BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Friday, July 8, 2011

Vignette #227: Right Minds

“That was quick.” Ripley looked up from the oven when Ian entered the kitchen, now dressed in flannel pants and a tee.

“There are days all I can think about is coming home and taking Ian Justyn off, wading him up and shoving him in the dirty clothes hamper.” He was shoved into a seat at the table, a glass of fresh iced tea placed in front of him. Ian picked it up and held it against his cheek. “Today was definitely one of those days.”

“First of all, Baby Doll,” Tippy turned to him fussing over something in a bowl on the counter, “You’ve never wadded up anything and shoved it in the hamper.”

“The first time I tried to do laundry for him, I got so confused.” Ripley looked over Tippy’s shoulder. “Ooh, add some lemon juice, just a little. It took me an hour to figure out that no one in their right minds would keep clean clothes folded neatly in a clothes hamper.”

“When does the term ‘right minds’ and the name ‘Ian Justyn’ ever belong in the same sentence?” Ian mused then gulped his tea.

“Did you have a rough day?”

“Not a all. It was a great day as a matter of fact, I just didn’t want to be there.” Ian admitted. “I just wanted to be here. Maybe I just wanted to be with my family. Maybe I just wanted to get this whole nursery thing started and maybe I just wanted to come up with new ways to torture the cat.” Rodie cocked her head from her position not far from him as she had been from the moment Ian stepped in the door. “I haven’t decided yet.”

Ian stared at Rodie. Rodie stared back. “I think I’ll give the cat a bath.” Rodie freaked and ran. Ian turned to the duo making dinner. “Yeah, that was why I came home.”

“You love that cat.” Tippy scolded him.

“Do not.”

“Do, too.”

“Children…” Ripley warned. “Don’t make me separate you two.” He dipped the pad of his finger in Tippy’s concoction and tasted. He smacked his lips a moment and thought as Tippy waited anxiously. “It’s good, but it’s missing just a little something.”

“What?” She gave it a taste, as well. “Hmm…you’re right. Baby Doll, taste this and tell me what it’s missing.”

Before he had a chance to say anything, Tippy shoved a spoonful in his mouth. His eyes darted to the left and then to the right, then swallowed. “What is it?”

“Guacamole.”

Got up from the table and looked down in the bowl, then to the counter and turned to Tippy. “Simple…” He picked up two green veggies from the counter. “Try adding some avocado.”

Tippy put her hand to her mouth and giggled. “Pffffffttttt…it’s been one of those days.”

“Do you want me to take over dinner?” Ian put an arm around her, squeezed her close and rubbed her shoulder.

“That’s sweet, Baby Doll, but it’s my turn to make dinner. You go find Billy and Jude and start making some plans.”

“You sure?”

“Absolutely.”

“Okay.” He kissed her temple as she began to gently mash avocado in a second bowl. “Don’t worry, if you forget to add any other major ingredients we’ll just tell the kids it’s poor Mexican night and we have to imagine most of dinner.”

“See, you always know what to do.” Tippy laughed.

“Have you seen Clare?” Ian asked Ripley. “She should probably be in on this from the get go.”

“Actually, not for a few minutes.” Ripley sighed. “Which surprises me. I don’t know what’s been up with her today, but she’s been like this bad after shave smell wafting up my nose every time I turned around.”

“Clare?”

“Ian I swear, if I hadn’t locked the bathroom door, she’d have sat in my lap while I did my business.” Ripley shook his head, and then grabbed a potholder to take the olive oil brushed pizza dough from the oven. “It wasn’t until Jude and Billy showed up a few minutes ago that she finally deigned to let me leave her sight.”

“She’s probably just scared to be alone.” Ian looked over his shoulder as Ripley began to spread his special tomato sauce on one of the pies. “She is about to give birth, to twins, at any moment. Wait…guac and pizza?”

“It’s Thursday night.” Tippy looked up from her gentle folding.

“Vonnie chose dinner.” Ian said and Tippy and Ripley nodded.

“Honestly Ian, Clare’s driving me crazy.” Ripley put another spoonful on and spread it. “I think something’s wrong.”

“I’ll go chat with her. Where are the kids?” Ian asked as he swiped a pepperoni from the plate.

“Reese and Billy are in the den. Vonnie’s outback playing with Ralphie.” Tippy began folding her avocado in. “And Ronnie and Jesse are playing some video game.”

Ian smiled. “I love how the term ‘kids’ around here is sort of a yours, mine and ours overview.”

“Well, Baby Doll, let’s face it, we got us a redneck hippy commune goin’ here.”

“And we all kinda like it.” Ripley added while adding shredded cheese. “Don’t get too involved with the plans just yet, Boss Man.”

“Why? You and Clare gonna plat each other’s hair and paint your nails?”

“Funny.” Ripley scowled at him. “No, dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes.”

“Time to put the tortillas in the oil.” Tippy announced to herself.

“Okay, I’ll find Clare, check in with Jude and Billy then round up the little hippies and get ‘em cleaned up.”

Ian made his way out of the kitchen just in time to run into the littlest hippy, today anyway. “Uncle Ian!” She giggled and jumped into his arms.

“Vonda Rae.” He squeezed her tight. “You’ve gotten even more beautiful than the last time I saw you.”

“Just since this morning?”

“Yep, and I think…just a little bit….” Ian looked Vonnie over well. “…More ticklish!” He tickled her ribs as the child squealed with delight. He finished the tickle attack with kisses all over her face before sitting her on her feet. “Honey, dinner is almost ready. Why don’t you wash up and then head into the kitchen and see what you can do for you Granny and Uncle Ripley?”

“’Kay.”

“Vonnie.” He stopped her in mid-bounce. “Have you seen Clare?”

“Ya huh.” She nodded her head. “She’s beached on the far end of the couch. Don’t worry. Ralphie’s sitting on the other end so it won’t flip over.” With that she was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment