BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vignette #148: Just Friends

No sooner than she was out of sight another head stuck itself timidly in the door.

“Young Justyn?” David Turner stood in the doorway leaning heavily on his ivory cane.

“Mr. Turner.” Ian smiled. “Please, please come in.”

“Are you sure it’s alright?”

“We are not at the office, so today I give the orders, get your old butt in here and sit it down.” He smiled.

Turner smiled back, having a little trouble getting to the chair by Ian’s bed and having a seat. He nodded his head a moment, but refused to look in Ian’s eyes.

“Mr. Turner?” Ian was concerned. “Is everything alright?”

The old man nodded again. “I’m sorry…”

“Sorry for what?”

David Turner looked at Ian. “Sorry that I haven’t been here. I wasn’t sure that…Young Justyn, I just wanted to say…”

“Mr. Turner…” Ian tried to help him out. “I’m glad you are here…Dave. Words aren’t important. I just needed to see you right there in that chair. That means everything.”

“Ian…my boy…” David Turner could barely get the words out when a tear demanded to fall. He cleared his throat and put up his finger a moment before he spoke, not ashamed of the tears that trickled down his withered cheeks. He finally took a deep breath. “You scared me. Don’t do it again.”

“I hadn’t been in the headlines for a couple of days. I figured what the heck and went for it. How’d I do? Too much?”

Turner threw back his head and laughed. “I’m not sure whether to hug you or tan your hide with my cane. You look like you are uncomfortable enough, so I’ll let it slide for now.”

“Thank you.” Ian hoped David Turner understood exactly what he meant.

“Are you in a lot of pain?”

“As long as I don’t move or breathe deep and the Percidan keeps dripping I can handle it. How about you?”

“Better now.” Turner nodded. “I’ve been feeling a little lost, but I’m 94. I’m lucky I can still remember my address.”

“And that would be?”

“Ask my driver.”

“Thought so. So tell me, what’s going on at the office?” Ian said.

Turner started to tell him, but stopped. “You know, let’s talk about business another time. Let’s just be friends today.”

“Mr. Turner, as I’m concerned we’re already friends, every day.”

The man nodded his head and looked at the floor again. They fell silent, not the uncomfortable kind, but the kind where it feels right just to have someone else in the room that you care about.

“Family.” Ian heard the old man say almost to himself. It made Ian smile, warmly inside.

“Oh, I almost forgot.” Turner said looking up quickly.

“Forgot?”

“Yes.” He said. “I wanted to get you a gift, something special.”

“Mr. Turner, a gift is not warranted.”

“I know, but I wanted to get you something.” Turner said. “Something you’d like.”

“If you insist…unhook me and get me out of here.” Ian suggested.

“You seriously think that huge man outside would let us both just walk out and hit the elevator button?”

“You think he’d notice?”

David Turner laughed. “How could he not notice the two of us trying to make our escape to the elevator? I have no balance and you, well Young Justyn you’re just a mess.”

“I bet we could make it as far as the elevator.” Ian prodded. “I dare ya…com’mon if we fall down and break something, we’re in a hospital.”

“You stop it now, you’ll get me into trouble.” Turner grinned.

“What d’ya say old man? One last cheap thrill?”

“You are one evil child. Preying on a senior citizen, now stop.” He shook his finger at him. “I should have gone with my first choice.”

“First choice of what?”

“The gift. My first thought was to get you a cat.” Turner grinned.

“A cat?” Ian grimaced. “I have one, thank you. Why do you want to get rid of yours?”

“Actually, Patches and I are doing just fine.” David smiled.

“Patches? You named it…oh you got the little white one that looks like someone wiped paint brushes all over it.”

“Exactly!” Turner said. “I couldn’t put my finger on it but that’s exactly what she looks like. You’ve seen her?”

“Just once. Ronnie showed them to Reese and I in the barn.” Ian didn’t want to go further. The look on David Turner’s face read clearly that he understood.

“Well, I didn’t get you a cat.”

“Good. I have to admit, that Rodie and I are going to have a little different relationship if I can ever dig my way out of Stalag 17 here, but that doesn’t mean I like cats. I’ll just do my best to tolerate the one we have…a little bit more…as long as it keeps its distance.”

“I did get you something though.”

“Mr. Turner, I don’t…”

“Something I know you need, but I can’t bring it to you myself. I needed a little help.”

“Please, this isn’t necessary…”

“Yes.” Turner stood determined. “Yes, I think it is.”

Turner stepped back from the bed and looked toward the door. “Mr. Ripley, would you mind…?”

“Of course, sir.” Ian heard from outside the room.

Ronnie appeared in the doorway holding a little brightly wrapped package. “Papa?”

Ian burst into tears as his son ran to his bedside and covered him with kisses.

“See?” Turner fought the emotion again. “I knew that was exactly what you needed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment