BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Vignette #204: Vonnie's Gift

As usual, Vonnie began her evening strut through the living room. Tonight, Clare was prepared. She knew what she had to do. She didn’t like it, but if this were going to work it was what she had to do.

She cleared her throat and then called to her, “Verla? Verla, may I speak with you?”

The tot continued past her.

“Verla!” Clare said with more determination.

The four year old stopped and turned to face her. The child pointed at herself.

“Yes you.” Clare plastered on what she hoped was a convincing smile. “I’m talking to you.”

Vonnie put her hands on her hips and took a step towards her. “What’s up Clem?”

“My name’s not Clem.” Clare tried to avoid swatting the little monster.

“My name’s not Verla.”

“Oh…sorry.” Clare patted the couch beside her. “Come, sit with me a minute.”

“You got cash?” Vonnie raised a very stern eyebrow.

“I went shopping today.” Clare admitted. “I’m broke.” Vonnie shrugged her shoulders and turned to leave the room.

“But I have something for you.”

That got the child’s attention. Clare patted the couch again with a smile, knowing she’d just drawn the fly into her web.

As soon as the munchkin settled beside her, hands in lap, feet sticking straight out, ankles on the edge of the sofa Clare prefaced the box she reached for under the coffee table. “I saw this today and thought you’d like to have it. I had one when I was a little girl.”

Vonnie started to rip open the box, but stopped just short of taking the top off eyeing the giver suspiciously. “Something’s not gonna jump out of here and eat me, is it?”

“Of course not.”

“Are you sure?”

“Think about it Velma, if something jumped out of that box and ate you, wouldn’t it eat me, too?”

“I don’t know…”

“Just open the damn box!” Clare slapped her hand over her mouth.

“Your not very good at this being nice thing.” Vonnie then looked at Clare and grinned. “But at least you’re trying.” She could stand it no longer, flipped the lid from the box and pulled back the paper. Her eyes grew wide. “A purse! I been needin’ one a these.”

“I thought so.” Clare awkwardly patted the little girl on top of her head. “It’s not just any purse, it’s a ‘Hello Kitty’ Purse.”

“What’s a ‘Hello Kitty’?”

Clare frowned. “The Jonas Brothers of my day.”

“What’s a Jonas Brother?”

“Oh, God…” Clare trailed off. “Every girl needs a purse. See you can carry it as a clutch or unsnap it here and use it as a shoulder bag.”

“That is so cool!” Vonnie unzipped the top and looked inside.

“There’s even a special place in there to put your make up.” Clare said as she pointed out the feature.

“I don’t wear make up.” Vonnie looked up innocently at her. “I’m not a ‘ho.”

“Well…” Clare stammered a bit. “You can put whatever you like in there, and then it will always be at your side.”

“It’s great. Thank you, ma’am.”

“So what are you going to put in it?” Clare tried to sound like she was interested.

“Rocks.” Vonnie smiled. “I’m gonna fill it with rocks and hit Ronnie with it until he loves me.”

“Uh, sweetheart.” Clare looked down at the gleeful tot. “Hitting somebody with rocks isn’t going to make them love you.”

“No?”

“It doesn’t work.”

“They why do you do it?” Vonnie said, slipping the purse to her shoulder and hopping off the couch. She twisted around a moment and watched the purse swing then hopped over to Clare to kiss her on the cheek. “Thank you Carla. It’s perfect.”

A dazed Clare watched Vonnie whisk out of the living room to Ralphie who was waiting for her by the door at the other end of the room. The last thing she heard Vonnie say before they trotted out of sight was “Hey, Ralphie, does this purse make my butt look big?”

No comments:

Post a Comment