BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vignette #132: Vices

Ian hadn’t had a smoke all day and decided to walk up the outside steps to his bedroom and enjoy one. It was his house, damn it, he would lock himself in the bathroom if he had to.

As he made it up to his balcony, he discovered someone he wasn’t aware had even arrived. He walked over and sat down in the chair beside him.

David Turner’s gaze turned from watching all down below to Ian. “I hope you don’t mind. I was exploring the house on my own and found my way here.”

“I don’t mind at all. I’m honored, glad you came.”

“You’ve made a beautiful home here.” The man said returning his gaze to look out over the balcony.

“Thank you.” Ian said and cocked his head in realization. He put his hand on Turner’s forearm. “I keep forgetting. It must still be difficult for you to come here.”

“Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Ronnie called me personally, you know. I don’t think there is a human alive that can turn that boy down.”

Ian smiled. “I hope he doesn’t catch on to that before he learns to use his powers for good and not evil.”

Ian caught a glimpse of sorrow flash across Turner’s face. “I can only imagine.” He said. “I can only imagine.”

Ian bit his lip. “I’m sorry, Mr. Turner. I keep putting my foot in my mouth, forgive me.”

“For what, being a proud father? Why should you apologize for that?” Turner asked him.

He took a deep breath. “You’ve never spoken much of your past, our relationship has been very work oriented. I’m grateful and in awe of you, sir, and I no more want to disrespect you than I want to remind you of anything that might still be painful.”

Turner nodded his head.

“All I really know of your past is legend and hearsay, and I of all people would understand how any conversation pertaining to the past would be something best avoided in casual conversation.”

Turner finally turned to look at him. “Ian, I am blessed by your respect and your presence in my life, but you are right. There are some things that are still very painful. It’s not that I don’t wish to discuss them, it’s just that for most people whom might ask, the answers are truly none of their business.”

Ian smiled “I perfectly understand that one, too.”

“I would hope that you think that we have more than a business relationship. Personally, I consider you a friend as well. I thought you felt the same way, you’ve practically made me a part of your family.”

Ian nodded his head. “Absolutely. I owe you so much, sir…almost everything you see, and the last thing I want to do is take advantage of our friendship, just to satisfy my own curiosities.”

To Ian’s surprise, David Turner laughed quietly. “I’ll let you in on a little secret, Ian. I am probably just as curious about your past as you are about mine.”

“My past?” Ian looked back at him blankly. “My past is pretty much a very boring open book, yours is the one that has all the pages colored.”

Turner laughed out loud and quickly then just as quickly returned to quietly gazing out over the festivities. “I had forgotten how beautiful it was here.” He finally smiled, weakly, but truly. “This house, this place takes me back to times I’ve avoided for so long, too long.”

“Mr. Turner, may I ask you…” he hesitated only a moment and plunged forward with his question. “Why have you never gone public? You could probably put a lot of the speculation and urban legend to rest. You are probably the only person alive that knows the truth.”

Turner leaned forward in the chair and looked directly into Ian’s eyes. “You have amazing instincts young Justyn, that’s why you are where you are. Once they are refined…” Turner cocked his head. “If the world thinks you are taking them by storm now…”

Ian blushed. “I appreciate the support.”

“I’m trying very hard to teach you everything I know, and you seem to always be one step ahead of me. So tell me, what makes a piece good?” Turner posed.

Ian thought a moment. “It’s all a matter of prospective. There are so many sides to every situation, and you have to find an idea that shows the audience a side interesting enough to make the unfolding all of the other perspectives as realistic and thrilling as the one you are telling it from.”

Turner patted Ian on the hand. “You’ve just answered your own question.”

Ian smiled and sat back. “Still, maybe you should write a book, at least tell your side of the story.”

Turner smiled. “But then, that urban legend is the only legacy that any of us have to leave behind, no matter how true or how false. In many ways, as long as the world has unanswered questions about Darla, James and I, the three of us will always be remembered. Maybe not what we had hoped for, but always remembered.”

“I understand.” Ian said, although a little disappointed.

“Now it’s my turn.” Turner sat back with a smile and folded his hands across his stomach.

“Your turn?”

“To ask you a question.”

“Oh this is a game?” Ian laughed himself. “Okay, your turn, but I doubt that I am as eloquent with my answer as you.”

Turner looked at him with a devilish grin. “May I have a cigarette and some scotch?”

“Mr. Turner, you are ninety odd years old, I am not about to…”

Turner cocked on eyebrow. David knew it was going to take a little convincing. “Yeah, yeah, I shouldn’t but neither should you, and one more smoke and a belt of good liquor isn’t going to do too much more damage than it already has. Now how about those vices?”

Ian drummed his fingers on the stone tabletop. “The booze I can supply, but I quit smoking.”

Turner smiled. “Bullshit. You and I are cut from the same cloth, Ian. You’ve got a pack hidden around here somewhere.”

Ian got up from the table and entered his bedroom. Within a moment he returned with two glasses and a bottle of Chevas Regal. He poured each of them a finger full and then looked both ways before he pulled a pack of Marlboro Light 100s from his breast pocket. As he lit one for an excited Turner he warned him. “If we get caught, these are yours.”

“Yeah…” Turner closed his eyes and exhaled. “They’ll believe that…” he took another drag pulling the smoke deep into his lungs. “Damn, I think I’m getting a chubby…”

“Mr. Turner!” A shocked Ian exhaled.

“I’m 94, but I’m not dead!” Ian laughed, as Turner flicked his first ash into the little glass tray. “Now, why did you choose to be behind the camera and not in front?” He asked. “And don’t give me the standard, no talent, bull shit. You and I both know how true that is.”

Ian thought for a moment. “Fear. Pure and simple.” He sighed. “The way I was raised, Mr. Turner, whenever I brought attention to myself I was resoundly punished. I loved acting. I loved music. I could get so quickly lost, and have everything I was denied for just the few moments when I was being someone else.”

“And it was obvious that when you did that, you were gaining attention.”

He nodded and looked in his drink. “I couldn’t shake the fear, the terror that a mind numbing swift kick from out of nowhere was close at hand, and I knew that would always be there. My dreams were not to be, but then I thought that maybe I could have a hand in helping someone else’s dreams come true, some one whose fears couldn’t stand in my way.”

“Any chance you’ll change your mind?” Turner bellied up his glass.

“Not a chance in hell.”

“A lot of people are going to try.”

“I’m where I need to be.” Ian bellied up his own glass. “Anything else is just a lark.” He clutched the bottle. “Another?”

“Please.” Turner said trying not to too impatiently push his glass toward Ian.

Turner puffed his Marlboro. As he expelled and turned back to Ian a voice bellowed up the stairs from the pool. “Are you still smoking you old goat?”

“Are you still chasing women, you old broad?” Turner cracked back to a beaming Tess Sinclair.

“Just like you, friend.” She retorted as she climbed the stairs to them. “On any rare occasion some sexy gift from God gives me the chance.” Tess Sinclair wasted no time engulfing David Turner in her large frame, rocking him from side to side. It was obvious to Ian that the two had a long history of deep friendship, maybe even love.

“I take it you two know each other.” Ian teased.

“Oh, my boy, the world is small.” Turner grinned.

“And life is full of wide circles.” Tess slapped her friend playfully on the shoulders. “So, your boy here has persuaded me to come out of retirement.”

“From what I understand, it had more to do with large some of moneys than conversation.” David couldn’t stop grinning.

“She’s full of it.” Ian turned up his glass. “She was boohooing in her endless basket of fries and begging me to give her work. It was only because my son asked me to help her, that I offered a generous financial sum.”

“Yeah, right.” She cracked back. “You’re so brilliant; I’d have done it for free.”

“You always did before.” Turner joined in.

“Screw you old man!” Tess snorted, picking up the Chivas and chugging.

“You always said I had the wrong parts.” Turner lobbed back.

“Ah who would know?” Tess chuckled. “I hear it’s pretty small.” She lovingly chucked Turner under the chin, before turning to Ian. “You on the other hand…”

Ian put up both hands and stood. “With that, I’m out of here. I should get back to the little people.” Ian smiled, leaving the bottle and the pack of smokes on the table. “I’ll leave the two of you to catch up…alone with your vices.”

“Killer chili, hot stuff.” Tess hugged Ian and pinched his rear.

“Thanks”. He slapped her butt with a crack. “And Mr. Turner, thank you…”

David nodded as Ian smiled and descended the stairs. They watched him cross the pool deck and reenter the party. Tess took his seat and poured herself a drink.

“So…how much have you told him?” She asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment