BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Vignette #167: Ian's Choices

“I got a call from Scott Topper today.” David Turner mentioned as he put the rest of the paperwork into his attaché.

“Oh?”

“He asked for Simon Kent, fortunately he then asked for you and they transferred the call to my office.”

“I guess that slipped my mind.” Ian admitted. “Sorry, for some reason anything with the name Simon Kent attached self-deleted from my memory banks.”

“He says he’s very interested. I told him I would be speaking with you today and I’d call him back. You want to let me know what’s going on?”

“Kent’s pilot…”

“The God awful thing with the women in bras shooting up Laguna Beach?”

Ian laughed. “Actually yes. Have you by any chance seen the original script before Kent’s people got hold of it?”

“Can’t say that I have.”

“That script had potential. I think if we went back to the original title and the original concept, it could be a winner.” Ian signed one more document and handed it back, where it was placed with the others.

“You actually saw something in that garbage that made you track down the original script?”

“Yes. It had this quirky maze like mystery, dump all the surgically enhanced mannequins reciting monosyllable dialogue, and I think there might be something compatible with “Hollow Points”.

“Having a Scott Tupper project on our schedule would bring another demographic to the fold.” Turner admitted. “I don’t see it, but if you do and Tupper does…”

“If it hadn’t piqued Tupper’s interest I would have just let it die. The money spent on the original pilot is wasted, but it was an in house project so I’d like to give Scott Tupper a crack at it.”

Turner nodded. “I’ll make I happen.”

“Thank you.” Ian said. “Now, along those lines, I need to find out if something that I’ve been asked to do, that I want to do is legal, as far as my contractual agreements with HRT.”

“You’re not thinking of leaving us already…”

“No…no…absolutely not. I understand my place here, and cherish it, but a couple of friends and I have found a film script. We are financing it ourselves…I’m just not sure if I can legally be a part of a production agreement while under contract to HRT.”

“These friends, are they bound contractually to any other studios?”

“No, just me…and I’ve signed the writer of the script to a retainer. It’s another Jenson Michael script.”

Turner nodded his head. “That man will be a legend in less than a year.” He sighed with a smile. “As long as you haven’t signed a deal directly with another company, you are free to do what you like. I would hope that you would give our distribution department first look rights, out of courtesy….”

“Absolutely, but I can tell you in all honesty that this isn’t anything that HRT would be interested in. In fact, even after we get this done, my guess is that it’s going to be pretty difficult to get distribution.”

“But you feel strongly enough to make the film anyway?”

“If we don’t no one will, and someone has to do this. I want it to be me. I didn’t realize how much until I got asked to be a part of it.”

“What do you have lined up?”

“It’s still very much in the ‘hey kids, let’s put on a show’ stage, but we have a script and two of the three leads and seriously that may be about as far as we get. This project is raw, raw but dynamic, I’m sure most people wouldn’t even touch it.”

“Rather risky for a novice…”

“But one I am willing to take. If I’m not getting into any legal risk with HRT, I’m free to pursue this, and I will pursue it to the end. Live or die.”

“Financing going to be a problem?”

“Ironically, I don’t think so. It won’t be an expensive film, and between the three of us committed we will literally only be risking our own bank accounts.”

“Director attached?”

“No, although Jeremy says he’ll do it if he has to to get it made.”

“Jeremy Tyson?”

“Yes.”

“He’s the committed partner?”

“Yes and Saxon Allen.”

“Ian, with people like that committed, you shouldn’t have any problem getting any one involved. They’ll be falling over themselves…”

“You’d think, but this is not your ordinary Jeremy Tyson action film and nowhere near a Saxon Allen romantic comedy. Mr. Turner this could easily be “Heaven’s Gate” only with drugs, graphic sex and an barely hopeful ending.”

Turner tapped his cane of the floor and chewed on his thoughts a moment. “The three of you believe in this project strongly enough to risk ending two brilliant careers and killing another just as it’s getting started?”

“Yes sir.”

“Okay, I’m in, too…”

“Excuse me?”

“You need a director, don’t you?”

“Well, yes…”

“I’m a director. I haven’t as much as directed a television commercial since before you were born, but I achieved a little respect.”

“Mr. Turner, I think 2 Oscars and 6 Emmys adds up to achieving just a bit more than a little respect.”

“So let me on board and you’ve gained a distribution guarantee.”

“I would love to call Jeremy and Saxon right now and say guess what my uncle’s gonna let us use his barn, but I can’t accept your offer. Mr. Turner, you don’t know the story…”

“Give me a script, and the right to back out if either of us thinks it’s something an old codger like me can’t handle.”

“I have no doubt you could handle it, I just think that maybe you wouldn’t want to.”

“I’ll be the judge of that. Make the call….”

Ian took Mr. Turner’s cell phone and dialed Blake’s number. He asked Blake to make another copy of the “Quarters” script and messenger it to Mr. Turner’s home address. Mr. Turner patted Ian on the head, and told him he would speak to him in the morning. He’d be joining in with the morning power conference call, and then they would meet to discuss projects.

“I look forward to working with you my boy. It’s time for an old dog to teach a new one all the tricks…” he said as he walked out the door.

Ian heard Turner say goodnight to Ripley, who peeked his head in. “Mr. Ian, I’ll be saying goodnight as well. Noseworthy’s here, and I’ll be calling it a night.”

“Ripley…could you sit a minute?” Ian asked.

“Of course.” He took a seat next to the window.

“How’s your sister? Feeling better?”

“Yes, thank you for asking.”

“Uh…Ripley…I’m going to be going home soon…I know I’ve been fighting and whining about wanting my space and privacy and I do want those things, but now that it’s going to happen I have to admit that…”

“Maybe it’s not such a good idea?”

“No…it is a good idea…I can’t continue to be a victim, but I’m swallowing my pride and admitting that I can’t do it alone…”

“Are you asking me to marry you, sir?”

Ian laughed, “Oh but that we were the marrying kind, Ripley…actually I want to hire you, full time…”

“Excuse me?”

“I know you have a good job with Kellen, and money’s not an object. I just got a massive promotion and a whopping raise. I can match his salary and benefits package, and pretty sure I can exceed it as well. We could even work it out so you could still work for him if you want. “

Ian admitted. “Basically, I want someone I trust and that I like at the house. You wouldn’t be on guard duty twenty-four hours a day, but you wouldn’t be a paid companion either. You could come and go as you please. You be more of a personal assistant, do things I can’t do either on my own or for whatever reason…”

“You mean live in the house with you?”

“Yes and Ronnie, he adores you and I trust you with him. There is plenty of room, I could hire someone to renovate so you’d have your own private quarters eventually. It would just comfort me, let me rest easy knowing that someone I trust, someone I consider a part of my family was there, watching out for me when I get stupid…”

“Mr. Ian…”

“I know it’s a lot to ask, but you’re the only one I trust enough to make the offer to…”

“I’d be honored.”

“You would?”

“Yes. And quite frankly, I’ll get a little more peace of mind being there. You’re a quite little devil, emphasis on the devil part…”

“I’m sure there will be some kinks to work out…”

“Mr. Ian, about Ronnie…”

Ian leaned back on the inclined bed. “Is there going to be a problem?”

“No.” Ripley put his elbows on his knees and his hands together. “No, not at all. I just wanted to tell you that the fact that you trust me with him, that you think it’s okay for a guy like me to be around him and consider me a part of the family. I don’t know what to say.”

“Ripley, you don’t have to say anything. You’re actions have spoken so much louder than any words. I don’t expect you to be a “manny” or whatever they call it, in fact I’m not exactly sure what your duties include, except that you be there, being you making sure that we’re safe.”

“As long as I’m around, be assured nothing will ever happen to you or Ronnie that I can possibly prevent.”

“That’s all I ask. Of course, if something should happen to the cat…” Ian reached out his hand and Ripley shook it. “Now go. Go get some rest, see your sister and tomorrow we’ll start figuring it all out.”

“Thank you, Ian.” Ripley stood and walked to the door. He started to stop and say something, but Ian got the feeling he was a little emotional about it. Ripley just nodded his head and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment