BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chapter Twenty Five: Chameleon

Ian hadn’t had a smoke all day and decided to walk up the outside steps to his bedroom and enjoy one. It was his house, damn it, he would lock himself in the bathroom if he had to.

As he made it up to his balcony, he discovered someone he wasn’t aware had even arrived. He walked over and sat down in the chair beside him.

David Turner’s gaze turned from watching all down below to Ian. “I hope you don’t mind. I was exploring the house on my own and found my way here.”

“I don’t mind at all. I’m honored, glad you came.”

“You’ve made a beautiful home here.” The man said returning his gaze to look out over the balcony.

“Thank you.” Ian said and cocked his head in realization. He put his hand on Turner’s forearm. “I keep forgetting. It must still be difficult for you to come here.”

“Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Ronnie called me personally, you know. I don’t think there is a human alive that can turn that boy down.”

Ian smiled. “I hope he doesn’t catch on to that before he learns to use his powers for good and not evil.”

Ian caught a glimpse of sorrow flash across Turner’s face. “I can only imagine.” He said. “I can only imagine.”

Ian bit his lip. “I’m sorry, Mr. Turner. I keep putting my foot in my mouth, forgive me.”

“For what, being a proud father? Why should you apologize for that?” Turner asked him.

He took a deep breath. “You’ve never spoken much of your past, our relationship has been very work oriented. I’m grateful and in awe of you, sir, and I no more want to disrespect you than I want to remind you of anything that might still be painful.”

Turner nodded his head.

“All I really know of your past is legend and hearsay, and I of all people would understand how any conversation pertaining to the past would be something best avoided in casual conversation.”

Turner finally turned to look at him. “Ian, I am blessed by your respect and your presence in my life, but you are right. There are some things that are still very painful. It’s not that I don’t wish to discuss them, it’s just that for most people whom might ask, the answers are truly none of their business.”

Ian smiled “I perfectly understand that one, too.”

“I would hope that you think that we have more than a business relationship. Personally, I consider you a friend as well. I thought you felt the same way, you’ve practically made me a part of your family.”

Ian nodded his head. “Absolutely. I owe you so much, sir…almost everything you see, and the last thing I want to do is take advantage of our friendship, just to satisfy my own curiosities.”

To Ian’s surprise, David Turner laughed quietly. “I’ll let you in on a little secret, Ian. I am probably just as curious about your past as you are about mine.”

“My past?” Ian looked back at him blankly. “My past is pretty much a very boring open book, yours is the one that has all the pages colored.”

Turner laughed out loud and then just as quickly returned to quietly gazing out over the festivities. “I had forgotten how beautiful it was here.” He finally smiled, weakly, but truly. “This house, this place takes me back to times I’ve avoided for so long, too long.”

“Mr. Turner, may I ask you…” he hesitated only a moment and plunged forward with his question. “Why have you never gone public? You could probably put a lot of the speculation and urban legend to rest. You are probably the only person alive that knows the truth.”

Turner leaned forward in the chair and looked directly into Ian’s eyes. “You have amazing instincts young Justyn, that’s why you are where you are. Once they are refined…” Turner cocked his head. “If the world thinks you are taking them by storm now…”

Ian blushed. “I appreciate the support.”

“I’m trying very hard to teach you everything I know, and you seem to always be one step ahead of me. So tell me, what makes a piece good?” Turner posed.

Ian thought a moment. “It’s all a matter of prospective. There are so many sides to every situation, and you have to find an idea that shows the audience a side interesting enough to make the unfolding all of the other perspectives as realistic and thrilling as the one you are telling it from.”

Turner patted Ian on the hand. “You’ve just answered your own question.”

Ian smiled and sat back. “Still, maybe you should write a book, at least tell your side of the story.”

Turner smiled. “But then, that urban legend is the only legacy that any of us have to leave behind, no matter how true or how false. In many ways, as long as the world has unanswered questions about Darla, James and I, the three of us will always be remembered. Maybe not what we had hoped for, but always remembered.”

“I understand.” Ian said, although a little disappointed.

“Now it’s my turn.” Turner sat back with a smile and folded his hands across his stomach.

“Your turn?”

“To ask you a question.”

“Oh this is a game?” Ian laughed himself. “Okay, your turn, but I doubt that I am as eloquent with my answer as you.”

Turner looked at him with a devilish grin. “May I have a cigarette and some scotch?”

“Mr. Turner, you are ninety odd years old, I am not about to…”

Turner cocked on eyebrow. David knew it was going to take a little convincing. “Yeah, yeah, I shouldn’t but neither should you, and one more smoke and a belt of good liquor isn’t going to do too much more damage than it already has. Now how about those vices?”

Ian drummed his fingers on the stone tabletop. “The booze I can supply, but I quit smoking.”

Turner smiled. “Bullshit. You and I are cut from the same cloth, Ian. You’ve got a pack hidden around here somewhere.”

Ian got up from the table and entered his bedroom. Within a moment he returned with two glasses and a bottle of Chevas Regal. He poured each of them a finger full and then looked both ways before he pulled a pack of Marlboro Light 100s from his breast pocket. As he lit one for an excited Turner he warned him. “If we get caught, these are yours.”

“Yeah…” Turner closed his eyes and exhaled. “They’ll believe that…” he took another drag pulling the smoke deep into his lungs. “Damn, I think I’m getting a chubby…”

“Mr. Turner!” A shocked Ian exhaled.

“I’m 94, but I’m not dead!” Ian laughed, as Turner flicked his first ash into the little glass tray. “Now, why did you choose to be behind the camera and not in front?” He asked. “And don’t give me the standard, no talent, bull shit. You and I both know how true that is.”

Ian thought for a moment. “Fear. Pure and simple.” He sighed. “The way I was raised, Mr. Turner, whenever I brought attention to myself I was resoundly punished. I loved acting. I loved music. I could get so quickly lost, and have everything I was denied for just the few moments when I was being someone else.”

“And it was obvious that when you did that, you were gaining attention.”

He nodded and looked in his drink. “I couldn’t shake the fear, the terror that a mind numbing swift kick from out of nowhere was close at hand, and I knew that would always be there. My dreams were not to be, but then I thought that maybe I could have a hand in helping someone else’s dreams come true, some one whose fears couldn’t stand in my way.”

“Any chance you’ll change your mind?” Turner bellied up his glass.

“Not a chance in hell.”

“A lot of people are going to try.”

“I’m where I need to be.” Ian bellied up his own glass. “Anything else is just a lark.” He clutched the bottle. “Another?”

“Please.” Turner said trying not to too impatiently push his glass toward Ian.

Turner puffed his Marlboro. As he expelled and turned back to Ian a voice bellowed up the stairs from the pool. “Are you still smoking you old goat?”

“Are you still chasing women, you old broad?” Turner cracked back to a beaming Tess Sinclair.

“Just like you, friend.” She retorted as she climbed the stairs to them. “On any rare occasion some sexy gift from God gives me the chance.” Tess Sinclair wasted no time engulfing David Turner in her large frame, rocking him from side to side. It was obvious to Ian that the two had a long history of deep friendship, maybe even love.

“I take it you two know each other.” Ian teased.

“Oh, my boy, the world is small.” Turner grinned.

“And life is full of wide circles.” Tess slapped her friend playfully on the shoulders. “So, your boy here has persuaded me to come out of retirement.”

“From what I understand, it had more to do with large some of moneys than conversation.” David couldn’t stop grinning.

“She’s full of it.” Ian turned up his glass. “She was boohooing in her endless basket of fries and begging me to give her work. It was only because my son asked me to help her, that I offered a generous financial sum.”

“Yeah, right.” She cracked back. “You’re so brilliant; I’d have done it for free.”

“You always did before.” Turner joined in.

“Screw you old man!” Tess snorted, picking up the Chivas and chugging.

“You always said I had the wrong parts.” Turner lobbed back.

“Ah who would know?” Tess chuckled. “I hear it’s pretty small.” She lovingly chucked Turner under the chin, before turning to Ian. “You on the other hand…”

Ian put up both hands and stood. “With that, I’m out of here. I should get back to the little people.” Ian smiled, leaving the bottle and the pack of smokes on the table. “I’ll leave the two of you to catch up…alone with your vices.”

“Killer chili, hot stuff.” Tess hugged Ian and pinched his rear.

“Thanks”. He slapped her butt with a crack. “And Mr. Turner, thank you…”

David nodded as Ian smiled and descended the stairs. They watched him cross the pool deck and reenter the party. Tess took his seat and poured herself a drink.

“So…how much have you told him?” She asked.

“Papa! Papa!” Ronnie shouted excitedly as he finally tracked Ian down.

“Ronnie! Ronnie!” He mocked back, catching him and wrapping his arms around him.

“J.J. and Charlie want me to come over tonight and have a sleep over!” He was bouncing up and down from the excitement and probably way too much sugar.

“When? Tonight?”

“Uh Huh. Can I? Can I, please? I’ll never ever ask you for anything again!”

“I doubt that seriously.” Ian got down on his knees and tried to hold the jumping bean in one place. “Did their parents okay this or is this something you guys just decided on your own?”

“No, they suggested it. They want you to come, too!” He grinned. “Won’t it be fun?”

Ian sighed. “Puppy, tell you what. Papa needs to talk with JJ and Charlie’s parents and then I’ll let you know. Okay?”

“I’ll be good. I promise!” He was trying not to beg or whine.

“It is not a question of you being good. I trust you, but I just need to talk with them about it first.”

“Okay.”

“In the meantime…” Ian turned his son around so he was facing the balcony. “Some one is here that you invited and I think you should run up and gave him a big hug and ask him how his stupid cat is.” Ian pointed until his son’s eyes followed.

“Mr. Turner!” Ronnie bolted in the direction of the old man.

“Amazing. You just point your finger and off every one runs in the direction you choose.” The woman’s voice drifted down over him.

“That’s because I’m magic.” He stood to look in her beautiful blue eyes. “Shh! Don’t tell any one. It’s a secret.”

“Safe with me.” Saxon Allen slipped her arm around Ian’s waist and meandered with him back to the food spread. “I forgot how good your chili is.”

“You can’t really judge whether or not chili is good until the next day. If it doesn’t repeat, I didn’t add enough cumin.”

Saxon, of course, laughed. She picked up a homemade potato chip, turned around and nodded her head. “So what do you think?”

Ian turned his head and spotted Reese and Billy oblivious to anyone but each other. “Awkward.”

“I’m happy for both of them.”

“Oh me, too. I just…”

Saxon turned back around to him. “Reese told me Billy was so worried about your reaction, if nothing else the last thing you needed was another shock.”

Ian’s laugh was quiet. “Saxon, the last thing it was to me was a shock. You can only walk in your dorm room so many times to find a strange red-faced guy and hearing the excuse “I was so drunk I don’t remember anything”. Even I know two plus two is five.”

“Four. Two plus two is four.”

“That’s why I have an accountant.” Ian looked the couple and back to Saxon. “I feel awkward because Billy is like a brother, and Reese has quickly become one, too. Normally, I’d pull Reese aside and say you hurt him and I’ll break your face, now if someone gets hurt I’ll have to kill both of them.”

“Tippy’s already introducing him to everyone as her son-in-law.”

“And you’re surprised?” Ian snatched a piece of cheese from Saxon’s plate and filled a cup with tea. “I’m a little worried about the ease at which everyone is taking it here. When he goes back home it’s going to be a totally different story.”

“Speaking of totally different stories, I loved that script you gave me.”

“And?”

“And I’d love to do it, but you’re right totally uncastable, even if I could get backing.”

“Well, it was worth a shot.” Ian’s head whipped toward the kitchen. “Excuse me, Saxon. I seemed to be needed in the kitchen.” He kissed her cheek. “See you later?”

“Won’t leave until I say goodbye.” She smiled.

“Better not.” Ian pointed his finger at her and went toward Colton having a nervous breakdown in the kitchen doorway.

Saxon watched him and sighed.

“Do not try and tell me again that you aren’t interested.”

Saxon hung her head. “Tippy that’s a one way ticket to nowhere.”

“I don’t think so.” Tippy took her hand and pulled her over to a set of lawn chairs in the shade. “Honey, I think the time is right. Make a move.”

“I don’t think so. I’ve seen too many really good friendships ruined because someone decided it was time to make a move. That never works. I love Ian too much to give up what I have with him.”

“But that Clare thing is out of the picture.” Tippy looked at the little boy bouncing across the yard. “And he’s got Ronnie now. The path is clear. I’d think about it if I were you.”

“Honestly, Tippy, since Ian came to town I’ve thought of little else.” Saxon shook her head. “It’s just not meant to be.”

“I think Ian might surprise you.”

Saxon squeezed Tippy’s hand. “I think he’d try, Tippy. I really do think he’d give it everything he had, but in the end he’d never open up enough to let me in.”

“He was with that Clare thing for what eight, nine years. He had to fight to keep that relationship together, what makes you think he wouldn’t work even harder to make it work with you?”

“Tippy, you don’t understand.”

“Then make me, and I’ll back right off.”

“Ian loved Clare, but he was never in love with Clare. Do you understand that?”

Tippy nodded her head. “Because of Taylor.”

“Right. He was with Clare because deep down he knew she’d never break his heart. I will.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m human, because he knows I’d break my own heart trying to overcome the first real joy he’d ever known that crumbled into a nightmare he lived with for ten years.”

“Oh honey.” Tippy put her arm around Saxon. “You’re the one who’s afraid. You’re the one whose had her heart smashed to bits a few too many times.”

“Well, I can’t deny that.”

“Saxon, romance is like going camping with diarrhea.”

“What?”

"No matter how hard you try to plan or anticipate sooner or later there's gonna be an explosion. Never let it be said you didn't go for it just because you were afraid you'd end up having to beat your underwear on a rock. Besides, those little explosions in romance are half the fun, and most of the time the only thing you end up remembering."

Saxon laughed out loud. “Okay, I need to write that one down.”

“It’ll be in the book.” Tippy smiled.

“I’ll think about it, but…”

“Honey, I know all about the fear of overcoming those first great loves, the one’s that break a man’s heart into believing he’ll never ever be that foolish again. Colton is the love of my life, and I have no doubt that I’m his, but you know he was married once before.”

“He was?”

“He had one of those stories, like Ian. Poor boy in a small town, a pretty young thing swept in and made him feel like the two of them could make impossible possible but…”

“She broke his heart?”

“He found out she lied about almost every thing and left town almost as quickly as she came. Almost killed the man.”

“But then he met you.”

“He met me.” She smiled. “We’d been married a few years and I noticed that every once and a while he’d get that look in his eyes and drift off. You know me, I chased around until I got to the bottom of it. I found it on the bottom in the back of his underwear drawer--a picture.”

“A picture?”

“A picture of them on their wedding day. It nearly broke my heart.”

“What did you do?”

“Well, my first instinct was to call him on it. I mean, how dare he keep that around, and still pine for her? I gave him everything I had and he had that one little piece of his heart still hidden under his socks.”

Saxon nodded her head and looked at the ground. “Did you talk to him about it?”

“I never even brought it up. I realized that I couldn’t expect him to give me something that wasn’t his. He’d given that part of himself away. It wasn’t his to give to give back.”

“You just let it go?”

Tippy nodded her head. “You know what I did? I went right out and bought a frame for that picture. Just put that picture in it and slipped it right back in the drawer, and never said a word.”

“Why?”

“Saxon, if it weren’t for that little part being taken away, the rest would never to come to me as fully and as perfect as it is. Think about it, honey. You may just be avoiding the best thing that ever happened to either one of you, just because there’s a little vibrant part of him that should never, ever be yours because it’s no longer a part of him.”

“But…”

“One last thing, and I swear I’ll never talk about it again…today.” Tippy smiled. “You know when you walk down the sidewalk sometimes you hear the tap of your heel and sometimes you don’t? You know what that sound is? It’s the echo of where you came from.”

Tippy munched on a piece of cheese and mused further. “Sometimes you don’t hear it, sometimes just barely and sometimes it’s so loud you can’t help but recall where it came from. You still walk a straight line to your destination, but there’s always that echo of yesterday reminding you of how you got to where you are. It’s natural, not a thing wrong with it. It’s just up to you whether it makes you smile or makes you cry.”

Tippy reached over and gave Saxon a hug. “You think on that a while. I’m gonna slip up the stairs there and say hello to David Turner. You should make a point to do the same before he slips off.”

“I will.” Tippy got up and Saxon grabbed her hand. “And thank you.”

Ian almost ran her over when he stepped out of the kitchen door. “Ella, I didn’t see you.”

“Sorry, Ian. I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

“Me, either. We haven’t had the chance to chat. Are you enjoying yourself?” He asked.

“Oh, yes, having a wonderful time.” She smiled.

“I haven’t had a chance to meet your boyfriend. You did bring him?”

“Yes. He came late, but you’ve met him already.”

“I have.”

“Yes, Blue Richards.”

“Blue?” Ian thought a moment. “Oh, bartender at Open Fields?”

“That would be the one.”

“I never got the chance to thank him. He got me out of a really bad situation.”

“Can I ask you something personal? I mean we are technically off the clock, right?”

“Of course.”

“Actually it’s more of a favor.”

“I’ll do what I can.”

Ella looked Ian in the eyes. “Look, I know that every once and a while Blue likes to play with the boys.”

“Play with the…?”

“I figure what the heck, just be a man about it and wear a condom.”

Realizing, finally, what she was talking about Ian managed to get out. “That’s very…uh…contemporary of you.”

“He’s got the hots for you. I mean big time.”

“Ella, I have no desire…”

“Ian, drag the man off in the bushes and put him out of his misery. It’s really getting pathetic.”

“I’m so sorry, Ella. I really am, but that is never going to happen.”

“I keep telling him that, but…oh heck, I really liked him, too.”

“I don’t know what to say.”

“Me, either.” She said and walked off into the crowd.

“I’ve got the next number. Is it my turn?” Came the familiar Aussie lilt.

“I thought I left all the appointments for private audiences when I left the office.”

“Well, mate, when your the most popular kid in school everyone wants to dance when you throw the prom.” Jeremy took a swig from his cup.

“Never thought I’d hear that term lobbed in my direction. I wanted to speak with you anyway.”

“Here I am, at your service.”

“Stop.” Ian smiled. “Ronnie said the boys have invited him for a sleepover tonight?”

“Yes. We thought it just might be easier in the long run. Is that alright with you?”

“Easier?”

“We’re going fishing tomorrow, remember?”

Ian felt stupid because of what he had been thinking. “At the crack of dawn. I remember.”

“We hoped you’d change your mind and go with us.”

“Actually,” Ian said, “I’d love to go…”

“Great!”

“But, Billy’s visit was a surprise and he leaves on Monday morning. This will give me a day to spend some time with him and not have to feel guilty about ignoring Ronnie.”

“Invite him to go along.”

“You know, I think Ronnie’s kind of enjoying the thought of having his first sleep over. It’s a big step for him. As much as he’d enjoy having me along, I think it would make him feel more grown up if I let him do it on his own.”

“Susan and I kind of felt that way, too but wanted to let you know that you had an option.”

“Jeremy, I need to thank the two of you for being so great about Ronnie. I was a little hesitant because of the age differences when Tippy first suggested it.”

“The boys love him, and he’s a great kid. A good influence, it’s good for them to be around a kid from a normal background. We don’t want them to grow up not knowing how lucky they have it any more than we want them to grow up thinking they’re privileged.”

“I know this comes out of the blue, but have you and Susan given any thought to where you’re going to send J.J. to school?”

“We keep going back and forth, public, private, charter? It’s a big decision and ultimately we have to make a decision based on what we think is best in the long run for J.J.”

“I’m struggling with the same decisions for Ronnie. This time last year there was only one choice for him, now besides the best education possible there are other factors to determine in.”

“In other words, how best will he fit in?” Jeremy understood. “He’s a good kid, but no matter what decision we make about our kid’s education, there’s always the square peg in the round hole.”

“I don’t think Ronnie’s a square peg.” Ian said, “But will the other kids, no matter where I put him, feel the same way?”

“If Susan and I can be of any help, you know we’d love to be there for you.”

Ian smiled. “Thank you, Jeremy. I may very well take you up on that. I better go track the little guy down and get him ready.”

Jeremy nodded his head and watched Ian off to find his social butterfly. He couldn’t help but notice Ian, as he was stopped or stopped himself among the crowd. If you watched close enough, you could see that one second when the color changed.

What was it about that man, he wondered. Why was it when someone entered his space, it looked as though the chameleon changed colors? Was there one person in the world who could walk in a room and Ian Justyn just remained Ian Justyn?

“So how do you think he’s doing?” Came the voice at Jeremy’s ear.

“He’s thrown a great gathering.” Jeremy turned at smiled. “You expected anything less?”

“I didn’t mean about the party.” Colton said, lifting that one trademark eyebrow.

“Colt, I don’t know him that well. Susan and I both adore him, but he holds us at a distance.”

“He holds almost everyone at a distance.” Colton said softly. “I can’t shake the feeling that he’s not being honest.”

Jeremy turned to his friend. “Colton, if you are thinking there’s something sinister going on.”

“Nothing that melodramatic. I just get the feeling that there’s so much going on in that poor man’s head that he’s not letting on. He’s been through so much, especially lately and I’m not sure he’s come to terms with it all.”

“I don’t know that much about his past, Colton, but I know he stepped into a tornado, but he seems to be holding on.”

“There’s a lot going on with that young man. I can feel it.” The man watched Ian throwing back his head and laughing with Billy. “Something’s not quite right.”

Jeremy turned to Colton, half joking. “You don’t think he’s dangerous.”

“Only to himself.”

They stood and watched Ian scoop up Ronnie and swing him around in the air, both laughing and carefree. Jeremy saw a man he was hoping would let him be a true friend, despite a mistake they both made, but hopefully could put in the back of their minds.

Colton Shores on the other hand saw something else, felt something else. He didn’t know why, but he saw a man in danger. He saw a man trying hard to put everyone around him at ease, not realizing that he himself was just as important. It was as though Ian Justyn was some long lost part of him, and there was this instinctual need to fix whatever was wrong.

But Ian Justyn kept moving forward, smiling, making everyone feel special. He shook, hands and thanked people for coming as they began to say goodbye. He wrapped food and make sure everyone had a little something to take with them.

“Are you sure you are going to be alright by yourself?” He said as he sat on the bed and watched the overnight bag being zipped up.

“It’ll be hard, but I think I can survive one night.”

“I’ll only be a phone call away if you need me.” Ronnie told his father.

“I’ll try to keep busy to make the time go by faster.” Ian sat beside him and folded his hands in his lap.

“Your not gonna cry or anything are you?”

“Maybe.” Ian hid a smile. “But you’ll be back tomorrow, right? This isn’t like a forever thing is it?”

“Oh, no.” Ronnie said. “Just the one night, you couldn’t make it much longer without me.”

“You’re so right.” Ian hugged his little boy and kissed the top of his head. “Did you remember to put food and water out for that thing?”

“Taken care of.” Ronnie said. “Rodie will be fine until I get home tomorrow, but if you get lonely she’ll cuddle up with you.”

A shiver went down Ian’s spine. “If I ever get that lonely, I’ll have somebody shoot me.”

“Papa!” Ronnie moaned.

“The rodent will be fine.” Ian said, give the boy’s shoulder a little squeeze. “I’ll be fine, just pretend to miss me when you get home and everything will be A-Ok.”

“Oh, I’ll miss you, Papa. I’ll miss you till I get back.” Ronnie smiled.

“Me, too.”

“Ready to go, Slugger?” Susan popped in the bedroom.

“Yes, ma’am.” Ronnie stood and grabbed his bag. “I was just makin’ sure Papa wouldn’t let the house fall to pieces while I was gone.”

She smiled. “It’ll be tough, but I think he can manage. You ready?”

Ronnie nodded his head and gave his father one last big hug and kiss. Susan turned to Ian. “Are you ready?” Ian seesawed his head back in forth to indicate he’d live with it.

“You take care of my boy.” He warned her.

“Of course.” She said. “Otherwise, who’d take care of you?”

As much as he didn’t want to, he watched his son piling into the car with two other excitedly hyper little boys, and two adults. He waved as they drove off and stood in the driveway for just a little while trying to convince himself that he’d be back soon.

“Let the little guy runaway for a while?”

Ian turned around, but had to shield the evening sun from his eyes to see the man the voice came from. “His first sleep over. I think it’s going to be harder on me that it will on him.”

The man took a step toward him. “So…you never called.”

“No, Blue. I didn’t.” Ian said firmly.

Blue nodded his head. “I understand. Things got busy.”

“Yes.” Ian smiled and walked past him; up the driveway toward the front door he’d left standing open.

“What do you say, we make a little time now.” Blue gently grabbed Ian’s arm as he tried to walk past him. “No one will notice if you and I slip off somewhere private and get naked.”

Ian firmly pulled his arm from the man’s grasp. “I’m flattered, but no. I’m not interested.” He continued his walk to the front door.

“Sure. People are starting to leave now. How ‘bout if I help you clean up and discreetly stay behind. No one would know, just us.”

“No. I’m not interested.” Ian started to walk away quickly. He got to the steps of his front door. “Blue, go home. Hop into whatever transportation got you here and go home to Ella. She’s a special woman. Go home and have a chat with her. Don’t understand all this cavalier sex stuff, Blue, and quite frankly I don’t ever want to. If it’s something you want to do, fine. Just be honest about it with the person you are supposed to be honest with and leave me out of it.”

Ian left the man standing in the front yard and closed the door. He looked at the cat, sitting in the window looking outside. “Did you put him up to that, Rodent?” He squinted at the cat, who decided to ignore him and lick her front paw. Ian curled up his upper lip and walked away.

“Who are you talking to?” Saxon asked him, as she met him halfway between the kitchen and the living room.

“The varmint. I told it I knew what it was up to, but it decided to ignore me and lick itself. It was disgusting.” Ian said taking her arm and guiding her back outside.

“You’re just jealous.” She said.

“Jealous? Of that fur covered alien from Hades?”

“Yes, Rodie can lick her feet and you can’t.”

Ian stopped and turned to her. “Oh yes, I can. I just choose not to do it in front of others. I certainly have enough class not to sit in the front picture window and chew on my own toenails.”

“Of course.” Saxon agreed. “That sort of thing is for the bath.”

Ian held the door for her. “Well after the bath. The hot water and steam makes the toe nails much easier to chew.”

“See, I knew I’d been doing it wrong.”

“Now you know.”

Saxon giggled and put her head on Ian’s shoulder as they walked arm in arm. “Now I know I didn’t show up early and help with all the cooking and stuff. I’m just not real good with the hotty uppy thing.”

“Well at least you’ve learned the scientific name for the stove.”

She shoved him playfully with her hip. “But if I do say so myself, I’m quiet professional with a box of Press ‘n’ Seal.”

“Gosh, I don’t know that I can afford a professional.”

“I’ll offer my services…for free…on one condition.” She said.

Ian rolled his eyes. “Saxon Allen, always trying to weasel amendments to the contract.”

“I was thinking…bowling.”

He stopped and turned to her. “Bowling? You’re a terrible bowler.”

“Better than you.” She said firmly.

“Oh please.” Ian rolled his eyes.

“Remember the last time we went?” She reminded him. “Who broke a hundred?”

“You did.” He confirmed. “But three lanes down from where you were throwing the ball.”

“Anyone can knock pins down in the lane in front of them.” Saxon said firmly.

“That’s the point, Saxon dear.”

“Then stop plying me with tequila and spinning me around when it’s my turn.”

“Only if you stop lifting up your brassiere and flashing me when it’s my turn.” Ian grabbed her hand and headed for where the Shores had already begun to clean up. “It’s embarrassing, having to help you pick up all that Kleenex.”

The couple had to sidestep Billy and Reese who we’re pulling stuffed liners out of trashcans. “It’s about time, the one who made the mess showed up to help clean it up.” One of them said.

“I’m here, and I brought help.” Ian said. “Oh and guys, I thought I’d give you a little heads up.”

“Ronnie off with the Tysons for the night?” Reese asked.

Ian nodded his head. “And I’m gonna show this poor deluded thing how to bowl, so the house is gonna be empty. If you catch my drift.” Ian wiggled his eyebrows.

“Hmmm.” Billy tied a knot in the ties of his garbage bag. “I guess that means I’m stuck watching the cat lick itself.”

“Afraid so, but it’s always taken both me and Ronnie to do that, so if you might need to find a friend to help.”

“I’ll see what I can do.” Billy smiled and looked at Reese.

No comments:

Post a Comment