BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Vignette #193: Family Changes

Her face was covered in chocolate ice cream, but Vonnie was grinning from ear to ear. “Mmmm.” She fussed a little as Billy tried to wipe some of it off with a napkin. “Don’t Daddy. I wanna save some of it for later.”

“Angel, you look like a sticky calico cat.” Tippy said looking at her from her side of the table.

“Come here, Sweetheart.” Reese beckoned her with a finger. Her green eyes glittered as she slipped right into his lap, letting him dip a cloth napkin in a glass of water and wipe the sticky mess away. “Now, there’s that pretty face I was missing.”

“You missed it?” She said. “Where was it?”

“Hidden under all that chocolate.”

“Don’t you like chocolate? It’s my favorite.”

“Chocolate’s my favorite ice cream, but yours is my favorite face.” Reese squeezed her tight and kissed the top of her head.

“Daddy, may I be excused?” She asked politely.

“Honey, would you mind sitting with us just a teensy while longer? It’s so nice to have everyone around the table.” Billy looked around and all the friends and family.

“But I gotta go potty.”

“Oh…okay.”

“I’ll come right back.” She promised.

“Do you need some help?” Tippy asked.

“Na uh.” She said as she dashed off.

“Don’t forget to wash your hands!” Billy yelled to her, but shook his head knowing she was focused on something else.

It was a large group of family and friends, most had forgotten which was which and it no longer mattered. What mattered was that everyone around the joyous table we there to celebrate fatherhood, family, good food and chocolate ice cream.

“I wish Miss Inez and Rose could have stayed awhile longer.” Saxon licked the last drop of ice cream off her spoon.

“I think they would have but Miss Glo was getting restless.” Tippy smiled.

“Actually, I think Miss Glo was just an excuse.” Ian said stirring a little more sugar into his hot tea. “Miss Inez isn’t as strong as she likes to let on she is, but I think Miss Glo truly had all the excitement she could handle for one day.”

“She had a good time though.” Ronnie perked up. “I think. It’s hard to tell with her sometimes.”

“Yes, but I think I saw a smile behind that smirk a couple of times.” Colton said. “It was pretty obvious how touched she was when Ian showed her the room that Billy was going to remodel for her.”

“I’m hoping that getting her interested in decorating will encourage her to work just a little harder.” Ian sighed.

“Didn’t she used to be an interior designer?” Saxon said swiping a bit of ice cream from Ian’s glass.

“I’m sure that was she said she did, but she never had a license or anything.” Ian winked and slid the bowl closer to Saxon so no one would notice her eating the rest of his ice cream. “Basically she helped Southern ladies pick out wallpaper and arrange furniture, but it kept her busy after her husband died and she seemed to enjoy it.”

“Oh yes.” Tippy nodded her head. “One of those. I know of them well.”

“One of those?” Jesse said.

“Honey, in the Appalachians where we come from, not many have money, even those who have it don’t have nearly as much as they let on, so sometimes the faux do well would call upon other ladies of their class and pay them to decorate, so to speak.” She said.

“On other words, they’d say Miss Glo I want to spend this much money and make it look like this much money. Then they’d sit down, look through a couple of out dated magazines from the library, and anything under budget was Miss Glo’s to keep.” Ian nodded.

“Precisely.” Tippy giggled.

Vonnie came storming back out to the deck. “Did you wash your hands?” Her father inquired.

“Ya huh.” She wormed over to Ronnie.

“Before or after?”

She looked at her father. “Is that a trick question?” She looked a little guilty, holding up her hand and whispering something into Ronnie’s ear.

“What?” Ronnie seemed a little annoyed until she huffed and repeated the procedure.

“Oh yeah.” Ronnie looked up. “Excuse me, I’m going to go help Vonnie re-wash her hands.” The table all watched in silence and Ronnie took the little girl’s hand and led her back into the house.

“Should I be worried?” Billy asked.

“Aw, son, just let the kids ‘lone.” Jude smiled. “They prob’ly gots something planned.”

“That’s what I’m wondering if I should worried about.”

Reese patted Billy on the back. “It’s after dinner on Father’s Day. I know Vonnie actually asked Ronnie to help her with something.”

“She actually asked and didn’t grab him by the ankles, slam him to the ground and sit on him until he cried Uncle?” Billy said.

“She actually asked him.” Reese smiled.

Tippy beamed. “My Granbaby is growing up.”

“I knew there was a little girl in that monster somewhere.” Jesse said into his drink, making Saxon and Ian do spit takes.

“By the way, what happened to Ripley?” Colton looked around the table.

“He was sitting right there a minute ago.” Saxon pointed to his empty chair.

“He gathered a few dishes.” Ian said sipping his tea. “He’ll be right back.”

Actually it was almost instantaneously. He appeared at the door carrying several wrapped packages, followed closely behind by Ronnie and Vonnie each with grins on their faces.

“Me first!” Vonnie squeaked, dashing to her father and handing him a gift. “Happy Happy Daddy’s day!” She squirmed in his lap, barely giving room for Billy to hold the package.

“Is this for me?” He asked.

“Ya huh! Open it.” She could barely contain herself as her father ripped off the wrapping. “Do ya like it? Huh?”

“It’s beautiful, Vonnie.” Billy turned the frame around so the family could see.

“It’s me and Percy! Ronnie tuck it with his camera and I helped him print it out.” She beamed. “Granny put it in that thingy for me.”

“It’s a frame, Angel.” Tippy reminded her. “It’s called a frame.”

“Whatever.” Vonnie smiled. “Do ya like it?”

“I love it, sweetheart. I’ll put it right next to my bed.” Billy smiled.

“Okay, me second, too!” Vonnie seemed to beam over to Ripley, grabbed another package but this time went to Reese. “This is for you!” She giggled.

Reese didn’t know what to say. “For me? You got me a Father’s Day present?”

“Ya huh. You’re my other Daddy aren’t you?” She grinned. “Open it.”

Reese wasn’t sure if he should open the present or just bust out bawling. He opted for opening the gift. He pulled the frame from the wrapping and smiled, lips trembling. “I love it Vonnie. Thank you.”

“It’s my favorite picher.” Vonnie pointed to the corner. “See I aut-y-graphed it.”

“Yes, you did.” Reese said quietly. He handed the picture to his parents. Tippy almost cried when she saw in very childish handwriting very clearly saying “I love you Daddy Reese.”

“Did you know anything about this?” Reese asked Billy who shook his head.

“Okay.” Vonnie squirmed into Reese’s lap. “I’m done.”

Ripley looked at Ronnie. “Which one?”

“That one.” He said and Ripley handed him the package, which of course would be on the bottom. Ronnie walked over to Colton. “This one’s for you Poppy, and Granny, too.”

Colton’s eyes glittered. “Well, thank you Ronnie.”

“I know you’re just my Poppy by love, but that’s the most important thing.” He said as he handed Colton the large package, leaning into his arms as Colton tenderly ripped away the paper.

Everyone was leaning to see what was hidden. In a large frame, Ronnie had taken several pictures of Colton and Tippy, Jesse and Reese, as well everyone at the table, all smiling and laughing faces and made a collage. Using the computer program Jude had bought him he had expertly woven them all together. The matting was titled, “My Family”.

“That’s perfect.” Colton squeezed the boy close.

“I love you, Poppy.” Ronnie said as both Colton and Tippy, uncharacteristically speechless, hugged and kissed him

No comments:

Post a Comment