BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vignette #192: Old Changes

Saxon reached for the doorbell.

“What you doin’ that for, honey?” Miss Inez asked. “Why don’t you just throw the door open and walk right in?”

“Miss Inez, I don’t live here.” Saxon blushed.

“Why not?”

“Because, I’m not…”

Miss Inez huffed. “Child, we all know what you think you’re not. Don’tcha go trying to pull some nonsense on ol’ Inez. When are you two gonna realize you’re not children and start havin’ some adult fun?”

“Miss Inez!” Saxon was rather flabbergasted.

“Oh get your mind out of the gutter.” Miss Inez shifted her weight on her walker and reached for the doorbell. “I meant adult fun, like fallin in love an’ walkin’ around holdin’ hands an’ lookin’ stupid at each other. That’s what I meant by adult fun.”

Saxon tried to think of what to say as the doorbell rang.

Inez shifted her weight again, and looked at the blushing blond from the corner of her eye. “Everyone knows but the two of you. If you don’t figure it out soon, I’m gonna have to knock your heads together.”

Fortunately, the door opened. Ian had on a huge grin and a hand painted tie that said ‘Papa’. “Good morning, why didn’t you just come on in?” He held the door open.

Miss Inez gave Saxon a look as she walkered her way in, stopping long enough to give Ian a kiss on the cheek. “Ian, you just get better lookin’ each time I see you. If I knowed you wasn’t taken I’d bat my eyes and treat you to some fine aged All American chocolate.”

Ian laughed. “Miss Inez, you are a big flirt, and I’m not taken so bring it on Sweet Mama, bring it on.”

“Says you.” She ushered her way in. “Now where’s my boy?”

“Miss Inez!” Her boy, in the form of Ronnie, doused her with the love of a ten year old.

“Like the tie.” Saxon smiled as she leaned against the freshly shut front door.

Ian grinned and held it out for her to see. “My first atrocious tie. I’m a father. I really, really am.”

“Actually,” she smoothed it back in place with his sporty black jacket. “It’s really quite beautiful. Ronnie’s going to be a fine artist.”

He looked back down at it. “Yeah, I think he really is and I’m glad you like it. You’re going to see a lot of them today. He made one for all of us; Jude, Billy, Colton…”

Saxon giggled. “I know. Wella bought him the fabric paint, and I helped him hand pick all the ties, but yours is special.”

“That’s cause I’m a Papa.”

She pulled a tiny wrapped box from her handbag. “Happy Father’s Day, Ian.”

“Saxon.” Ian blushed. “This isn’t necessary.”

“Oh shut up and open it.”

Ian nodded. He limped over to the couch and sat down, Saxon having a seat on the ottoman beside him.

“What’cha got, Papa?” Ronnie looked.

“Saxon brought me a little Father’s Day gift.” Ian said as he unwrapped a little blue velvet box.

“I hope that’s an engagement ring.” Miss Inez said under her breath.

“What?” Ian refrained from opening the box when he looked up at her.

“Nothin’, child.” She said. “Just open the box.”

The little box creaked when he opened it. I looked up at Saxon. “It’s beautiful. Thank you.”

“It’s a little tie tack. I thought you could use one.” She said, looking at Ronnie.

“Now how did she know I’d need a new tie pin?” Ian looked at his son as well.

“Oh, she’s just really good at knowing what’s best for you.” Ronnie grinned. “It’s pretty. What’s the stones?”

“It’s a blue sapphire.” Saxon said.

Ian turned to Ronnie. “Your birthstone, Puppy.”

“It’s a Father’s pin.” She told them.

“The white ones you have replaced with the birthstones of your other children when they’re born.” Miss Inez smiled.

“Holy crap!” Ian snorted, realizing the number of zircons. “How many kid’s do you think I’m gonna have?”

“I didn’t really think about that.” Saxon blushed. “I just liked the design he brought me and commissioned it.”

“You had this designed?” Ian was impressed.

“Of course.” She made light of it. “I don’t know the difference between a hotty uppy thingy and a cold thingy, but I’m Saxon Allen; great designer jewelry I know.”

“Well, Papa will do the cookin’, you can pick out the accessories.” Ronnie said.

Ian lifted the pin from the box and carefully placed it on his tie. “How does it look?”

“Perfect.” Saxon said, ignoring the fact that the pin and the hand paint were rather garish together.

Ripley came into the living room wearing an equally loud hand painted tie proudly flashing ‘Uncle Ripley’. “Billy just called, they’ll have Vonnie tamed and secured in the van in about five minutes. Are we ready to go?”

Ian looked at Miss Inez. “Are you sure, your church is ready for my family?”

She laughed. “Ian, honey, they survived mine, they won’t bat an eye at yours.”

He slapped his thighs. “Alright then. Let’s herd ‘em up and head ‘em out.”

“Now hold on a minute, young man.” She motioned him to sit tight and pulled her purse up into her lap and started rummaging through it. “Miz Saxon there ain’t the only sexy babe who brought you a gift this morning.” She pulled out a wrapped package complete with hand tied bow and presented it to Ian. “Happy Father’s Day.”

“Miss Inez…really…” Ian started to refuse.

“A little something from me and Rose.” She hefted it towards him the second time. “After all you done for us, you think we wouldn’t remember you on such a special day?”

Genuinely touched Ian nodded and quietly murmured “Thank you” and opened the box. Lifting the lid, Saxon left out a delighted gush.

“What is it, Papa?” Ronnie looked excitedly into the box.

Ian pulled it out and held up am antique onyx box. “Miss Inez, this must have cost you…”

She waved her hands. “Ian, this didn’t cost me a cent. I’ve had it for years, sittin’ in the closet. I took it down once and a while to shine it up and put it back. Last time I pulled it down me and Rose decided that you should have it. It has a special meaning to us, and we want you to have it.”

“I am touched, Miss Inez.” Ian bent over, kissing her and give her a deep hug.

“What is it?” Ronnie’s curiosity got the best of him.

“Let me show you, honey.” Miss Inez took the box. “It’s a old what they call Chinese puzzle box. You’re supposed to figure out how to open it, and inside there’s supposed to be a prize.”

“Like a Rubik’s cube?” He said.

“That’s right. Now this is so old, I’m sure the prize inside is long gone, but people used to put precious things in there after they got the prize. Things they only wanted people who knew their secrets to find.”

“Cool!” Ronnie looked at the box.

“You said it had special meaning, Miss Inez?” Saxon gently prodded.

Miss Inez nodded. “Now, I’m not sure if you know this, but my Daddy used to work right here in this house.”

“No.” Ian said. “No, I didn’t know that.”

“’Course at one time or another, most of us black folks worked in one of these three houses.”

“Did you work here, Miss Inez?” Ronnie asked.

“No honey, but my Daddy did and when they closed down the house, Mr. Turner let everybody take a momento or two. This box was one of the things my Daddy was given. When he died there was one little gift from the house for each of us children.”

“Oh, Miss Inez. I can’t accept something your father gave to you.” Ian said placing the gift back in the box.”

“Oh yes you can.” She said. “Now let me tell you why.”

Ian nodded and let her continue. “Now, no one talked much among themselves about what all went on in these houses, but my Daddy said this wasn’t always a happy home. He said Miss Darla and Mr. Turner worked so hard to be happy, but it all ended much too soon. When everything happened, he asked specifically for this puzzle box.”

“Why this box?” Saxon was intrigued.

“Well, he said that it was like all the happiness and love was locked away in this place and it would take the right person to unlock it. He said Miss Darla would sit for hours and try to get that box open but never could quite manage it. So now, this box has come home to the hand of the right person to unlock all the love and happiness that’s the prize inside.”

Ian hoped he was holding in the tears aching to get out. Miss Inez took his hand, picking up the puzzle and placing it there. “Now all you have to do is let it all free.”

“We’ll do our best.” He managed to say.

Miss Inez smiled. “Aw honey, you got a good start, now just let it go and feel it wash all over you.”

He nodded squeezing her close one more time, then placing the box in the center of the coffee table. “Now, where is Rose?”

“She’s at the church already. She sings in the choir, so she gets there early.”

“Well, let’s get in the car and go hear that angel sing.” Ian accepted the cane from his son, took Miss Inez’ hand and together they hobbled out to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment