BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Friday, March 11, 2011

Vignette #171: Come Home

Everyone seemed a little shocked when Ian announced there was somewhere he needed to go. They all looked at each other, exchanging glances of resignation. Ian let them exchange looks and headed, albeit slowly, toward the garage.

Ripley broke the ice. “Do you need to take anything?”

“Nope, just me.” Ian said determined not to stop.

“Okay.” Ripley reached for the car keys. “Right behind you.”

“Baby Doll, I’ll have dinner ready when you get back.”

“Thanks, Tippy. I won’t be long. Ronnie keep them out of trouble.”

“Give her my love.” The boy said.

Ian stopped and turned his head to see his son grinning from ear to ear. “I will.”

It took three times as longer to get in the car than arrive at the chosen designation, but the traffic wasn’t bad so the trip only took about a half an hour. Ian allowed Ripley to help him out of the car. The man knew his energy was wearing thin, but he also knew he wouldn’t rest until he’d gotten this trip over with.

“I’ll wait here for you.” He said, pulling his backpack to his lap and getting out a copy of the latest ‘Dresden File’.

“I won’t be too long.” Ian promised.

“You take as long as you want.” Ripley looked up from his novel. “Let me know if I have to break up a fist fight.”

“You’ve been here before?” Ian chuckled.

“Brought Ronnie and Miss Tippy yesterday.” Ripley grinned. “Now go on and don’t interrupt me, I’m getting to the good part.”

Ian nodded and caned his way into the room. He stood in the doorway a moment and looked at the nurse who was being given a hard time. “I see nothing has changed.”

The two women, one in scrubs and the other in a bed stopped their befuddling and looked in his direction. “She refuses to eat Mr. Ian.”

“If it’s anything like the food I’ve been being served I don’t blame her at all.” Ian hobbled toward them, the nurse pulling a chair next to the bedside so he could sit himself down.

The woman in the bed refused to look at him. Half her face was putty; the other was twisted into a snarl. Ian picked up the plate cover and looked up at her. “This doesn’t look too bad. You can’t really ruin scrambled eggs.”

“She’s been having a little stomach trouble. We thought some scrambled eggs might stay down a little better.”

Ian put the cover aside and did his best to scoot both the tray and himself closer to her. “Have you not been feeling well, Miss Glo?”

She still refused to look at him. Ian reached out and took her chin, gently pulling her head to face him. He smiled at her, her eyes still refusing to meet his. “Believe it or not, I missed you.”

What little of her mouth that worked properly opened. “Scared…me...”

“Scared me, too.” Ian rubbed the back of his fingers on the cheek he knew she could feel. “I’d have been here sooner, but they had me chained up until now. Forgive me?”

She rolled her eyes; one performed perfectly, the other jerked slightly. She sighed.

Ian smiled. “I like your hair.”

He could tell she was pleased he noticed. “Tippy.” She got out.

“You look beautiful, Miss Virginia.” She reached with the hand she could move and took the one of his that worked. Ian looked to the nurse. “Thanks Daisy, why don’t you give us a chance to catch up?”

“Miss Glo, I’ll be right outside if you need anything.”

Gloria snorted. Nurse Daisy smiled and disappeared. “Now between the two of us we’ve got one good body…”

He could swear she fought back a smile. “Why don’t we try some of these eggs?” Ian released her hand and grabbed the fork, spearing some and aiming for her mouth. “Okay, old girl, you’re gonna have to help me.”

She gave him the eye roll, but opened her mouth and allowed him to feed her. She swallowed and scrunched up her face. “Eggs…cold…”

“Breath on them.” Ian said, heaping more eggs back on the fork.

“Don’t…me…laugh…”

“Don’t make you laugh?” Ian said. “You laugh? I don’t think so.”

He headed the loaded fork towards her mouth. Gloria put her hand up and stopped him. Her eyes dropped to her lap.

Ian put the fork down and grabbed her hand. “I know, Gloria. I feel the same way.” He kissed the back of her hand and put his head in her lap. She put her good hand in his hair and stroked it.

“What…do…now?”

He sighed. “I don’t know, Miss Glo. I don’t know. Carry on? Is there anything else we can do?”

“Care…full.”

“It wasn’t my fault. I’m not sure what happened or why it happened but I’m going to figure it out and make sure it never happens again.”

“Ronnie?”

“He’s good, sends his love. I’m just thankful he wasn’t home.”

“Good…boy.”

Ian smiled, sat up and looked at her. “Great boy. I am so blessed.”

“We…blessed…” She definitely smiled that time.

“Did you like your sign language book?”

Miss Glo gave him a hand signal that made him laugh out loud.

“I thought so.” Ian grabbed her hand and made her stop flashing her middle finger. “Gloria, I need you to get stronger with me. Please try.”

She shrugged one shoulder. “Stop that.” Ian scowled. “I need you to get stronger so I can bring you home. I know you don’t like it here, but if you don’t try to care for yourself more I can’t get you out.”

“Why…”

“Just do it, you spiteful old dragon. If nothing else I need you to keep me safe from Ronnie’s cat.” Ian looked at the empty bed in the room. “So, do you like your roommate?”

He got a second helping of sign language. “Kill…you…”

“I thought you’d like it.” Once again, he put his hand over her outstretched finger. “Now, the nurse said you haven’t been feeling well. Are you okay?”

“Bug…”

“Just a flu? Are you sure?”

Gloria nodded her head and smiled. “You…”

“The meds make me thirsty and loopy, but I’m getting there.” She took his hand. “Thanks for asking. And now I have confession to make…”

She half grinned. “Good…dee…”

“I now know why you are so cranky before and after physical therapy. Between you and me, I’m not sure there is any reason to have body parts bent in those directions.” Gloria laughed out loud as best she could. He loved it when he made her laugh.

“After bringing me to tears, my therapist finally asked if there was anything they could do, so I suggested they wear black leather the next time so I could at least get some enjoyment out of it.”

“Naughty.”

Ian looked in her eyes. “I’m tired, Miss Glo. I so tired of all this.”

She nodded her head. “I…know…”

“It has to stop. I thought it all ended, but just when I least expect it…wham…there it goes again.” She pulled his hand to her lips and kissed it. “I have to protect Ronnie from it. I hired someone to live with us, to look out for us.”

“Big…guy…”

“Ripley, he’s out in the hall. Sweet wonderful man you would not want to mess with. Ronnie adores him. They play cards and board games. He lets Ronnie just climb all over him and I think he’d give his life for either one of us.”

“You…trust…”

“One of the few people in this world I trust with no reservations. Ironically, you’re one of the others so that doesn’t say much for my judgment of character.” She laughed again.

She got quiet, pulling his hand to her heart. “Clare?”

He shook his head. “I’m sorry. I thought she’d try and get in touch with everything that happened. If she did, no one told me. I’m sure she’s still in California. I’ll find her.”

“Don’t…bad…girl…”

“She needs to at least know that you are here, and that you are doing oh so much better.”

“No…please…”

“Miss Gloria? You don’t want to see your daughter?”

“Keep…you…safe…”

“I don’t understand, Gloria. Clare won’t hurt me. By this time she knows we have no relationship. I feel sort of guilty. I was mean and cruel towards her, but it was the only way I could think of to get her to understand it was over.”

“Big…girl…”

“I know. She’s a big girl. She can take care of herself, but I’m worried. She may be struggling here somewhere and need help. I can at least do that much for her.”

“Soft…tee…”

“Meany…” Ian stuck out his tongue at her. “I need to get back. It takes me quite a bit longer to get around these days, and I want to track down your roomie and see how she’s doing.”

Gloria winked. “She…good…”

“I’m so glad they were able to find an agency to help her out.”

“Liar…” She smiled.

Ian put his finger up to his lips. “Our secret.”

“Rose…”

“Is there a problem with her grand daughter?”

“Fired…”

“She lost her job?”

Gloria nodded. “Time…off…”

Ian slumped back in his chair. “They fired her for taking time off while her grandmother had surgery?”

“Don’t…tell…”

“Don’t tell anyone or Miss Inez doesn’t know?”

“Both…help…”

“Now who’s a softy?” Ian slowly raised himself up enough to lean over and kiss her cheek. “I’ll take care of it, don’t worry. Now, not this weekend but next, if you’re a good girl we are going to see if the doctors will let me bring you home…just for the day.”

“Home?”

“We always have a big dinner on Saturday that seems to last until Sunday. Would you like that?”

“May…be…” Her face brightened with a half smile.

“That’s only if you’re good, and keep working to get stronger.” He pointed his finger at her.

She pointed hers right back. “You…too…”

“Me, too.” Ian brushed his fingers again down the cheek he knew she could feel. “I’ll be back soon.”

“Who…cares…” she grinned.

“Same here.” He hobbled toward the door spying Ripley engrossed in his novel. Nurse Daisy was quickly at his side. “So what’s the scoop? She’s had a flu?”

“A little bug, but her system fought it off surprisingly well.”

“I got her to eat a couple of bites of that egg, but she was right they were cold. Maybe she’ll take some hot soup now?”

“I’ll try.”

“Is Miss Inez around?”

“Her grand daughter took her out for a stroll. Shall I tell her you were asking about her?”

“Please do, and say I’m so sorry I missed her, but I need to get home. This little outing has just about done me in for the day. You’ve not heard anything from Miss Glo’s daughter?”

“Not a word.”

“Next weekend, I want to bring her to my house for the day, overnight if the doctor will okay it. I’d like to turn it into a regular event, hoping it will give her a reason to get stronger and not be so fussy. You tell her doctor that I’ll be in on Tuesday and I expect a full report. He can call Blake and set up a time.”

“Of course Mr. Ian.”

“If she needs anything, day or night, do not hesitate to call me. Miss Inez, too.”

“Of course. And how are you doing? Miss Glo was a wreck. Don’t tell her I said that though.”

Ian smiled. “I’m doing well, but I have to work at getting my stamina back, just like the dragon lady. Is there anything that she needs? I’m sure one of the family will be here tomorrow and I’ll make sure they bring it.”

“No. I think she’s fine. She enjoys the company though, especially Ronnie. She just lights up whenever he’s around.”

“He has that affect on people. Well, you have a good day. Thanks for taking care of Dragon Lady for me.”

“Actually, it’s my pleasure. She’s not nearly as surly as she thinks she is.”

“I’m glad you’re here to take care of her.” Ian smiled. “Be sure you tell Miss Inez and Rose Marie I was here, and tell Rose to give me a call. It’s important.”

Before he could move or even indicate, Ripley was right at Ian’s side holding out an arm to help ease him back to the car. Despite the fact that he didn’t want to, Ian fell asleep before they got out of the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment