BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Vignette #206: Blue's Clue

“This is so cool!” Vonnie whispered her squeal to Ralphie as they followed the beam from her little flashlight. “The mean fat lady was right. Every girl should have a purse. Daddy didn’t even know I swiped the flashlight from his tool box.”

Ralphie wagged his tail and carefully watched the toddler’s every step.

“It’s dirty in here.” She stopped in her tracks and turned to the dog. “You can’t tell on me. You been walking through walls longer than I have. You rat me out and you’re in just a much trouble as me.”

She began to walk forward again. “Well, I won’t be in too much trouble. Daddy said not to leave the house and we’re still in the house. Just in a part they can’t see cause they ain’t magic.”

Vonnie stroked Ralphie’s coat. “I feel just like Harry Potter, only pretty.”

They both froze as they heard something kick across the floor. Vonnie dropped the flashlight, still on, into her purse and snapped it shut. “Nobody’s here.”

She squatted down and put one arm around the dog’s middle and gently wrapped her other hand around his muzzle. “Shhh!” She whispered softly.

Vonnie waited to make sure she didn’t hear another noise. Letting go of Ralphie, she slowly stood up. “That was a close one. I thought we got caught.”

She pulled the flashlight back out of her purse and pointed it around in the dark. “Kay, move ‘em out.” She started to move and heard a crunch this time.

Again the girl and the dog froze. This time Vonnie lowered the flashlight to her feet. “Ooh, look Ralphie we got mail!”

In the little puddle of light at her feet, Vonnie could see a pile on the floor, one foot resting on some envelopes.

Placing the light on the floor, she sat cross-legged and opened the flap on the top envelope. She slipped the paper out of it and pretended to read it.

“It’s from Ronnie.” She told the dog. “He says he loves me and wants me to marry him.”

She folded the paper and slipped it back in the envelope as Ralphie licked his jowls and curled up beside her. She repeated the process with each envelope finally patting the dog on the head. “There all the same. Yep, he’s got it bad for me.” She sighed.

“Ooh!” She let out. “Brrrring…Brrrring!” She imitated and picked up the cell phone that she found in the pile. “It’s for me.” She told Ralphie, flipping it open and holding it to her ear.

“Yes, Ronnie?” She said. “I know you want to marry me, but I’m just not sure…Uh huh…well I can say I’ve narrowed it down between you, Justin Beiber and Santa Claus.”

Vonnie put her hand over the cell phone and whispered to Ralphie. “Gotta play hard to get. That’s what Hannah Montana would do.” She went back to cooing on the dead cell phone.

Ralphie sneezed and put his paws on the pile of clothes Vonnie’s new toys came from. As she jabbered into the cell phone, the dog finally laid his head on his paws and settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment