BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Vignette #123: Dinner

“Where’s your list, Baby Doll?” Tippy chirped from her handful of cards.

“What makes you think I have a list?” Ian turned from the steaming pot and looked at the group playing Rook.

“You still having people over on Saturday?” Colton tossed a card from his hand face up on the table.

“Yes.”

“You got a list then.” Jesse said as he smiled and swept up the four cards face up in the center.

“It’s in the drawer by the computer keyboard.” Ronnie said giving Jesse a dirty look when he forced out his Rook. He looked up at his father, catching the shocked look on his face. “It’s where you always keep it. I thought everyone knew.”

“Is that the one for the party, the one for work or the one for house work?” Colton asked.

“The one for work is his backpack.” Ronnie squealed again.

“I think the one for housework is there with the recipes and the coupons.” Tippy slapped her card down and looked at Ian. “Isn’t it?”

“Did you have something you wanted to ad…Granny…or did you just want to humiliate me?”

“I wanted to make sure we had enough furniture for the back yard. I’ve invited a few people, too. Is that alright?”

“Sure. I have some tables in the garage and a few more lawn chairs. I’ve rented a couple of things. Jesse, you still picking those up for me tomorrow?”

“Yup.” He confirmed. “As soon as Kellen gets up, we’re going to take Dad’s truck and pick it up. And before you remind me, on the way back from picking up the furniture we’re stopping and getting the fruit from Mr. Gray’s stand. Kellen will pick up the list from you before he comes over to the house.”

Tippy turned to look back at Ian. “You are training him well. I am very impressed.”

Ian saluted her with a large ladle. “Sloppy Joes are almost ready. Finish up the hand.”

Jesse put flicked down his card. “My trick. I win.”

Ronnie smiled and laid the last card of the game down. “Think again!”

“Where did that come from?” Jesse was stumped. He wrapped his arm around Ronnie and gave him a playful noogie.

“One more hand Papa? Please?”

“After dinner. Set the table, Puppy.”

“Oh alright.” Ronnie got up from his chair and looked at Jesse. “Ya skunked me tonight, but next week is pay back.”

“Bring it on Little Man, Bring…it…on!” Jesse teased him.

“I thought I smelled something back here.” Reese appeared in the kitchen door smiling.

“Uncle Reese!” Ronnie jumped into the man’s arms. “Are you back?”

“No, I’m just a figment of your imagination.” He pretended to bite the boy’s neck to shrill giggles.

Tippy gave the rowdy duo a hug. “We didn’t hear you come in, sweetie. Did you have a good flight?”

“Smooth all the way.” Reese took a deep breath. “Dinner ready?”

“Just in time. Getting ready to fill up the buns.” Ian said.

Reese hugged his father and reached over to give his buddy a squeeze around the throat. “Can it wait just a minute? I have a surprise for you.”

“One that can’t wait until after we eat?” Ian asked.

“I know how you don’t like to have your schedule interrupted, but I think you may enjoy this one.” He said.

“Okay.” Ian tapped the ladle on the side of the pot and put the lid on. “What’s the surprise?”

“It’s kind of big, so I left out on the back patio. Come take a look.” Reese beckoned him to follow with his finger.

“What did you find, honey?” Tippy was hot on their heels.

“Just this.” Reese opened the patio doors and in stepped the surprise.

“Billy.” Ian said softly, then whooped and grabbed the man by his neck. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming with Reese? I talked to you last night.”

“Didn’t decide until this morning. I wasn’t sure if I had arrangements for Vonnie or not.” He said.

Ian released his hold on him and pushed his buddy back by the shoulders. “You didn’t bring her with you?”

“No, Sparky’s got her for the weekend. They’re having girl time, so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to have to guy time with my best buddy.”

There was a moment of introductions, Ronnie being last. He’d been standing there just watching. Billy got down on his knees, eye to eye with the boy. “Hey Ronnie. Remember me?”

He nodded his head. “Yes, sir.”

“Are you doing okay?” He asked him, pushing a lock of hair of his forehead. Ronnie fell to him. Billy picked him up and held him close, rocking him back and forth.

Ian stepped in a rubbed the boy’s back. “It’s okay, buddy. Everything’s okay.”

Colton slipped his arm around Tippy, who put her head on his shoulder. Reese turned to his brother and whispered. “It never occurred to me that Ronnie have that kind of reaction.” Jesse nodded and put his hand on his brother’s shoulder.

“You okay, Little Man?” Jesse reached up and squeezed the boy’s trembling chin. Ronnie nodded, but didn’t loose his grip.

“Did I hear that dinner was ready?” Billy asked the boy. “What are we having?”

“Sloppy Joes.” He said.

“Cool.” Billy kept rocking the boy. “You know, I have a message for you. If I tell you, is it time to eat?”

Ronnie lifted his head from Billy’s shoulder and looked in his eyes. “A message for me?”

“Your Grampaw told me to tell you that he loves you, and the first thing I was to do when I saw you was this…” Billy turned the boy upside down and started kissing him all over.

Ronnie giggled, finally begging Billy to stop. “Is Granpaw coming to visit soon?”

Billy put him down on the floor, once again getting on his knee to look him in the eye. “Soon, Ronnie. There’s still a little to be done. Your Uncle Reese and I are gonna go back on Monday and help him finish up. Then maybe we can talk him into to coming back with Reese.”

Ronnie looked at Reese. “Will ya, Uncle Reese? Will ya?”

Reese got down and tapped him on the chest with his fingers. “I’ll do my best. You know he’s pretty stubborn, so it may talk some coaxing from you, but I’ll bring him straight to you as fast as I can, if he’ll just come.”

“Hey, Ronnie. I need to wash my hands before dinner. Will you show me where?” Billy asked.

“Sure. The place is purdy big, so stay close or you’ll get lost.” Ronnie grabbed Billy by the hand and off they went.

As soon as they were out of sight, Ian turned to Reese. “How’s Jude doing?”

Reese followed Ian and his family back to the kitchen table. “He’s in a lot of pain, Ian, but he thinks no one can tell.”

“He just lost his daughter in a horrible, horrible way. Of course the poor thing’s in pain.” Tippy said getting two extra plates.

“Tippy, Jude has cancer. Ronnie doesn’t know.” Ian said.

“Ian, Billy and I are the only people he’s told.” Reese pulled a chair from the corner and helped rearrange the seatings. “That’s one reason why Ronnie’s here. He doesn’t want his grandson to see someone else…”

“We understand, son.” Colton started putting silverware by the plates.

“I want him here.” Ian said firmly. “With us.”

“He won’t come?” Jesse asked. Ian and Reese shook their heads. “Is there any way you can talk him into it?”

“Jesse, honey, that could be a good thing and a bad thing.” Tippy said. “He’s got a point, very unselfish. Let’s try to understand and not force our own selfish motives on his wishes.”

“You’re right, Tippy.” Ian began filling rolls and putting them on a plate. “But if we can get him here. I’m sure we could get him better care than back home.”

Colton nodded. “I’m sure, but with what’s happened Ian. You have to keep in mind that that may not be what he wants, and forcing him will do more harm than good.”

“The we’ll just find a way to make him want to come.” Ian’s mind was made up.

Food was placed on the table, and the mood changed. It was something Ian had never had and was enjoying every time it happened, a big, loud family meal. They teased, they told stories on each other, they laughed. They were silent, they exchanged glances, they were.

It took forever and ended all too soon, the meal was finished, the dishes washed and everything put away. As always they gathered in the living room and drank coffee, tea or soda. It was the time that those with out don’t realize they miss, being in a room where nothing important happens except the exchange of air between persons who want nothing more than to do nothing with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment