BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Monday, May 30, 2011

Vignette #215: Tardis Landing

“Claire Humphreys! I am so mad right now I could spit nails right into your eyes!” Tippy steamed as the doctor squirted gel on the pregnant woman’s belly.

“I was taking care of myself.” Claire said in pseudo-self defense. “I just didn’t have the money. I kept thinking I would and the next thing I knew I was the size of Super Wal-Mart.”

“Ever hear of a free clinic young lady?” The doctor stopped his work to look sternly at her.

“I was embarrassed.”

“You should have told somebody.” Some one in the room snipped.

“Don’t make me repeat myself.” Claire growled. “I kept thinking it couldn’t be true, and then, well, it was obviously true, and then I kept saying tomorrow I’ll find a doctor…and then…”

“That’s no excuse, Claire.” Ian looked at her from his bed in the room.

She pointed her finger at him. “No comments needed from the I just ignored the thirst, weight loss, mood swings and passing out until I was almost in a diabetic coma gallery.”

“She got you on that one, Papa.” Ronnie smiled.

“Should he be in here?” Claire asked.

“You’ve already been examined.” Saxon told her. “All he’ll see is the first images of his new baby brother or sister.”

“Is that okay, Miss Claire?” Ronnie looked so hopeful.

“Yes. It’s fine. I’m just in a bad mood.” Claire told him.

“You’re in a bad mood?” Tippy crossed her arms. “You put the life of your unborn child in jeopardy and you lived under our noses for three weeks and didn’t tell us and you’re in a bad mood?”

“Hey! Think of it as good planning.” Claire looked up from her prone position.

“How on Earth could this be good planning?”

Claire screwed up her face at the cold slimy stuff on her belly. “Six months ago I peed on a stick and thought—Hey, this will be the perfect way to get a hospital to break the rules and let everybody into Ian’s sick room at once.”

“Lucky for you, young lady, everyone is healthy.” The doctor said over the growing sound of what seemed to be Doctor Who’s Tardis landing. He adjusted the computer screen. “You should see the first images any second. Can everyone see the screen?”

“It’s fine doctor.” Someone said as they all edged closer.

The fuzzy squiggles appeared for all to see. There were “ahs” and sighs. Tippy took Colton’s hand.

Ian cocked his head and tried to make sure his eyes were working properly. “Doctor? Am I seeing what I think I’m seeing?”

“You’re eyes are just fine, Ian.”

“It’s my baby.” Claire felt a strange tug as she looked at the moving Rorschach test in front of her. She suddenly wanted to know. “Due date? Can you give me a due date? I was guessing I was about seven months along. My math is pretty good.”

“You’re close. I’d say you could deliver at any time.”

“Anytime?” Tippy’s head snapped to attention.

“Twins are usually three to four weeks early.” The doctor looked at Ian and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment