BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Friday, October 8, 2010

Chapter Three: Connection

Ian pulled his favorite pair of sweats on and found an old wadded up tee shirt. He knew there were a pair of old sneakers somewhere as he figured he’d get really dirty trying to pull down that old gate. That was his goal for the day.

Aunt Hil had told him to always set a goal every morning, and at night before going to bed surmise how well he had reached that goal. It didn’t have to be complicated, just attainable. Today, it was figure out what to do about that nasty gate in the middle of all that perfection.

It was still sort of shocking to see that anywhere that he turned in his bedroom he could see his reflection from various angles in the glass doors, his thighs when he squatted, and his butt in another. They were almost like mirrors. He took a good look.

“I need to find a gym sometime soon” he thought.

He slipped on the sneakers he finally found and stepped out to the balcony. That’s when he noticed a man in a pair of shorts and barely buttoned up shirt standing over his pool skimming something out of the water. The guy was quite a bit older than he. Very tall he thought and had close cropped salt and pepper hair.

Like a territorial dog he once knew of, without hesitation, Ian was determined to find out who was on his property and headed straight for the balcony stairs that lead down to the patio. He had gotten halfway down the landing when the guy looked up and smiled.

“Hey there, fella!” the man said in a voice he almost but not quite recognized.

Ian’s anger and curiosity ceased when it dawned on him. “Are you the pool boy?” He asked.

The man laughed and leaned on the long white pole. “I never thought I’d enjoy saying this, but I think I’m a little old to be a pool boy.” He laughed and slapped his muscular bare thigh. As Ian approached him he stuck out his hand, “I’m your neighbor.”

“Oh.” Ian said embarrassed as the man took his hand and gave it a confident shake.

“My name’s Colton. I live over there.” He pointed with the other hand to the row shrubs and trees to the left of the pool.

“Ian”, he returned. It was nice to meet a neighbor but his mind was full of questions. “Uh, nice to meet you, but if your not the pool boy, what are you doing?”

“I wasn’t sure if you’d moved in yet, Miss Elizabeth left so quickly. She just stopped by long enough to say so long and that she’s sold the place to a nice young man she was sure we would like.”

“How nice. But that still doesn’t explain…” Ian motioned to the strainer.

“Oh sorry, Miss Elizabeth was always kind enough to let our boys use her pool. In return they always kept it clean for her. Did ever since they were old enough to get wet.”

There was something very familiar about Colton’s speech patterns, but Ian couldn’t quite put his finger on it.

“They’re grown now, me and Tippy, that’s my wife, spent most of our time just the two of us, a long second honeymoon, if you catch my drift.” Colton nudged him, with that wink wink male bonding nudge. “Our boys still live at home, the youngest just finished college. They’re away for the weekend, but will probably show up here in a day or two, so I thought I’d clean it up in case you hadn’t moved in yet.”

“Well, uh….thanks…” Ian said, but it was beginning to dawn on him. It was almost there.

“Since you’re here, I’ll tell the boys that they need to come and talk to you before they just hop right in. Hope Jesse bothers to come in the house first. When he comes home he usually just stops here first and jumps in clothes and all.” Colton laughed a deep, suddenly recognizable, laugh.

Ian’s eyes got big and the memories just flooded back. “I know you…you’re….you’re Johnny Sayles, Small Town Private Eye!”

“I used to be.” The man actually blushed. “That was a long time ago, but it bought me a good life for my Tippy and the boys.”

Ian shook the man’s hand again, “Man, Mr. Colton Shores, it is so good to meet you. Growing up, you were my hero.”

“It was a long time ago, but every once and a while someone still remembers.” He blushed again.

“Don’t you act any more?”

“Aw, I made enough from that show that I don’t have to if I don’t want to. Once and a while something comes along that interests me. It wasn’t a great show, but ran long enough to where I could have the privilege of being a little choosey about the rest of my life.” Colton went back to skimming the pool.

“Man oh man, my neighbor is the Colton Shores. I wish I could call my Uncle and tell him. He’d finally be impressed.”

“Well give him a call. I’ll even talk to him and tell him what good buddies we are.” He offered.

