BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vignette #116: Celebration

“Now I have no idea what’s in store for the future.” He said, standing on the chair in the outer office. “All I know is that whatever it is, we were all in this together in the beginning and we will all be in this together to the end.” He raised his glass.

“Here! Here!” Came the second.

It had been complete happy pandemonium all morning. They patted each other on the back, hugged, kissed and chugged sparkling cider, tipsy only from giggly relief. David Turner said he’d supply the donuts, and he had; a dozen for each of Ian’s team, each dozen their favorite flavor.

People from throughout the building kept coming in and going out. Each one jealously overjoyed for the underdogs. Each one amazed, that although celebrating hard, each person on that team was working harder than before, making phone calls, tossing up ideas and following through.

They had captured the industry’s attention in less than a business quarter, but they weren’t coasting by a second. They were already focusing on how to make the schedule better, sizing up the possible weak links, readying not a patch but a vaccine.

Each “outsider” who came in was welcomed, congratulated and patted on the back. They were praised for their hard work, bolstered up and made aware of their obvious unappreciated strengths. Upon leaving the party to return to their own respective departments, they had been energized, made to feel important and were contagiously ready to conquer the world.

The outer office of the fourteenth floor was usually abuzz with twenty-four people buzzing around. Today it was stuffed to the gills, everyone enjoying themselves and rubbing elbows, trading ideas and contacts. It was unstoppable.

Until Simon Kent appeared. The world stopped in its tracks, turned around and stared. “Oh, don’t let me stop the festivities. I couldn’t find anyone working in the building so I followed the trail of donut crumbs and voila, here everyone is.”

Ian picked up a clean champagne glass, filled it and held it out. “Mr. Kent, please…come join us. We are celebrating the hard work everyone has done.”

“You mean the hard work you’ve done.”

“No. I mean everyone.” Ian said, walking over to him and putting the glass in his hand. “The World On a String” would not have been possible if it weren’t for you.”

“As much as I hate to admit it, you are the one who pulled it out of the fire.”

“Who cares?” Ian raised his glass. “A toast to Simon Kent!” The room raised their glasses. “Simon without your seizing an opportunity, and not stopping until the names were signed on the dotted line there is no way that HRT would have the strongest, most talked about fall line up we’ve had in a decade!”

“To Simon Kent!” Some one said.

“Simon Kent!” Ian drank, and then tipped his head to the man. “I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think we really make a good team.”

Kent cocked his head. “I almost think you believe that.”

“I do. You dare me to work harder, and I…well I just piss you off, but the results turned out well for the network. Don’t you think?”

Kent just smiled and sipped from his glass. “Before I forget.” He put down the glass and held out something he’d been holding behind his back with one hand. “This is for you. Congratulations, Justyn.”

Genuinely shocked, Ian didn’t know what to say. “I…uh…thank you Simon.” Ian accepted the box.

“Open it.” Kent encouraged. “It’s my version of a white flag.”

Ian put down his glass, popped the ribbon and opened the box. The crowd all said “Oooh” and “Aaah” as Ian pulled out an expensive brief case.

“Six hundred dollars worth of Italian leather is some white flag.” Wella said.

“Well…” Kent grinned. “We couldn’t have the man the whole industry is staring at continue to do multi-million dollar deals sporting a Land’s End back pack. Especially now that some one finally taught him how to dress.”

Ian laughed. “Thank you, Simon. I am genuinely touched.”

“Enjoy it, Ian.” Kent put down the glass and turned to the group. “Each and every one of you, congratulations and good work. The winds are changing here at HRT. Let’s all sit back now and enjoy the ride.”

“Simon, may I walk you to the elevator?” Ian asked.

“Of course.” Kent nodded and waited for Ian to catch up with him.

“Was there something you wanted to discuss with me?” Kent asked.

“I didn’t get a chance to tell you how much I liked the pilot you presented, and I wanted to make sure I told you.”

Kent stopped and looked at him. “You are kidding?”

“Not in the least. It was in house, correct?”

“Well, yes.”

“I hope you haven’t just dropped it. I think it has some real potential.”

“Please…” Kent reached for the button and stood waiting for the doors. “We found a script and stuffed it full of as many car chases, smoking guns and big boobs as we could. I thought that was what the board wanted. No one even blinked after the first screening.”

“There wasn’t a spot on the schedule to fit it in and it needs work.”

“It’s forgotten…next.”

“Have your team take another look, Simon. Take out all the gratuitous stuff you put in, do a little recasting, some editing and I think it could be a worthy mid-season.”

“You are kidding me.”

“No, I’m not. We have four 10 P.M. shows that are either running out of steam or the competition is too stiff. We need back up and I think with some work, that pilot could be a really hot property.”

“Well…”

“Look, with your permission I’m going to send a dupe of the pilot to Scott Tupper.”

“From SyFy?” Kent was intrigued.

“He’s been interested in branching out and I think it could be right up his alley. I’ll send it to him and have him give you a call.”

“Honestly Ian, I thought it was junk, but I’ll be happy to see what Tupper thinks. You run back to your celebration now.”

“Thank you again for the attaché. I’ll use it with pride.”

“Glad you liked it.” Kent smiled as the elevator doors closed. “Sucker.”

No comments:

Post a Comment