BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vignette #139: Goodnights

It was well into the night when Saxon’s car pulled back into Ian’s driveway. The place was dark. Ian looked at the house then back to Saxon behind the wheel.

“Looks like no one’s home.” Ian said.

“Are you scared…loser?” Saxon teased.

“Loser? I let you win.”

“Yeah, right.”

“You cheated. You kept aiming the ball in the right direction, after the first game anyway.”

Saxon snorted again. Ian loved it when he made her snort. “We’ll I guess I better get inside before my father comes out on the front porch with a shotgun.”

“He doesn’t scare me.” Saxon said. “I had a great time. You are always so much fun.”

“Well, I’m easy.” Ian snickered. “Just don’t tell the rest of the football team. It’ll be all over the school by morning.” Ian leaned over and kissed her cheek. “I had a great time, too. I can’t remember the last time I just went out and enjoyed myself.”

“It looks good on you Ian Justyn.” Saxon smiled, her teeth flashing in the shadows of the streetlights. “You should do it more often.”

Ian nodded. “By the way. I found a little something. I thought you might like to have it.” Ian reached for his wallet and slipped out a little paper square.

“For me?” Saxon took it when Ian nodded. “Can I open it now?”

“Sure.” Ian scooted in a little more. “Don’t get excited. You probably don’t even remember.”

Saxon pulled the little bow and unfolded the paper and discovered a second layer of blue Kleenex. “Okay Ian Justyn. That’s just mean.” She taunted him.

“You gave it to me that way, so point that finger at yourself.” He tried to remind her.

“I did?”

Ian nodded. “Look inside the Kleenex.”

She hesitated the moment. “If this is boogers…”

“Just open it, you big baby.” Ian chuckled.

She held the tiny square of Kleenex up to the dashboard and folded back the corners. The copper reflected in the street lamps. She turned to Ian. “Where did you find this?”

“In Aunt Hil’s jewelry box. I’d forgotten about it, but as always, she didn’t.”

Saxon couldn’t help but smile. “Ian, I’d forgotten, too.” Was all she could say. He reached over and touched the soft blond curls at the back of her head.

“Reunited at last.” Ian kissed the woman softly on the lips. “Goodnight, Saxon.”

“Good night, Ian.”

Ian slipped out of the car, and waved goodnight. “No you didn’t Saxon.” He said to the night as she drove off. “I’ve seen the other half hidden around your neck every time I see you.” He smiled and fished out his key for the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment