BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vignette #178: Three Stooges

Their attention was quickly drawn to the timid tap at the door. Lee stuck his head in the door. “Are you ready for me?”

“Of course.” Ian smiled motioning to a chair. “Would you like a cup of tea or a cigarette?”

Lee nervously shook his head and seated himself, folding his hands in his lap. “No thank you.”

“You look like you are about to be executed, Lee.” Turner said. “Just relax.”

“I’m trying sir. I’m not used to being called in front of all the big boys before.”

“Get used to it.” Ian said. “I am assuming you are aware of the majority of changes being made here at the network?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Sir?” Ian chuckled. “I’m still Ian, Lee. The sir is appreciated, but totally unnecessary.”

“But very much earned.” Lee looked at Ian and smiled timidly.

“Thank you.” Ian blushed. “I need to ask you about something.”

“Sure.”

“You came to my team from the promotion department.”

“After Lance Crawford fired me.”

Ian nodded. “Fortunately for us, Wella knew a good thing when she saw it and we snapped you up. Now which do you prefer the promotional aspect or the development aspect.”

Denver Metcalfe interjected. “Excuse me Lee, but aren’t you the one that came up with our “Legend Continues” campaign?”

“I took an idea Ian had and added my own, but yes.”

“And Crawford terminated you?” Metcalfe smirked.

“He said I didn’t have any talent and sent me back to the mail room. That’s when Wella and Ian intercepted me and put me on their team.” Lee admitted.

“So which do you prefer?” Ian asked again.

Lee took a deep breath and thought. “There are aspects of both that I love. It’s the creativity that motivates me. I really enjoyed the fall campaign. Ian kind of gave me an idea and then just dropped it in my lap and let me have at it.”

Ian nodded. “Good answer.”

“Does he win a prize?” Turner grinned.

“I think so.” Ian looked back to Lee. “We have a great team, but all things come to an end.”

“You’re going to break us up?” Lee looked disappointed.

“Yes and no.” Ian took a file from the top of his desk and handed it to Lee. “Here’s a contract with your name on it. All you need to do is look it over and sign it. Take your time. Have a second legal party look at it. Make sure it’s what you want. I’m willing to negotiate.”

Lee’s hand trembled as he took the file, but left it unopened. “I’m being offered a contract?”

Denver Metcalfe patted the man on the shoulder. “All our executives work under contract.”

“Executive?” Lee swallowed hard.

“Lee, I’m offering you the position to head up what used to be Simon Kent’s team. Wella is taking over mine as I step further into my new role. We’ll all still work together, but you have more than earned a crack at your own division.”

Ian watched as Lee sat back in the chair. “What about power meetings and…”

“I still expect you to show up in my office several times a week and bang heads around. You run your team the way you think is best. Just turn out some good programming, including the promo for it. There are some great people on that team, they just haven’t had the right leadership.”

“And you want me…?”

David Turner moved forward. “Lee yours was the only name even discussed. We think that you are not only qualified, but more than able to help turn a dormant team around.”

“You’ve been a part of Ian’s team almost from inception.” Denver Metcalfe jumped in. “You’ve not only been motivated to excel, but we’ve noticed you have the ability to do that in others around you.”

“By moving you to another team, we are pretty confident the same thing will happen.” Ian smiled. “It’s your decision. You can stay put if you like, but I hope you will be as excited about this promotion as the three of us are about offering it to you.”

“Can I still bounce ideas off you, no matter how bizarre?” Lee asked.

“It always makes my day.” Ian said. “The only real change is going to be that you’ll have your own staff to bounce them off of.”

Lee opened the file and his eyes popped. “There’ll be a few other changes I can make with this salary.” He looked up. “I guess I’ll be negotiating the deal on “Downstairs in the Attic” myself.”

“Kent’s awful pilot?” Metcalfe frowned.

Ian grinned. “Kent’s awful pilot made from a very brilliant and very different script. Lee has been talking with Scott Tupper on my behalf about the possibilities of a replacement series based on the original concept.”

“He wants to do it and he thinks he can bring Tara Newland along with him.” Lee said.

“Tara Newland?” Turner was impressed. “Are we talking about the same Tara Newland?”

“The one who one the Golden Globe, the Emmy and the SAG Award this year for her first telefilm?” Ian asked.

“She did that?” Turner asked.

“The young lady who won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar twice before the age of thirty?” Ian asked again.

“Uhm…” Turner had to think.

Lee leaned in close. “The one on the cover of this month’s Maxim magazine?”

“That’s the one!” Turner squealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment