BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vignette #121: Doors

There was a knock at the door. Logan looked up from the computer. “Hey, Willy! I’m in the middle of something. Get that.”

He heard his roommate and business partner grumble, but watched him peek through the hole to see who it was.

“Holy…!” Willy turned white and bolted from the door. “I’m not here.” He said. “You’ve never heard of me.” He shrieked and disappeared into the closet.

Logan rolled his eyes and hit save on the computer. “If this is another bill collector, you’d better be hiding from me!” He grunted and then opened the door. He immediately turned white.

“Logan Snipe or William Kensington?”

“Ian Justyn?”

“No, I’m Ian Justyn. Have I got the right place?” He looked back down at the paper in his hand. “I’m trying to find…”

“Uh…Logan…I’m Logan.”

“Great.” The man smiled. “May I speak with you a moment?”

Logan hung his head. “Sure.” He stepped back and allowed Ian to enter the apartment. “Would you like to sit down?”

“That would be nice, thank you.”

“Something to drink?” Logan tried to remember what was in the fridge. “I’ve got beer…and…uhm…beer?”

“No thank you. I won’t take up much of your time. Is your business partner anywhere around?”

“He’s in the closet.”

“Excuse me?”

Logan went over to the closet and opened the door, revealing Willy trying to hide behind a few coats.

“Come out of the closet, Mr. Kensington.” Ian said. “The world’s a cruel place, but you’ll be happier for it.”

The legs behind the coats didn’t move. Logan reached in and yanked his roommate out. “Oh, hi!” Willy said. “I was just checking for termites.”

“First place I always look.” Ian said.

Both young men filed over to the couch across from Ian and sat down, hands folded in their laps, eyes on the floor.

“So, you two are the guys behind ‘Sebastian Manure’?”

“Look.” Willy blurted out. “It’s gone…deleted…history.”

“Just don’t take us to court.” Logan pleaded. “We can barely pay the rent as it is. We can’t afford another law suit.”

“Gentlemen. Gentlemen.” Ian said. “I don’t want to close you down.”

“You don’t?”

“Heck no.” Ian pulled some documents out of his backpack. “I want to sign you to a contract.”

The two boys looked at each other and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment