BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vignette #175: Turner's Fingerprints

“It’s good to be home.” The smile on Ian’s face matched his, and all those in the room. The ideas on the floor snowballed. In a few minutes, the excitement was full blast and members of the team began to break off to research their aspects of the day’s task.

Both Turner and Ian were helped up and meandered their way into Ian’s office. The moment his door opened Ian stood at the entrance and stared at the painting on his wall. He sighed. “Have I told you how much I love that painting?”

Turner patted him on the back. “I’m glad, my boy. I had it moved from your old office and hung right behind your desk. It was a little guarantee to myself that you’d be back with us.”

“Was there ever any doubt?” Ian took his first sit behind his desk in his new second floor office.

The old man sat across from him in an expensive leather chair. “Unfortunately, there were a few days when none of us were sure.”

“Simon Kent…” Ian mumbled.

“It had nothing to do with the Kent debacle. No one with any day to day contact in the office ever took him seriously. Ian, our concern was with your health, not the determination of a mad man.”

“I was never in any serious danger.” Ian smiled.

“Yes, Young Justyn.” The smile on Turner’s face disappeared. “Yes, you were. I was not at your bedside, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t have consistent contact. Until you regained consciousness there were doubts, serious doubts as to whether or not you’d wake.”

Ian looked out the window. “That’s all over now. Let’s not dwell on it.” Turner nodded his head. “So, we meet for contract negotiations with Mike Hartman. Anything I should be aware of?”

“That’s totally your choice. You’ve decided one has to go, either Hartman or Zaundra Gleason. Personally, with the changes I’m not sure either is better than the other.”

“They both have equal reasons to be kept and to be let go. I’m not going to offer any bump in salary, that may be the deciding factor.”

“I agree. In fact, I’ve been taking a much closer look at the program, all our programs, and I must say I’m embarrassed. “America Alive” as it stands is dreadful. The directions you and Warner are headed in are exciting; a good combination of tradition and change.”

“Thank you.” Ian’s intercom buzzed. He looked up at Turner. “Do I dare touch this?”

David chuckled. “Do we have a choice?”

It buzzed again. “Looks like we don’t. Stand back, just in case it goes off.” Ian hit what he prayed was the right button. “Yes.”

“Lance Crawford would like to speak with you.” It was good to hear Blake at his post.

“Does he want me to call him?”

“No, he’s standing in front of me.”

“Oh, send him in.” Ian touched the button again and the light went off. “Okay, the electronics didn’t implode, but Lance Crawford is on his way in.”

“Maintaining battle stations.” Turner scowled.

“How have things been going with him?”

“He missed a few days with a flu bug, but other than that he seems to be taking all the changes well. Can you handle it?” Was Turner’s main concern.

Ian nodded. “As long as he remembers that we’re equals and keeps his personal opinions to himself.”

“But you aren’t equals.” Turner sat forward. “Young Justyn, you are his boss, even more so now. The only person with more control at this network than you is myself or don’t you realize that yet?”

Ian sat back in his chair. “It really never occurred to me.”

“It has to everyone else.” Turner gripped and leaned on his cane. “You’ll be seeing and feeling a lot of changes as you ease back into things. I look forward to the drama that unfolds.”

There was a knock at the door. “We’ve all been through enough drama, Mr. Turner. Let’s look at it as an adventure and just enjoy the ride.”

He nodded with a grin as Ian told Crawford he could enter. “Hello, Lance.” Ian smiled but did not stand. “I apologize for not opening the door for you. I’m not getting around as easily as I did last time I saw you.”

Lance grasped the files he had with both hands and nodded. He looked at the floor a moment and then directly into Ian’s eyes. “Although our last meeting was not one of my better moments, I hope you know how relieved I am that you are back with us and going strong.”

“I appreciate that. Please grab a seat and sit down. The old man and the cripple can’t be of much service in that, but what else may I do for you today?”

Lance rolled a fancy leather chair to the other end of Ian’s desk. “I’m hoping to grab just a moment of your time to catch you up on a few promotional items.”

“Good.” Ian opened the calendar on his desk. “The doctor’s are still limiting my time at the office. I’m trying to follow their orders, so I apologize for any limitations that might put on you.”

“What time you offered in the past has always been quality. I have no doubt that will continue.” He handed Ian a file from his hands. “Here is a listing of what I have planned. All I need is your okay, and I’ll take care of it. Mr. Turner, a copy for you as well.”

“Two birds with one stone.” Turner took the file handed him.

“Just took a chance.” Crawford smiled. “If you weren’t here, my next stop was your assistant. Ian, I have been inundated with requests for personal interviews. I’ve made a list of the requests. I’ll schedule any you choose. I took no liberties, telling everyone that I could make no guarantees. You would make those decisions as soon as you felt it possible. I hope that was alright.”

“Actually, that’s perfect.” Ian said, perusing the list. “Most of these, I have no interest in. I prefer only to schedule interviews about HRT, not anything personal.”

“I understand.” Crawford said.

“But?” It was Turner who added that.

“No real buts, Mr. Turner.” Crawford turned to him. “I just want to subtly remind you both that at this point in time any appearance Ian makes there will be questions.” He turned to Ian. “Ian you have become the hot topic in the country right now, everyone wants to know anything and everything.”

“I understand.” Ian tried to say with sincerity and appreciation. “I’m very uncomfortable with that.”

“I understand that as well.” Crawford stood. “I am not suggesting that you do so. However, with all respect, let me remind you that you are under absolutely no obligation to divulge anything personal, but you are now one of the most powerful men in the country and a celebrity in your own right. You need to find a way to get comfortable with being in the spotlight that comes with the job.”

Ian nodded his head. “Yes, you are absolutely correct. Sit back down, Lance, unless you need to run off.”

“Well…thank you.” Lance sat back down. “May I ask how you are doing?”

“Of course.” Ian said. “I’m bored senseless and eager to forget about this whole nightmare. Unfortunately I am reminded of it every time I try to take a step, but I am making progress. I understand you had a flu, are you doing well?”

“100% recovered.” Lance made himself comfortable. “One of those things going around. I thought I could conquer it, but have to admit it knocked me on my butt for a few days. I hope I didn’t spread it around the office.”

“Those things always sweep through.” Turner told him as he looked through the folder he was given. “I see there are several other items here that look like more than requests for interviews.”

“Ian’s presence would be a coup for anyone right now. My assumption is “no” to all of them, but I’m waiting for word from Ian.”

“Dancing With the Stars?” Turner looked up.

Lance laughed. “That gave me a good laugh. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you’d be great, but the offer came just a few days after your accident.”

Ian threw back his head and laughed. “I was hooked up to wires and drip bags. If they’d gotten one look at me, they’d have thought it was funny, too. Wait…Minute To Win It?”

Crawford nodded his head. “They are doing some celebrity episodes to raise money for the Charity of the celebs choice, to be aired I think the week of Thanksgiving.”

“Ronnie loves that show.” Ian said. “I have to admit, I’ve never seen it. It’s his personal time with Tippy and Colton so I don’t intrude.”

Turner smiled. “I actually enjoy that one myself. Don’t tell anyone I’m watching another network’s shows though.”

“Would you like me to look into that one?” Lance asked.

“Go ahead.” Turner told Ian. “It’s on another network, but it is for charity and we can use the appearance to help with the new image.”

“New image?” Crawford asked, realizing that he was being left out of the loop.

“I apologize Lance. So much has been decided from my bedside. Our new variety series, “Is That On Tonight” every penny made from it will be going into an educational fund we’ve started. The website, all videos, every bit of time and talent is being donated and the proceeds go directly into the fund.”

“No money coming to HRT at all?”

“Not a penny.” Turner smiled. “We decided it was time to give back, in a big way on a regular basis. We have some other changes as well, Ian and I will be announcing at next weeks press conference.”

“When is that scheduled for?” Ian looked at Crawford, pen poised at his calendar.

“When do you want it scheduled?” Lance asked.

Ian smiled. “That’s your department Lance. I’m allowed to be in the office three days a week, four hours at a time. You tell us when you can get it all together, and I’ll make sure I’m there and at full capacity.”

“I’ll meet with you later today, if that’s all right to discuss the details.” Turner told him.

“Well if you will excuse me then, I’ve got a few balls I need to get rolling.” Lance stood and seemed to sincerely smile. “It is good to have you back with us. I look forward to working with you.”

Ian stood himself and put out his hand. “I as well, and Lance let’s not worry or dwell on anything that happened before today. I need to start from scratch. I hope you will allow me to do so.”

Crawford shook his hand and let out a held breath. “Thank you, Ian. As I see it there was no need for you to start with a clean slate. I am the one who made the mistakes. I trust you will allow me to make up for those.”

“What mistakes?” Ian said.

Lance Crawford nodded his head, clutched the remaining file to his chest and backed out of the office.

When the door shut, David Turner remained focused on the close door. “Interesting.”

“David, before we head up to the conference room, I wonder if you would allow me to take advantage of something.”

“Anything.” The old man returned his focus to the young man behind the desk.

“I want to use the scholarship aspect of the new employee program we are implementing.”

“I see no reason why not. I think that having you be the first person to take advantage of it will encourage others to do the same.” Turner leaned forward in pride. “I should as well.”

“Good.” Ian sat back in his chair and opened up another file to prepare discussion. “I’ll talk with the person I have in mind and then follow procedure.”

“You know you didn’t have to ask my permission.”

“I know.” Ian said. “But I need to clarify that although I have accepted the changes that are going on here, there will always be very little that I won’t feel the need to clear through you.”

“I’ll let you know when I find that annoying.” Turner opened up his own file and pulled out a pack of cigarettes, offering one to Ian. “Shut up and just take one. I’ve learned enough from you to know that as soon as you are comfortable with the perimeters, you’ll run full speed ahead.”

“But after Simon Kent and…”

David looked up at Ian and said sternly. “You are not Simon Kent, nor are you one to carry on blindly like Jack Tolan. You have been put in this position because of your keen sense of responsibility with a staggering talent to back up the trust you instill.”

“I appreciate your confidence.”

“Let’s be clear, Ian.” David Turner flicked an ash in the Tiffany tray on the desk. “We didn’t get a chance to discuss it, so let me do it now. I told you at the meeting that I had nothing to do with your being chosen to fill this role, but I also told you I supported it.”

“That day is still so vague.” Ian said. “There’s so much from the past month that seems like a fog that happened to someone else.”

“It was the board. They’ve been wanting to make changes for years, but I kept making them back down. Then you came along. You incited a creative riot, Young Justyn. You opened my eyes to my own complacency and the incompetence of people who somewhere along the way no longer seem to know the world had changed and hadn’t changed with it.”

“I can see how easy it would be to get caught in a bubble.”

“We’ll the bubble has burst. I’m sure they are many more battles before we win the war, but you have the support of everyone on the board, especially myself. Now I as long as I have a breath in my body, I’m going to make sure my fingerprint is on every pie and not just by proxy, but my job is to help you learn the fine points and technicalities. The rest we’re going to learn from you.”

“I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything Ian. Just keep doing what you are doing, and keep me in the loop. You’ve created an unstoppable team, and although you’ve been severely handicapped you’ve inadvertently begun whipping the entire company into another big team. Together, we’ll make it unstoppable, too.”

And they proceeded to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment