BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Vignette #180: Professional Eye

“That’s beautiful.” She sighed as she came and sat down on the bench beside Ian. “I missed hearing you play.”

“I missed being able to play.” Ian said as he flexed his fingers. “But I think it’s time to stop for the night.”

Saxon took his hands. “Do they hurt?”

“Naaa…I’m just not used to it anymore, but when the doctor took the cast off this morning he said playing would be good therapy.” Ian closed the keyboard.

“And you always follow doctor’s orders to the letter.” She smiled.

Ian smiled back. “My letter anyway…”

“What’s this?” Saxon touched a bruise on the hairline of Ian’s temple.

“Nothing.” He winced. “Don’t…”

“How did you get that bruise?” Saxon gave him a look.

“Tell her, Baby Doll.” She heard Tippy giggle behind her.

“It’s just a bruise.” Ian shot a look Tippy’s way. “I’ve got a little boo boo.”

“Boo Boo?” Saxon bit her lip. “Is that more than an owie but less than a whoopsie?”

Ian thought a second. “I think its whoopsie, boo boo, owie…I’m not sure. When I was growing up it was breathe, wham, the lights went out.”

“Well you’re the adult now, you’ll have to figure that out.” Saxon rubbed Ian’s arm.

“I think Ronnie’s a little past boo boos and owies.” Ian smiled. “He is, but I’m not. I’m very immature for my age.”

“From your mouth to God’s ear.” She heard Tippy snort and then disappear with “I know, I know, no comments from the peanut gallery.”

“So you’re not going to tell me how you got the bruise.” Saxon sighed.

“You know me well.” Ian smiled and stood up from the bench.

Someone yelled “Cane!” from somewhere behind them.

Ian started to take a step and the word was shouted again. “The doctor said…oh never mind.” Ian rolled his eyes and grabbed the cane. He pouted and trotted to the couch, Saxon and Rodie following patiently behind.

“So…” Saxon made herself comfortable beside him as the cat made herself comfortable on the back of the couch. “What did the doctor say?”

Ian looked at her. “Checking to see if I deviate any from the detailed fax you received?”

“I didn’t get a fax.” Saxon turned her head and yelled toward the kitchen. “Tippy, why didn’t I get the fax?”

“Email then.” Ian looked at her knowingly. “And don’t try to convince me that wasn’t what Tippy was doing with her blackberry while Ripley was trying to distract me with conversation.”

“Fine.” Saxon smiled, and touched the bruise on his temple. “Maybe we should change the subject. You seem a little touchy.” She tapped the bruise and made him wince.

“You’re mean.” Ian pulled away from her.

“You’re a big baby.” She teased.

“Hey!” They heard Ronnie say. “Don’t make me separate you two!”

After a few giggles, they calmed down and tried to act like adults. “So David Turner is joining us for dinner?”

Ian nodded his head. “That’s why everyone is here. He wants to discuss our little project.”

“You think he’s interested in directing?” Saxon suddenly got very serious.

“I’m not sure. He offered before he read the script. I had a copy faxed to him and he’s been silent ever since.” Ian tried to read her. “Is this a good thing or a bad thing?”

Saxon leaned back on the couch. “Definitely both. Having a legend like David Turner direct is a dream come true, but on the other hand is the subject matter something that he can connect with?”

“That’s why I gave him the option to bow out once he got a look. If nothing else, maybe he can help us connect with a director.”

“And a third lead.” Saxon moaned. “Everything else has fallen right into place, but that other role is crucial and there aren’t many actors in the business who can nail the role and be willing to go as far as we’re asking them to go.”

“John Barrowman turned us down.” Ian said. “I knew it was a long shot. His manager called with a very flat no. I’m not even sure he ever read the script. He’d be perfect, but I have the feeling the subject matter got it tossed before he even got a chance to look at it.”

“I don’t know him personally, so I can’t do any coaxing on my part.” Saxon sighed. “I’ve gone through everyone I know of. Do you think we should start looking at unknowns, maybe have a casting call?”

“That runs the risk of setting off blips on the radar.” Ian patted her hand. “Let’s keep trying to keep this quiet. Our best bet is the surprise attack when it comes to release. We’ll just keep looking under every celluloid rock. The perfect person is out there, we just haven’t found him yet.”

Their conversation was interrupted by a hyperactive blonde four year old in pigtails scooting to a stop in front of them. “I know you!” She said, hands on hips staring at Saxon.

“Well, I don’t know you.” Saxon smiled.

“Saxon this is Billy’s daughter Vonnie.” Ian made a formal introduction. “Vonnie this is my friend Saxon.”

“I am very pleased to meet you.” Saxon put her hand under the child’s chin. “I’ve heard so much about you.”

“Yeah, I heard about you, too.” Vonnie giggled. “You’re much prettier than you are in the TV.”

“Why thank you. You’re very pretty, too.”

“I’m gonna be Miss America like my Granny.” Vonnie informed her. “Course, I’m gonna marry Ronnie, too, so he’ll hafta wait until after I win. Ya cain’t be Miss America and be married.”

“That’s what I heard.” Saxon smiled.

“Vonnie, honey, did you have something you needed to tell us or did you just come scooting in here for no reason?” Ian asked her.

“Oh, yeah. I forgotted.” Vonnie put her finger to her dimple. “Poppy and Mister Jude wanna know when to put the steaks on and Uncle Jesse wants your help in the kitchen.”

“Okay, tell your Poppy to wait until the Tyson’s arrive. Mr. Turner said not to wait for him, he probably won’t be here until time for dessert.”

Vonnie’s eyes lit up. “We’re having dessert?”

“Of course, we’re having dessert.” Ian reached out and pulled her close to him.

“What kin’na dessert?” She giggled as he tickled her.

“I’m not sure.” Ian hugged her and kissed the top of her head. “You’ll have to ask your Uncle Jesse. He’s in charge, but I’m sure it will be something wonderful.”

“Ice cream?” She asked.

“I don’t know, but if you eat a good dinner and are a good little girl, I’m sure I can find some ice cream somewhere.”

“Oh, I’m always a good little girl.”

“I’m sure.” Ian patted her bottom. “Now run go tell your Poppy and Jude to wait a while longer on the steaks and Saxon and I will wander toward the kitchen.”

“Okay!” Vonnie darted away and then darted right back. “It was nice meeting you Miss Saxon Allen.”

“Nice meeting you, too.” Saxon smiled. Vonnie flashed out of the living room. “Oh my, is that a ball of energy?”

“Sometimes a ball of energy, sometimes a nuclear explosion.” Ian pushed himself off the couch. “I’m surprised we don’t have to nail her down to get her to sleep. Shockingly Tippy seems to balance her out.”

Saxon stood as the doorbell rang. “That must be Jeremy and Susan. I assume they are bringing the boys, too?”

“Of course.” Ian leaned over and whispered to Rodie. “The Tyson boys are here. Run for your life.”

Rodie turned from her perch on the back of the couch as Ripley opened the front door. As soon as the squeals from the Tyson boys were audible, Rodie was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment