

“Ian…” Saxon bit her lip and tried to keep him from opening it. “Ian, Claire…I’m thinking maybe I chose the wrong thing…would you mind…”

“Yes…” Ian looked at her sternly. “Yes, we would mind. As long as there’s not another cat in here unless it’s dead and stuffed, it’s the perfect…” Ian stopped as the lid came off and he folded back the paper.

Claire’s hand went to her chest. “Oh Saxon…” She looked at Saxon as tears slipped down her cheeks. “Oh Saxon, it’s so…prefect.”

Ian tenderly held the hand knitted sweater and cap to his cheek. “How did you…?”

She couldn’t help but wipe the tear from her own cheek. “I wish I could say I made them myself. She did give me her patterns and taught me as best she could.”

“It is hers?” Claire managed to say.

Saxon nodded her head. “I used to send her thingies of yarn…”

“Thingies of yarn?” Ian giggled, treasures still clutched preciously. “You must be a really good knitting student.”

“Stop.” Saxon scolded him. “I’d send her yarn and a check and she’d whip up a masterpiece and send it back. I’ve stock piled them. It’s a gift I always give to all my dearest that are expecting babies.”

Claire took Saxon in her arms. “Thank you, Saxon. I never dreamed I’d have something from Miss Hilary’s hands for the baby. It was something I was going to miss dearly. Thank you.”

“Hey!” Ian horned in as best he could. “My turn!”

“Ooh! Booties, too!” Claire said and grabbed them as an excuse to get out of the way. When the hug got to long and irritating, she playfully slapped at them with the knitwear. “Okay, break it up. The hoards have got to be getting restless.”

“She’s right.” Saxon pushed Ian away and gathered up the papers and box as Claire tucked Ian back comfortably in the bed.

Claire kissed Ian on the forehead, “Now try and not be a bastard for a few days so we can get you home and keep that stupid cat from driving us all crazy pacing the house meowling for you.”

“Thanks for coming.”

“Yeah. Yeah.” Claire took the gift, back neatly in the package and rolled her eyes as Saxon kissed Ian on the puffy nose.

“See you soon.” She said.

“Thank you for the gift.”

Saxon put up her hand. “You’ll make me cry.”

“Oh gag.” Claire tugged on the woman’s shoulder. “Come on. Let’s let him pretend to be weak and at death’s door for someone else.”

They waved to him as they crossed the room. Saxon was the first out. Claire stopped half way out and turned back to him. “You have until Saturday,” she pointed at him “Or I’m coming back and kicking your ass…and know I will do it, too.”

“Back tomorrow?” He laughed.

“Whatever.”

She almost lost her balance as Ronnie whizzed past yanking a barely balanced Tippy past her. Claire went directly to Saxon and whispered in her ear. “Can I speak with you alone a moment? I’ve done something and I need your help.”



“Claire Humphreys! I am so mad right now I could spit nails right into your eyes!” Tippy steamed as the doctor squirted gel on the pregnant woman’s belly.

“I was taking care of myself.” Claire said in pseudo-self defense. “I just didn’t have the money. I kept thinking I would and the next thing I knew I was the size of Super Wal-Mart.”

“Ever hear of a free clinic young lady?” The doctor stopped his work to look sternly at her.

“I was embarrassed.”

“You should have told somebody.” Some one in the room snipped.

“Don’t make me repeat myself.” Claire growled. “I kept thinking it couldn’t be true, and then well it was obviously true, and then I kept saying tomorrow I’ll find a doctor…and then…”

“That’s no excuse, Claire.” Ian looked at her from his bed in the room.

She pointed her finger at him. “No comments needed from the I just ignored the thirst, weight loss, mood swings and passing out until I was almost in a diabetic coma gallery.”

“She got you on that one, Papa.” Ronnie smiled.

“Should he be in here?” Claire asked.

“You’ve already been examined.” Saxon told her. “All he’ll see is the first images of his new baby brother or sister.”

“Is that okay, Miss Claire?” Ronnie looked so hopeful.

“Yes. It’s fine. I’m just in a bad mood.” Claire told him.

“You’re in a bad mood?” Tippy crossed her arms. “You put the life of your unborn child in jeopardy and you lived under our noses for three weeks and didn’t tell us and you’re in a bad mood?”

“Hey! Think of it as good planning.” Claire looked up from her prone position.

“How on Earth could this be good planning?”

Claire screwed up her face at the cold slimy stuff on her belly. “Six months ago I peed on a stick and thought—Hey, this will be the perfect way to get a hospital to break the rules and let everybody into Ian’s sick room at once in a few months.”

“Lucky for you, young lady, everyone is healthy.” The doctor said over the growing sound of what seemed to be Doctor Who’s Tardis landing. He adjusted the computer screen. “We should start to see the first images any second. Can everyone see the screen?”

“It’s fine doctor.” Someone said as they all edged closer.

The fuzzy squiggles appeared for all to see. There were “ahs” and sighs. Tippy took Colton’s hand.

Ian cocked his head and tried to make sure his eyes were working properly. “Doctor? Am I seeing what I think I’m seeing?”

“You’re eyes are just fine, Ian.”

“It’s my baby.” Claire felt a strange tug as she looked at the moving Rorschach test in front of her. She suddenly wanted to know. “Due date? Can you give me a due date? I was guessing I was about seven months along. My math is pretty good.”

“You’re close. I’d say you could deliver at any time.”

“Anytime?” Tippy’s head snapped to attention.

“Twins are usually three to four weeks early.” The doctor looked at Ian and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment