BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vignette #197: Proper Entrances

There was a timid knock at the door. Tippy Shores put her book down and made her way to the back of the house. She was surprised at the visitor.

“Jude? Why are you knocking? Just throw the door open and come in.”

“I wasn’t sure if I was welcome er not.” He said quietly.

“Of course, honey, you shouldn’t ever doubt that.” She smiled genuinely and the man’s tired face seemed to be relieved. “I’m about to have a piece of cheesecake and some tea. You wanna join me?”

“I’d love it.” He smiled and followed her to the little table in the corner. “How’s ever body doin’ over here?”

Tippy pulled the cups down from the cabinet and began to fill two tea balls. “I’m not sure if we’re still in shock or just bracing for the next impact. How about next door?”

Jude sighed. “We thank the Lord fer Valium.” Smiling as he looked at the generous sliced confection Tippy placed in front of him. “An’ I have ta be honest, Ripley and I doubled Ian’s tranquilizers last night. He didn’t even put up a fight. If I could have, I’d a figured outta way to shovel some down that woman’s throat, too.”

Pouring steamy water from the kettle into the mugs Tippy smiled gently and reminded him. “Good thought Jude but we need to be respectful…of the baby.”

He nodded as she placed one mug in front of him and took the seat across from him. “I ain’t had a chance to talk with Jesse. Is he doin’ okay?”

“I think so. I knew something was on his mind, but I never dreamed…I think he’s relieved.”

“And Colton?”

Tippy smiled and stirred her tea. “Jude, obviously there were a lot of conversations, a lot of questions and a lot of tears interrupted by the attack of the Pregnant Monster, but I don’t think anything has really changed for us. The incident just made everything legal for lack of a better term.”

“I didn’t know.” Jude blurted out. “I swear I had no earthly idea. If I did I’d a pulled someone off to the side and said, hell I don’t know…”

“What can you say Jude?” Tippy looked at him. “There is absolutely no one to blame here. How about Ian? Has he had a chance to talk with you or anyone about that bit of the news?”

“Tippy, that Clare woman basically hasn’t given the man a chance to wipe his behind. We thought it would quiet’en down a little when Ian ran screamin’ off to work this mornin’, but she’s still there squallin’, makin’ demands and threatenin’ everything from Ripley to the wall paper.”

“This is not what Ian needs right now. He’s still recovering.”

Jude nodded his head. “What kin we do? We’re all tryin’ to ignore her, but that just seems to make it worse.”

A little bling sound went off. “Hold that thought, Jude.” Tippy smiled when she looked at her phone. She winked at him as she pushed the button. “Hey, Baby Doll…uh huh…you’re gonna what…uh uh…sure honey…oooh that’s a good idea…are you sure…okay…love ya, Baby Doll.”

Tippy hit the end button and lay the phone down on the table. “Okay, here’s the plan…”

No comments:

Post a Comment