BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Vignette #182: Kitchen View

“So how did he get that bruise?” Saxon did her best not to ruin the head of lettuce she volunteered to chop.

Tippy giggled. “I wondered if he’d tell you. Don’t kill it honey, slice it.”

“I noticed it, too, but I was afraid to ask.” Susan Andrews slid a cutting board of diced tomatoes into the wooden bowl between them.

“You didn’t hear this from me.” Tippy tossed a handful of mushrooms in the bowl. “After the doctor took the cast off he told Ian to stay seated another half hour after he left, but you know Ian.”

“As soon as the doctor was out the door?” Saxon held the lettuce up for inspection.

“That’s good.” Tippy nodded and helped her slide it in the bowl. “As soon as he was sure the doctor was busy with the next patient, Ian was up and headed out the door.”

“And?” Susan ran a stream of warm water and began peeling onions.

“Of course he passed right out before his hand was on the doorknob.” Tippy smiled. “He hit the floor before you could say whoopsie.”

“He got the bruise from slamming his head on the floor?” Saxon’s eyes got big.

“Did they x-ray him for a concussion?” Susan stopped peeling.

Tippy waved her hands. “Yes, Ian was mad as all get out but it was his own fault and he knew it. Fortunately, the boys had enough broken bones and casts growing up, I was ready and managed to get a pillow tossed in the floor before he splattered his brains out.”

“But how did he get the bruise?”

She put her hand to her mouth. “Ripley heard the crash and came bursting in, smacked poor Ian upside the head with the door.”

The woman all giggled. Tippy shushed and warned them. “Don’t say anything. Ripley almost had to be sedated, too.”

“I wondered why he was so quiet tonight.” Saxon said. “Poor man. He must feel awful.”

“Ian laughed it off, well as soon as he came to.” Tippy. “Carrots, we need carrots.” She opened the fridge. “Girls, I’ll have to run next door a sec.”

“We’re good.” Susan was back peeling onions.

“And I promise not to touch anything unless Susan or Jesse says I can.” Saxon assured Tippy.

“Where is the master organizer, anyway?” Susan asked.

His mother smiled. “He and the boys are playing Twister with the kids. I hope it wears them out before dinner is ready.”

Susan laughed. “I’m sure the children will be well behaved, they always are when they get together.”

“Children?” Tippy said as she grasped the doorknob. “I’m talking about Jesse, Reese and Billy.” She disappeared next door.

“So, I guess other than the bonk on the floor, Ian’s doctor visit was good news?” Susan dropped a handful of onions on a paper towel and blotted them.

Saxon nodded her head. “He’s mum, but Tippy says they are letting him go back to work five days a week at half days.”

“That should make him a little less stir crazy.” Susan smiled as she shook the towel to let the onions drop in the salad bowl. She wiped her hands and leaned against the counter. “Saxon, I’m hoping you can help me with something.”

“I’ll try.” She said, looking perplexed at the salad tongs she was holding and wondering exactly how you used them to toss the salad.

“You know I’m exec producing a variety show for HRT.”

“Yes.” She smiled as she attempted to look like she knew what she was doing. “Ian’s so excited.”

“Well…here I’ll get that. You pick up the greens from the floor.” Susan took over tossing the salad.

“Sure.” Saxon quickly picked up the salad in the floor and looked for a trash can.

“One of the things we are doing is exclusive video.”

“What do you mean by that?” She opened a door and saw a white plastic basket; she started to put the lettuce in it.

“That’s the potato bin, honey. Just drop them in the sink and turn on the disposal.” Susan finally held Saxon’s hands over the sink, shook her wrists until she released the greens and flipped the switch.

Saxon blinked at the noise and watched the lettuce disappear as Susan ran a stream of water. “That is so cool!” She turned back to Susan. “Now you were saying?”

“Uhm, we’re getting people to do music videos for us, one’s that will only run once or twice on the series and for download exclusively on the website, 100% of the proceeds going to charity. Everything is volunteer.”

“Oh that’s wonderful. How can I help?” Saxon was still trying not to be fascinated by the garbage disposal.

“It’s been harder than I thought to get stars to volunteer to do videos. They don’t mind the proceeds going to charity but they want to be paid, too. I was hoping you might be willing to do a couple for us.”

“Me?” Saxon was surprised.

“I know you sing and dance, and you are the top box office draw. It would be a feather in our cap.” She finished tossing the salad and turned to Saxon. “I was thinking that maybe you could talk Ian into a duet or something.”

Saxon’s eyes flashed. “Umm…Ian and I haven’t sang and danced together since “The Boy Friend” in college. He was Bobby and I was Maisie. That was so much fun.”

“I bet you could talk him into it.”

“Hmmm…” Saxon smiled. “I won’t promise, but I’ll see what I can do.”

“That’s all I ask.”

Saxon picked up the salad bowl. “Now…shall I put this in the oven?”

No comments:

Post a Comment