BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Vignette #151: Given Stuff

“What a sweet lady.”

“An’ she’s funny.” Ronnie squirmed a little until he could sit on the bed beside his father. “She reminds me of Aunt Hil.”

Billy smiled. “I see.”

“Do ya like your pants, Papa?” Ronnie moved on.

“Yes, I do.” Ian rubbed his son’s back as best he could. “Did you help pick them out?”

“Yes.” Ronnie said. “And I got a present for Miss Glo, too.”

“What did you get her?” Ian asked.

“I’ll show it to you before Granny helps me wrap it.”

“Miss Glo?” Reese asked.

“Another friend of ours.” Ian told him.

“It’s a sign language book.” Ronnie said. “I know she needs to try to talk, but she gets so frustrated. Her one hand works real good, so I thought I could help teach her sign language.”

“I think that’s great, Puppy.” Ian said. “Although she’s got a few hand signals down a little too well already.”

“Miss Glo?” Billy made a connection. “She’s in California?”

Ian nodded his head. “I had her moved out here in March. I thought she’d get better care.”

“Clare is gonna be ticked when she finds out her mother’s not…”

“Billy, she hadn’t been to visit or even called the poor woman since I left Lost Mountain. I was paying for the care, and my lawyer sent Clare a letter.”

“She hates your guts, Ian.” Billy warned.

“Clare or Miss Glo?” Ian smiled.

“Aw, Papa and Miss Glo are like Papa and Rodie. They spit and hiss, but they love each other.” Ronnie said.

“I do not love that cat.” Ian insisted. “I tolerate her because you love her and the transfer has actually been good for Gloria. She’s making progress. She hadn’t done that in a long time.”

“She asked about you this morning.” Tippy smiled.

“She did?”

“The best that she could.”

“You didn’t tell her what happened.”

“Papa, all she does is watch TV.” Ronnie reminded him. “There’s no way she could not know, and you haven’t been by to see her.”

Ian nodded his head. “Is she okay?” He asked with real concern in his voice.

“Yes, Baby Doll.” Tippy smiled. “I think she was real worried, but Ronnie always brightens her snarl.”

“You visit her?” Billy was stunned.

“I’ve taken Ronnie to see her a couple of times. I’ve only go visit her by myself about once a week. The company does her good.”

“We color together.” Ronnie says. “She doesn’t stay in the lines very well, but she can’t move that one side.”

“I thought she was sort of, you know, kind of a vegetable.” Billy said.

“She’s made a lot of progress.” Ian told him. “She’ll always be wheel chair bound, but there’s not a thing wrong with her mind. She struggles to speak, usually two or three short words. I’m hoping soon the doctors will allow us to take her out on little afternoon trips and visits.”

“Oh, she’d love that.” Tippy said. “Maybe by Thanksgiving? I wonder when the last time was she had a big family holiday?”

“I hadn’t even thought about a holiday.” Ian said almost to himself. “I guess we’ll be having some big ol’ honkin’ holidays to look forward to. Speaking of looking forward to things. Has somebody in this room decided not to abandon me after all?”

“Nope.” Billy said. “I was just waiting on my ride.” He slipped his good arm around Reese.

“Well, since you insist on leaving me behind, I wonder if you could do me one little favor?” Ian asked.

“Sure, buddy, as long as it doesn’t include unhooking you and stuffing you in my backpack or…”

“Enough!” Ian said. “I get the picture. Ronnie get that little box you put away for me yesterday.”

“Sure Papa.” Ronnie bounced off the bed.

“Would you take my new car home for me?” Ian asked.

“You’re going to let me drive your fancy new wheels?” Billy said.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Ian said. “You only have one hand. I’m going to let Reese drive my fancy new wheels.”

“Are you sure?” Reese almost squealed with delight.

“Some one needs to enjoy it.” Ian moaned. “I certainly can’t. I haven’t even seen it.”

“I showed you a picture.” Ronnie handed Reese the keys.

“It’s not the same.” Ian said. “But I’ll get over it. I still can’t believe Mr. Turner bought me a car.”

“Not just a car.” Billy reminded him. “The car.”

“Yeah.” Ronnie squirmed back to his place on his father’s bed. “I can scratch Rolls off my letter to Santa.”

“I knew he’d do that.” Tippy said. “Networks always give executives and stars cars as a thank you for big hits.”

“I don’t have any hits…yet.” Ian reminded them.

“But you will.” Tippy grinned from ear to ear. “After the press conference announcing the fall schedule today, and everyone finds out about “Blood Kisses” you are going to be the envy of every suit in the country.”

“Tippy say a dirty word, throw salt over your shoulder and spin around three times.” Ian ordered her.

“Baby Doll, that only works if you say Macbeth backstage.” She giggled. “And you know what a coup this is.”

“Blood Kisses?” Billy finally got his voice back. “You’ve got the rights to Blood Kisses?”

“You know about Blood Kisses?” Ian was shocked.

“Hey, I’m an inbred redneck but I do keep up with pop culture. I’ve even read both books.”

“I’ll show ya where he’s got an advance copy of book three when we get home tonight.” Tippy half whispered.

“You have an advance of Book Three?” Billy and Reese almost squealed.

“Of course.” Ian smiled. “Why wouldn’t I? Before I took the plunge, I signed contracts to do a twelve hour limited series of the trilogy as a prelude to Blood Kisses being HRT’s newest daytime drama…”

“You talked Amanda ‘I won’t acknowledge you exist’ Jackson into turning her masterpieces into a daytime soap? No wonder they gave you a car.” Reese whistled.

“I’m surprised they didn’t buy you a small country.” Billy added.

“They’ll probably do that if it hits number one and stays there a while.” Ian bragged then chuckled.

“How did you manage to pull that off?” Reese asked.

“I’m good.” Ian said flatly. “And it didn’t hurt that Amanda Jackson is Kellen’s ex-wife.”

“Now I didn’t know that.” Tippy admitted.

“Just a lucky coincidence.” Ian said. “Now go. Take my new car home. Get out of here.”

“If you insist.” Billy stood.

“Baby Doll, what should we do with your old car?”

“The Chevy?” Ian winced as he managed to shrug with one shoulder. “Keep it.”

“What for?” Tippy asked.

“What any mountain boy does when he gets a new car. Put the old on up on cinder blocks in the front yard.”

“And the tires’ll make great swings for Ronnie and Vonnie.” Billy joked.

“You boys, stop that.” Tippy said.

“Can we knock the windows out and grow petunias?” Ronnie asked.

“Puppy, this is California. You can’t do that.” Ian informed him.

“Dianthus?” Ronnie asked.

“I was thinking lantana.”

No comments:

Post a Comment