BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vignette #133: Magic

“Papa! Papa!” Ronnie shouted excitedly as he finally tracked Ian down.

“Ronnie! Ronnie!” He mocked back, catching him and wrapping his arms around him.

“J.J. and Charlie want me to come over tonight and have a sleep over!” He was bouncing up and down from the excitement and probably way too much sugar.

“When? Tonight?”

“Uh Huh. Can I? Can I, please? I’ll never ever ask you for anything again!”

“I doubt that seriously.” Ian got down on his knees and tried to hold the jumping bean in one place. “Did their parents okay this or is this something you guys just decided on your own?”

“No, they suggested it. They want you to come, too!” He grinned. “Won’t it be fun?”

Ian sighed. “Puppy, tell you what. Papa needs to talk with JJ and Charlie’s parents and then I’ll let you know. Okay?”

“I’ll be good. I promise!” He was trying not to beg or whine.

“It is not a question of you being good. I trust you, but I just need to talk with them about it first.”

“Okay.”

“In the meantime…” Ian turned his son around so he was facing the balcony. “Some one is here that you invited and I think you should run up and gave him a big hug and ask him how his stupid cat is.” Ian pointed until his son’s eyes followed.

“Mr. Turner!” Ronnie bolted in the direction of the old man.

“Amazing. You just point your finger and off every one runs in the direction you choose.” The woman’s voice drifted down over him.

“That’s because I’m magic.” He stood to look in her beautiful blue eyes. “Shh! Don’t tell any one. It’s a secret.”

“Safe with me.” Saxon Allen slipped her arm around Ian’s waist and meandered with him back to the food spread. “I forgot how good your chili is.”

“You can’t really judge whether or not chili is good until the next day. If it doesn’t repeat, I didn’t add enough cumin.”

Saxon, of course, laughed. She picked up a homemade potato chip, turned around and nodded her head. “So what do you think?”

Ian turned his head and spotted Reese and Billy oblivious to anyone but each other. “Awkward.”

“I’m happy for both of them.”

“Oh me, too. I just…”

Saxon turned back around to him. “Reese told me Billy was so worried about your reaction, if nothing else the last thing you needed was another shock.”

Ian’s laugh was quiet. “Saxon, the last thing it was to me was a shock. You can only walk in your dorm room so many times to find a strange red-faced guy and hearing the excuse “I was so drunk I don’t remember anything”. Even I know two plus two is five.”

“Four. Two plus two is four.”

“That’s why I have an accountant.” Ian looked the couple and back to Saxon. “I feel awkward because Billy is like a brother, and Reese has quickly become one, too. Normally, I’d pull Reese aside and say you hurt him and I’ll break your face, now if someone gets hurt I’ll have to kill both of them.”

“Tippy’s already introducing him to everyone as her son-in-law.”

“And you’re surprised?” Ian snatched a piece of cheese from Saxon’s plate and filled a cup with tea. “I’m a little worried about the ease at which everyone is taking it here. When he goes back home it’s going to be a totally different story.”

“Speaking of totally different stories, I loved that script you gave me.”

“And?”

“And I’d love to do it, but you’re right totally uncastable, even if I could get backing.”

“Well, it was worth a shot.” Ian’s head whipped toward the kitchen. “Excuse me, Saxon. I seemed to be needed in the kitchen.” He kissed her cheek. “See you later?”

“Won’t leave until I say goodbye.” She smiled.

“Better not.” Ian pointed his finger at her and went toward Colton having a nervous breakdown in the kitchen doorway.

Saxon watched him and sighed.

No comments:

Post a Comment