“Thank you sir, but my Uncle passed away. I’m sure he couldn’t hear the phone ring over the flames and sinners screaming for mercy.”

Colton laughed that big hearty laugh again. “You’re funny. I like that, but you’re gonna have to cut the sir nonsense and call me Colton or Colt, my friends call me Colt.”

Ian was thrilled. “Sure thing, Colt.” Then the second dawning happened. “Uh, Colt, why do your boys use this pool? Surely you have one of you own.”

“Oh, yeah.” He smiled as he emptied the skimmer into a small trashcan. “But you know how kids are, afraid they’ll get caught skinny dippin’ by their Mom. Little rascals always jumped out of their clothes ever chance they got. Course as they got older they didn’t want Mamma to see, like she never diapered um or wiped their butts.”

Ian nodded, understanding.

“Miss Elizabeth and Mr. Herman always loved it when they came over and didn’t seem to mind that they’d get nekkid and bring their girl friends over late at night. They said it never bothered ‘em. Made ‘em feel young again just knowing that youth was frolicking around the backyard. They were great people. We’re sure gonna miss them”

“I only met her briefly, but she seemed nice and determined I buy this place. She seemed in a hurry to go live with her grand daughter. I’m sure I’ll hear from her soon, everything isn’t technically legal yet.”

Colt cocked his head to one side and squinted his right eye, a trademark gesture that had made him famous, “That’s a little odd.”

“I thought so myself, but she made me a deal I could not refuse, especially once I got a look at the place.” Ian turned and gazed at what he still could not quite believe was his. “We signed some initial paperwork and she left that afternoon, took her to the airport myself. It all happened so fast, like it was meant to be. I moved what few things I had in last weekend.”

“Hmm…” he pondered. “Don’t mean to sound like a small town private eye, but you must have heard something wrong.”

“What do you mean?”

“Miss Elizabeth doesn’t have any relatives, or at least none that we know of. Tippy and I have lived next door to her and been like family for over fifteen years. Course she’s 92, and we were getting a little worried when on more and more occasions she’d talk about yesterday like she was there.”

“That is a little odd,” Ian thought, “but I know for a fact that I put her on a plane to Ohio.”

“Yeah, that’s were she told us she was going. Said she had found a little assisted living place where she could live out the rest of her time without having to worry about being a burden to any one.” Colt shook his head. “Tippy and me felt so bad about that. We always thought of her as family, and told her we wanted her to stay that we wanted to help take care of her.”

“But she said no?” Ian asked and Colt nodded in agreement.

“She did promise she’d keep in touch and that if she ever needed anything she’d call. Hell, Tippy cried like a baby all day and told her she’d drop everything and come out to wherever Miss Elizabeth was if she ever needed anything.” Colton looked like he could almost cry himself. “Such a fine woman. So was Mister Herman. Me and Tip figure that sooner or later she will need looking after, and we promised ourselves that we’d do it, whether Miss Elizabeth liked it or not.”

“I didn’t have many women in my life. She kind of reminded me of what little I remember of my grandmother.”

Colton laughed. “Hope you didn’t tell her that, she’d kick your ass. She was nobody’s grandmother. Reece, my oldest, called her that one time, and I never saw her face get so blood red in my life. She insisted that the boys call her by her first name, and out of respect we all added the Miss. She seemed to like that. She was a firecracker.”

They looked at the pool water in silence for a while. Finally, Colton rubbed his nose with his shirt tail and turned to Ian. “So have you ever had a pool before?”

“Had a mud hole in the crick once before Uncle Nate found it and ripped down the dam we’d made.”

“Well, let me show you what you need to do….”

For the next hour or so, Colton taught Ian how to maintain his newly acquired accoutrements. He wrote some things down on a pad so he wouldn’t forget. Colton assured him that he and the boys would be happy to pitch in. Ian even felt comfortable enough to tell him that he had plans to eventually tear down the wall. Colton even went over and helped him inspect it and made some suggestions on how to go about it.

They ended up at the old rotting gate. Colton rattled the handle a little but it wouldn’t budge. It was a thick and heavy, and reeked of rotted wood. Ian was determined to at least get it down. His weekend would not be complete unless that thing was gone.

Colt disappeared for a moment and came back with a large sledgehammer. It was heavy enough to make the big man’s biceps bulge just carrying it. “Stand back buddy, if this won’t take ‘er down, the damn thing will outlast us both.”

With that he picked it up and swung as hard as he could. It landed square on the old gate with a thud. They both laughed.

“I think I just lost confidence in my manhood.”

Ian beat his chest, “It’s just some iron and wood, Colt, give it one more shot!”

Colton took a deep breath and swung at the door one more time. This time they heard a crack and then a bark.

They looked at each other blankly. “It’s alive!” Ian said and then they heard some scratching and another bark. Then a creak and some more scratching. Slowly the door swung open toward them.

“What idiots!” Colton said, “It opens from the other side.” Ian reached his fingers in the crack and pulled. The gate swung open freely and revealed a happy Irish setter on his haunches wagging his tail.

The excited setter jumped through the opening, his size knocking Ian backward onto Colton. Ralphie jumped and licked them both over, the two men laughing and struggling. Ian finally managed to remove himself from the pile and pulled at the dog’s collar enough the free up his new friend.

The dog quickly settled himself down as Ian and Colton brushed themselves off and laughed. “I think his name is Ralphie or at least that what I heard some man calling out.” Ian said.

“So it’s that guy’s dog. I’ve heard one around, but not seen it. The guy who lives over there hasn’t been there long. Haven’t had the pleasure yet but, Tippy says she’s seen him jogging in the morning a couple times. We don’t see him around otherwise.” Colton cocked his head to one side and thought a moment. “His name’s Jackson something or something Jackson,” as he scratched the dog behind the ears. “Miss Elizabeth was rather fond of him, and she didn’t take to just anybody.”

“Miss Elizabeth knew him?” Ian asked.

“Had to, he rents from her. She owns that house and the apartment building on the other side of you.”

Remembering the majesty of the building he was referring to, Ian said in surprise, “That’s an apartment building?”

“Used to be one of the mansions around here, but the Elysians turned it into an apartment complex, years ago. They were always very picky about anyone they rented to. That Jackson is an ex-cop. Miss Elizabeth said he’d be good to have around, would make everyone safer.” Colton stood up and brushed himself off. “As long as it made her feel safer, they were fine by us.”

“I take it she didn’t care to be alone much.”

“No, seemed so lost after Mr. Herman died…”

“Well at least that answers a question or two in my head.” Ian mused to himself.

“Oh?” Colton prodded.

Ian smiled. “She sold me this caviar of a house at a bubble gum price and I wondered why. Don’t get me wrong I jumped at the deal, but since she obviously is in no need of income, I don’t have to feel like I took advantage of her generosity.”

Colton smiled assumingly. “Ian, my friend, no one, and I mean no one, took advantage of Elizabeth Elysian. She was one tough cookie. She had a reason for doing everything, and if she made you a deal, you can rest easy that she got exactly what she wanted.”

“She did say that money wasn’t an object in the sale. She just wanted to be sure that it went to the right person.”

“Then, obviously, you’re the right person. Relax, enjoy your new home, no guilt, no worries.” He scruffed Ralphie’s ears one more time. “Now let’s see if we can redeem our manhood, buy getting this old gate down.”

Within fifteen minutes, and the aid of a screwdriver Colton produced, they had the gate down. It was heavy enough that the both of them could only drag it. They managed to get it inside Ian’s yard and lean it up against the wall. Colton said he’d get his chainsaw and help cut it up and then call someone to have it hauled off.

The rest of the day flew by, Ian enjoying Colton’s help and company, and Colton enjoying getting to pal around and as he said “do man things with a buddy.” They piled the four inch thick pieces in a large unruly pile in a shadowy corner of the back yard.

They were just wiping the sawdust off themselves when they were interrupted by a woman’s voice from just behind the shrubs on Colton’s side. “Honey, I’ve got dinner ready. Why don’t you hard workin’ boys clean up and come over here and let a woman serve you some supper?”

Ian hadn’t even thought about eating. He was starving but was embarrassed to eat a meal cooked by a woman he hadn’t met, unless of course he was at a restaurant. He was a small town boy, but they did have restaurants in Southwest Virginia.

“Thank you ma’am,” he yelled into the greenery, “but I reckon I’ll just see if I can get this dog tied up so he doesn’t run out in the road and go on in. Thank you, though.”

The shrubbery was silent for a moment, and then the woman’s voice drawled very definitely back across. “Honey, I didn’t ask you to come and eat. I told you to come and eat. Now go tie up that dog, wash your hands and sit your butt down at my table!”

Colton looked Ian in the eye. “Miss Tippy has spoken.”

“Uh, yes, ma’am”

“That’s better.” The shrubs said. “You, too!”

“Coming!” Colton stepped to a small opening between the trees, stopping momentarily to speak to Ian. “I’ll see you in a moment” and disappeared.

The shrub shouted again, “You got fifteen minutes, honey. Don’t make me come after you.”

Ian was actually kind of terrified. “Yes, ma’am’, fifteen minutes, ma’am!”

Ian heard the shrubs giggle and faintly say, “I think I’m gonna like him, now give me a kiss.”

At first Ian thought about leaning over and bussing the unruly ewe, but realized that she was probably talking to her husband now on the other side. He looked at Ralphie, who seemed to be a little afraid to move himself, “Well you heard her, let’s get you secured so I can wash up and have some supper.” Ralphie turned and immediately walked back to his side of the wall.

Ian found a chain on a spike hammered in the ground but couldn’t figure out where Ralphie had come out of or gotten away from, remembering the only time he had seen him the dog was inside the house. Ralphie allowed Ian to clip the chain to his collar. He went over to his own kitchen, filled a bowl with water and placed it back in the shade near Ralphie.

He left a note taped to the back door, explaining that the dog had gotten lose and he had chained him up afraid he might get out on the road. He started to sign it “See You Later” or “Thanks”, but then decided “Your New Neighbor” was better.

He quickly washed his face and hands, pulled on a fresh pair of jeans and clean shirt and headed toward the bushes. As a final thought, he since he didn’t have a bottle of wine or a dessert to offer, he grabbed a pitcher of iced tea that he’d made last night and took it with him.

He walked to the shrubs and hesitated before stepping through the small opening to the other side. He was a little afraid of ‘Tippy”, but he took a deep breath, clutched a blue plastic pitcher of Tetley to his chest and pushed himself through.

As soon as his feet came together and the green blackness cleared, Ian felt like he had stepped through Alice’s looking glass. He found himself standing on the back patio of what he’d always dreamed a TV star’s mansion would be. It had the staccato bricks, the expensive furniture, and a glass table by a huge kidney shaped pool, set with candles and dinner for three. And there in front of the pool stood Miss America—literally.

Mamie Rae Tipton had been crowned Miss America when he was tiny. At that time, she had been the youngest winner ever, barely nineteen, but she had stunning looks, and a vibrant charisma exceeded only by a stunning singing voice, becoming one of the most popular choices ever.

Her career had encompassed it all, from Broadway to films and recordings, even making a name for herself as a popular talk and game show guest. There was even a variety show, “Tippy Time”, for a couple of years, when variety shows were fashionable.

Ian found had a picture of her wearing a red one-piece bathing suit and lounging on the beach. He had ripped it out of a magazine he read while waiting to get his hair cut at the barbershop. She was a girl from East Tennessee, not far from his own Southwestern Virginia home, so even at nine and culturally ignorant, he knew who she was. Ian saved that picture for years; he wondered momentarily whatever had happened to it.

And there his first wet dream stood before him, hands on hips and dazzling smile beckoning him into her, just like that never quite forgotten picture. “Aw, ain’t you just the cutest thing!’ She turned to Colton standing beaming behind her. “No wonder you took to him so!” She took a step over and scooped Ian up into a big hug. “Oh, honey it is so good to meet you! Miss Elizabeth was right!”

Ian couldn’t speak. Miss America’s still firm and very full round breasts were pressed against his chest. “I’m happy to meet you, Miss Amer…uh…Tip…uh Mrs. Shores.” He managed to sort of get out.

“Call me Tippy, Baby Doll, everybody does. And what have you got here?” She didn’t wait for an answer, just popped open the top and looked in. “Is this sweet iced tea?”

Her beaming eyes grew impossibly wider, and her smile out phased the moon “How did you know? I die for this. I just can’t make it good.” She grabbed him by the arm and led him to a chair. “I’m a Southern girl, but just can’t quite make it like my mama. Never tastes the same….”

She picked up a glass from the table she had obviously already poured and been sipping from. “I made this.” She tossed the contents on the ground. “I can’t wait to try yours…”

“Actually, it’s not fresh. I made it last night…” Ian tried to explain, not wanting her to expect miracles in a plastic container he’d bought for a buck at the dollar store.

Too late, she had produced a fresh crystal glass, cubes of ice and poured herself a glass faster than a speeding bullet. “Pishaw, Baby Doll.” She took what could only be described as a lady like swig. Her hand immediately went to her chest and she closed her eyes. “Oh my Gawd…” she drawled.

Tippy picked up the expensive pitcher from her table and practically slammed it into her husband’s chest. “Colton, honey, throw this shit out and we’ll have us some steak.”

Colton didn’t have time to respond before Tippy slipped her free arm, the other guarding her teas glass like a prisoner guards his food, around Ian’s waist and lead him to a seat. “Now you have to tell me, what part of the South you’re from, Baby Doll, and don’t yank my chain. You’ve worked hard to ditch the accent, and there’s just enough left to color, but only a true Southern boy knows how to make tea like that.”

She eased him very quickly into a chair, and filled two empty glasses at the table from his cheap pitcher and placed the remainder right by what he assumed was her plate. She seemed to never take a breath and kept right on. “I’m a Tennessee girl, you know, just a small town…Mountain City.”

She batted her eyes and took another ladylike swig, giving Ian a chance to give her a big smile before finally getting a chance to say something. “Now, who’s yanking whose chain, Miss Tippy? You tell people you’re from Mountain City, but you’re not. You’re from Shouns, the Bloody Third to be exact.”

Tippy practically did a spit take. “How on Earth did you know that? I’ve told people that for so long, just because I got tired of hearing they couldn’t find Shouns on a map? Colton, honey, be a dear and get those plates from the warming cart over there.”

“Well, these days it’s actually true.” Ian sipped from his own glass. “They closed the post office in ’76, and all of Johnson County’s practically Mountain City now.” He smiled at his own knowledge of her small town.

“Don’t tell me,” she chattered. “You can’t be from Johnson County!”

“No, ma’am.” Ian said quietly. “But we’re practically neighbors. I’m from just over the state line in Virginia, a little place called Lost Mountain.”

“That tiny bald spot between Bristol and Wytheville? I thought I came from the poor side of the creek!” Colton put plates down in front of them and pulled up his own chair. “Honey, Ian’s from Lost Mountain.”

“Never heard of it.” He said cutting in to a perfectly grilled steak.

“Of course not.” Ian said. “The only thing that ever happened there was someone found a quarter by the road…once.”

Tippy sighed and pointed her fork at Ian. “Eat your food Baby Doll. I can’t believe I have a real neighbor for a neighbor. We true Southerners have to stick together in this town you know. Colton claims to be a Southerner, but he’s from Texas. That’s not the South. It’s a foreign country all it’s own.”

Ian grinned. “Just like Florida.”

Tippy giggled.

Colton pointed his knife. “Hey, remember the Alamo.”

“I rest my case.” Tippy grinned. “You’re family must be so proud of you. Not many get out of that area, especially all the way out here to California.” She chewed a little baked potato. “Unless of course it’s to turn tricks down on the boulevard.”

“Well, this is Hollywood. I have an option on that for next week.” Ian said as he finally cut into his own plate.

“So you going to bring all your family out here? You know, eventually?” Colton said trying to get in on the conversation.

Tippy batted Colton’s hand playfully. “He’s a Southerner, not a cockroach, honey.” With out a beat she turned right back to Ian. “So are you? You must have a big old family, lots of brothers and sisters?”

Ian felt odd. “No. No family at all.” He dropped his eyes to his plate, hoping that was a polite signal that it was a topic he didn’t care to be conversational.

“Girlfriend?” Tippy smiled. “Boyfriend?”

Colton cleared his throat. “Tippy, let the poor boy finish his food before you start pimping for him. Eat your steak son, you can fill out the application forms later.”

“I am so sorry, Baby Doll. I did not mean to pry.”

And to Ian’s delight she never really shut up the rest of the dinner. She cooed about this. She sighed about that. She called him “Baby Doll” and batted her eyes. She even let Ian and Colt get a few words in now and again.

The only sour note to the evening was when Ian’s cell phone went off, much to his embarrassment and even to his further dismay when the name read “Clare”. He tossed the phone on a yellow padded chaise, but the Shores made it better by getting him to talk about the situation and himself.

And he learned all about them. Their two sons were off on a brother outing that weekend. The youngest had just graduated college and was trying to “find himself”. The oldest had been discharged from the Iraqi conflict after having been injured twice and started a small private plane chartering business.

Tippy regaled him with how Reece, the oldest, hadn’t been himself, seemingly unable to connect since coming home. Jesse, the younger, was hoping to make some in roads while they were off to “God knows where”. They had been typical brothers growing up, fighting tooth and nail but always at each other’s bruised and bloodied sides.

It was finally well after dark. They made him feel so comfortable and so welcome. The dinner had been perfect and Tippy was serving dessert with brandy.

“This looks wonderful” Ian looked up and his hostess with warm appreciation.

“Now don’t get to excited, Baby Doll. I always give Inez Saturday night’s off and this kinda cookin’ is not exactly my specialty.” She explained.

“You do just fine, Tip.” Colton tossed in, looking eager to grab his fork and dig in.

“It’s just a Marie Calender cheesecake, but the strawberries are fresh and the whip cream is homemade.” She finally seated herself and placed a fresh linen in her lap. “Well, dig in boys.”

With that the cell phone rang. As always, forgetting what he had done with it, Ian had to look in several directions for the ring.

Colton rose from his place, walked over to the chaise Ian had tossed it on when it rang earlier. He looked down at the phone and back up to Ian. “It’s Clair again.” The man picked it up and handed it to Ian. “Wanna answer it?”

Ian slapped his hands to his forehead. “Oh my God…”

Tippy waved her hands in the air, “Oh Baby Doll, let’s just nip that problem in the bud right now. Shall we?” She put down her fork and coquettishly took the cell phone from her husband’s outstretched hand. Patting her perfectly placed hair back in place she flipped open the phone.

“Hello, darling, Ian can’t come to the phone right now…What...oh honey, he’s very busy…well if must know, he’s husband are playin’ with this new sex toy we bought last week.”

Ian’s jaw dropped and his head snapped to looked at Colton, who was just shoveling the first huge piece of dessert in his mouth.

“Oh my God!” Colton moaned. “That is so good!”

Ian wanted to jump in the pool and drown.

Tippy smiled brightly and signaled with her un-phoned hand for more of the same. “Have you ever used a feeldoe on Ian? It’s so much better than a dildo, more personal for both of ya…”

“More, I’ve got to have more!” Colton moaned loudly as shoveled more cheesecake in his mouth and leaned closer to the cell phone.

Tippy smiled broadly. “That’s it Ian, honey, give him the real thing now.”

“Oh yeah, baby!” Colton panted as he reached for his brandy. “Harder, stud! Harder!”

Ian couldn’t believe his ears as Tippy turned her attention back to the phone. “That’s right, that would make him very busy….now honey, don’t call back. We’ll be busy all night….that’s right…and sweetheart, I don’t think there’s ever a need for you to call again….Tah darling, you have a good night.”

Tippy closed the cell phone, handed back to Ian and finally picked up her fork. “There, Baby Doll. I’m pretty sure that problem is solved.”

No comments:

Post a Comment