BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Vignette #153: Personal Stuff

As soon as the boy was gone, Ian looked at Tippy. “So what’s up?”

“What makes you think anything has to be up?”

“Today seems to be the day everyone has managed to find a little time alone with me.” Ian looked at her. “Not that I’m complaining.”

“Nothing major, Baby Doll. I just didn’t want Ronnie to hear.” Tippy scooted the chair a little closer. “I talked it over with Colton, and we decided that we want to help that Miss Inez out.”

“Help her out?”

“I talked to that sweet little Rose, and we know they can’t afford the co-pay after Medicare.”

“Tippy…I…”

“So I tracked down her doctor, and told him Colton and I are going to cover her bills, on the Q-T, mind you. I saw the look on your face this morning, so I wanted you to know that she was taken care of. Not to worry at all.”

“Tippy, that’s sweet but…”

“No, buts, Baby Doll.” Tippy cut him off. “It’s all taken care of.”

“If you’d let me finish, Mamie Rae…” Ian smiled. “I already took care of that. I told Dr. Hunter when he was in here a few minutes ago that I’d take care of it, anonymously.”

“Great minds think alike.” She leaned over and kissed him. “But you’re too late. I went straight to the horse’s mouth, Dr. Weiss her primary. I even thought to have them send her to be Miss Glo’s roomie for her physical therapy. That ought to be a kick, don’t you think.”

“Great minds think alike.” Ian smiled.

“So you spend your money on somebody else.” Tippy said. “But I’ll tell Miss Glo it was your idea just to see her riled up.”

“Oh, can I do that?” Ian begged.

“Can he do what?” Wella asked as she appeared.

“Wella,” Ian brightened up even more. “I didn’t think I’d see you again today.”

“I brought you a little surprise.” Wella smiled. “Hello, Tippy.”

“You’re gonna help me break outta this joint?” Ian piped up.

“No.” Wella pulled a laptop out of her purse. “We’re going to watch the Fall Schedule press conference.”

“That’s not for another couple of hours is it?” Tippy asked.

“Well, between Ian and I, it may take that long to get this thing set up.”

Wella sat it on the roller tray as Tippy’s purse rang. Tippy dug in it, pulled out a cell and looked at the ID with a scowl.

“Is that my phone?” Ian asked.

“No.” Tippy flipped it open and spoke. “Hold on a minute, please…too many electronic gizmos in here with him, I’ll take this outside or something might explode.”

“Good idea.” Wella nodded her head and rolled the tray toward Ian’s bed.

“Are you sure that’s not my phone?”

“Positive. I’ll be right back.” Tippy grabbed her purse and walked straight to the nurse’s station before returning to the phone call. “How did you get this number?”

“You again…I might have known.”

“Clare, you shouldn’t be disturbing him.” Tippy snapped.

“I know. I’m sorry. I just had to know…”

Tippy closed her eyes. “He’s doing fine. He’s got a long recovery ahead of him, but he’s doing fine.”

“Thank you.”

“Look, Clare, I know this is hard on you, but Ian’s got a different life now. It’s time you did the same. I feel for you, I honestly do, but…”

“I’m trying.” Clare said. “I really am, but after seeing all the headlines…”

Tippy could hear the fear in her voice. “And I apologize. No one thought to contact you, of course, no one knows where you are and that’s probably a good thing, but I know that you must have been terrified.”

“I appreciate the thought…and the apology. I’ll leave you alone now.”

“That’s probably best.”

“Thank you for taking the call.”

“Of course, and Clare…”

“Yes?”

“If, God forbid, something should happen, I’ll contact you and let you know what’s going on.”

“Thank you.”

“Can I reach you at this number?”

“Yes.”

“Just promise me, that you’re moving ahead and that you’re not going to bother Ian again.”

“I’m doing my best but there are a few circumstances that I can’t go into right now.”

“Circumstances?” Tippy switched ears. “What circumstances?”

“I can’t get into it right now.” Clare squirmed.

“Clare? Is something wrong?”

“Of course not.”

“Then what did you mean?”

“Just a bad choice of words.”

“Are you in some kind of trouble?” Tippy had to ask.

“Look, thank you for letting me know about Ian. Everything is fine.”

“Are you sure?”

Suddenly Clare’s voice got very low. “I have to go. Goodbye.” And the signal dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment