BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Friday, March 11, 2011

Vignette #172: From Home

Dinner was wonderful, although they all admitted they missed lunch lotto. Ian enjoyed his after dinner smoke, on the patio by the pool. He quickly rebonded with Ralphie, who was so excited he couldn’t stop peeing.

Ian had finally meandered back inside, realizing that meandering was going to be his full speed for awhile. He had made it back to the couch and was happily looking through notes for the two meetings he had the next day.

The doctors were allowing him four hours at work three days a week with one day off in between. Tomorrow he needed to take full advantage of his four hours. Although constantly being informed and making final decisions from his hospital bed, there a few things that needed to be done face to face.

As he made a note on top of his notes, he heard a little pounce to the arm of the couch. He looked out of the corner of his eye, and chose to ignore the sound. He finished reading his paper and slid the pile back in his backpack on the coffee table before him.

He sighed and leaned back, the pouncer now in full vision. “I wondered when you’d rear your head.”

Rodie curled her tail around her haunches and meowed. She cocked her head then scratched at the ribbon around her neck.

“I see Tippy’s gotten her hands on you.” Ian chuckled. “The bow is a little much.”

The cat stepped off the arm and gracefully moved herself to the cushion beside Ian.

“That’s close enough.” He put up his hand. “I owe you, but that doesn’t mean we bond or anything. You are still a rodent fur ball. You’ve shown you can use your evil for good, but I still have doubts.”

Rodie cocked her head, curled up in a ball and tried to get comfortable with the pink ribbon and bow around her neck. She gave up and looked up into Ian’s eyes.

“Look, we’re even okay?” Ian told her. “I scooped you up out of the barn when like an idiot you didn’t follow your family to safety, and you made me bend down when I was dumb enough not to know there was a gun pointed at my head. Even, got it? We no longer have that Hindu Karma thing hanging between us. Now, go away…”

Rodie scratched at the bow again. She fussed and preened, determined to get comfortable.

“Oh, alright.” Ian pouted. “Don’t take this as anything other than knowing what it’s like to be uncomfortable. There will be no touchy feely stuff between us, understand?”

Rodie stood up allowing Ian to fumble a bit and get the ribbon loose from her neck. She did take advantage of the situation and rubbed her fuzzy cheek against his fingers.

“You’re welcome.” Ian surprised himself by reaching out and lightly rubbing his finger down her fur. Rodie responded with a very happy purr, but didn’t dare take a step toward him. She did however take a swat at the ribbon now dangling from Ian’s hand. It made him laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

Ian threw the ribbon across the room, and the cat made a mad dash after it. “Nothing.”

He looked up to see a wide grin on Reese’s face. Ian grinned back. “Hey buddy, did you make it home?”

“I see you did.” Reese reached down and gave Ian a soft hug. “You look…well…happy to be out of the hospital.”

“I am.” Ian responded as Reese took a seat beside him on the couch. “You look sleepy. Did you get any rest at all?”

Reese snorted. “Of course. It’s a long trip to make in just a few days.”

“How are Billy and Vonnie?”

“Doing well. I’m going back in a few days, pick them up and bring them for an extended visit.”

“Why did you even bother to come back? You should have just stayed until they were ready. Honeymoon’s not over, is it?” Ian eyed him.

Reese blushed. “No, but I had something I needed to bring back for you.”

“Reese, I told you no gifts. I am certainly glad to see you but…”

“Oh shut up.” Reese said and gently shoved him. “You can thank me later.”

Ian heard a throat clear. He turned his head around to see Jude standing there, Ronnie melted into his arms. “Are you happy to see me or is that plaster in yer pocket?”

He tried to stand. Reese had to help, but within moments the three; Ian, Jude and Ronnie were all a mass of joy, tears and hugs.

Ian didn’t want to let go. Jude didn’t either and Ronnie surely wasn’t. There were a million unanswered questions, but all they could think of was making sure that the other was truly there, standing in their presence and not leaving their arms ever again.

“Son, you look like crap.” Jude said clutching Ronnie and holding Ian tight.

“You don’t look much better.” Ian couldn’t let go. He’d never needed someone so close in his life, but he finally had to let go or fall down. “Are you hungry?”

“I’ll be fine. Miss Tippy is heating us up somethin’.” Jude put his grandson down, and finally took Ian in both his arms. “You ever scare me like that again an’ I’ll beat you like you never been beat before.”

“I had to do something to get you here.” Ian closed his eyes and took a deep breath relishing the scent of a good memory of home. “Maybe I went a little overboard.”

Jude finally pushed Ian back, holding his head with both hands and taking a good look. “Look at you, all skinny and peekid. I thought that hospital was supposed to be fixing you up. Looks ta me, like they done a half assed job.”

“He looks so much better now, Grampaw.”

“Well, if you say so, but if I thought diff’ernt I’d have to go whoop me some fancy doctor butt.”

“Do it anyway.” Ian grinned. “I dare ya.”

Jude shook his finger at him. “Aw yer awright boy. Here, let’s sit down. This old man’s tard.”

Ian allowed Jude and Ronnie to help him back to the couch. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?” Ian wanted to know.

“I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Everyone knew, but you Papa. We figured it was the best welcome home gift you could ever get.” Ronnie beamed.

“It is, Puppy. Thank you.” Ian turned back to Jude. “And now that he’s here, we’re not letting him go back.”

Jude put up his hands. “Let’s not argue, son. I just had to see you fer myself. This is some fancy place.”

“There’s plenty of room.”

“Shoot Grampaw, we got rooms we don’t know what to do with.” Ronnie bounced.

“Stand up fer me, Ronnie. Let yer Grampaw have a good look.” He smiled. “You have grown! Yer gonna be as purdy as yer Papa. I brought a little something fer ya.”

“For me?” Ronnie’s eyes lit up.

“Why don’t you run find yer Uncle Reese and help him bring in m’stachel?”

“You won’t go nowhere?”

“I’m right here, little man. The most I’ll go is to the kitchen when the food’s hot.”

“Okay, I’ll be right back.” Ronnie dashed out shouting for Reese.

Ian grabbed Jude’s arm. “So how are you doing?”

Jude nodded his head. “You and the boy’s the best medicine I’ll ever get.”

“You don’t look half bad for a sick old redneck.” Ian couldn’t help but wipe a tear from his cheek. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

Jude couldn’t respond. He just kept that tight smile on his face and nodded his head.

“Now, before Ronnie gets back, I’m just going to set the rules.” Ian was upfront and firm. “We’re going to make a few calls and find out…”

“Ian, I just want to be comfortable. That’s all. I ain’t gonna let my grandbaby watch me die. I ain’t gonna let you watch me die. I am here because I needed to see you and I miss the boy somethin’ terrible.”

“But while you are here, let’s just see what we can do to make you a little more comfortable.” Ian looked at him. “I can see the pain in your eyes, Jude.”

“Just as I can see it in yers.”

“Well, I’m due a handful of medication. What’s your excuse?” Ian raised one eyebrow. “You will not fight me on this Jude. I’m not going to make you stay, but as far as I’m concerned this is your home and quite frankly I’ve got you hostage for a little while.”

“Hostage?”

“How ya getting” home?” Ian smiled. “I know there’s not a lot of miracles out there, but let’s see if we can at least make whatever time we all have together as comfortable as possible. Will you let me do that for you? For Ronnie? For me?”

Jude nodded his head. “If it will make you happy, I’ll do just about anything.”

“Mr. Jude?” Jesse shyly interrupted. “Dinner’s ready.”

“Thank you.” Jude turned to Ian. “I have to admit, I could use a little bite. Do you mind?”

“You go right ahead.” Ian smiled. “I can see Mr. Subtlety there is sweating with a handful of pills he’s hoping I won’t put up a fuss about having to take.”

“You need me to pin him down while you shove ‘em down his throat? I got no problem with that.” Jude looked at Jesse for the first part and Ian for the second.

“No need. I won’t put up a fight.” Ian put out his hand and Jesse dropped a half dozen capsules in his hand. “But I’m going to warn you. I’m not supposed to know it, but one or two of these will knock me out for the rest of the night, so until I figure out which one’s which I will probably be a zombie by the time you finish your stew.”

“Well, as you pointed out.” Jude handed Ian a glass of water from the coffee table. “I ain’t goin’ nowhere fer a while.”

He stood and kissed Ian on the forehead. “I’ll go have me some supper, and you just relax and let us take care a you awhile longer. If nothin’ else I’ll see you in the mornin’.”

Jude got up and followed Jesse back to the dining room. “I cain’t get over how big this place is. It may take me a while to get used to it all.”

“Ian and Ronnie are so glad you’re here, Mr. Jude.” Jesse told him as he pulled out a chair for him at the table. “Thank you for coming. I think it’s just what everyone needed.”

“Ya’ll have taken good care of m’boys. I’m so ‘preciative.”

“Now, Ian didn’t make this.” Tippy said putting a steaming bowl in front of Jude. “But it’s pretty good if I do say so myself.”

“It was wonderful, Tippy.” Colton smiled and hugged his wife.

“Why don’t ya’ll sit with me while I eat?” Jude nodded to them. “I eat alone all the time. Comp’ny would be nice fer a change. I promise not to talk with m’mouth full.”

Tippy smiled and pulled out the chair across from him and took a seat. “How you feeling, Mr. Jude?”

Jude nodded his head as he took a spoonful of the hot stew. “This is good. Thank you.”

“Thursday’s are usually just simple meals for us. Weekends we do meals up right, a big family time. We’re excited to have you be a part of us now.” Tippy smiled.

Colton came back in the room with a second steaming bowl and placed it on the table. “The boys are bringing your bags in. Reese will be looking for some of his Mama’s stew soon.”

“They didn’t need to do that.” Jude looked up. “I just wanted one of ‘em to help Ronnie bring m’ satchel in so I could give him the little gift I brought em.”

“Hey, don’t you ever worry about having the young ones do the heavy stuff for you. That’s why God gave us children, to take the heavy load off those of us that aren’t quite so young anymore.” Colton smiled as he seated himself beside his wife.

“I guess they told on me?” Jude remained focused on his stew.

“Mr. Jude, that depends on what you’re talking about.” Tippy said softly. “The boys didn’t mean to embarrass you, but if you are referring to your health, then yes we know.”

“Ian needed someone to talk to.” Colton told him. “He’s become very important to us, and we’re glad that he felt he could share that with us. He was hoping we might know of somebody or someone that can help.”

Jude put his spoon down. “Well, I thank you for being there for Ian; Ronnie, too. Ian’s never been one to share his burdens. It does my heart good to know he’s learned to trust some.”

“No one has said anything to Ronnie about it.” Tippy put her hand on Jude’s. “He’s been staying with us. Ian made your wishes clear and we will always respect that.”

“I know that sooner or later, he’ll need to know, but right now…”

“Later is best for now.” Colton said. “Quickly before Ronnie comes running back in, I have referred Ian to a practice I know of. My best friend fought cancer for nine years. He was happy and comfortable right up the last minute.”

“It’s a group of doctors that specialize in this sort of thing.” Tippy smiled. “They never promise miracles, but they’ve got a sterling reputation working aggressive cancers with aggressive treatments. You’ll be in good hands.”

“Thank you.” Jude nodded his head. “You’ve taken such good care of Ian an’ m’granbaby. I don’t know what any of us would’a done without ya.”

“Mr. Jude…” Tippy looked at Colton, who smiled, and then looked back at Jude. “That’s what family is for. It took awhile for it to sink in with Ian, I hope you’ll be a little quicker to think of us that way.”

“We feel we already know so much about you.” Colton smiled. “I know we’re perfect strangers to you, but with Ronnie and Ian we all, the boys included, already think of you as part of us.”

Ronnie rushed into the dining room dragging an army issued satchel. “Is this want your looking for Grampaw?” He could barely contain the excitement.

“Why I do believe it is.” Jude put his spoon down as Reese sat down beside him and dug into his own bowl of stew. “Now, let’s see…” He dug around a little, finally pulling out two bright colored boxes, obviously wrapped by a man. He handed both of them to his grandson.

“Both for me?”

“Abs’lutely. Now don’t go getting too stirred up. They ain’t much.” He pointed to the biggest of the two. “Open that’n first.”

Ronnie ripped off the colored paper and his eyes lit up. “A art program for my lap top!”

“I know how much you like t’draw, so I had Billy go find me something where you kin do it right on yer computer.”

“That’s so cool!” Ronnie looked at the back of the box. “Says here I can print it out or email anywhere. Thank you Grampaw!”

“Let me see.” Tippy held out her hand.

“Now that other little box is sumpin’ old I found an’ thought you might like ta have.” Jude said as Ronnie ripped open the second box.

“Oh, Grampaw!” Ronnie looked in his hands. “They’re beautiful.”

“They was mine when I was yer age.” Jude said. “My daddy said that my Grampaw made ‘em fer me.”

Jude looked bittersweetly at the Indian and the Teepee made of copper. “They needs a good cleanin’. I found ‘em wrapped up in a old bandana and tucked away in a box a Christmas stuff.”

“Your grandfather was a coppersmith?” Colton asked.

“That’s what m’ Daddy tol’ me. He died when I was young. I don’t remember him at’all. Knowing how important family is, ‘specially now, I thought I’d pass ‘em on.”

“I’ll take such good care of ‘em.” Ronnie looked up. “Someday, I’ll pass ‘em on to my little boy.”

Jude grinned. “You do that.”

“Let me finish eating, Ronnie and I’ll help you load that program on your laptop.” Reese said in between slurps.

“I’m gonna go show Papa!” Ronnie clutched the old toys to his chest and started to bolt, running right into Jesse. “Oops. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Jesse laughed. “Where you headed off to in such a hurry, Flash?”

“I’m gonna show Papa what Grampaw brought me!” Ronnie squealed and started to run.

Jesse grabbed him by the collar and held him spinning in place. “Too late, Bubba. Ian’s out like a light.”

Colton and Tippy looked at each other and high fived.

“I wouldn’t get too smug.” Jesse told his parents. “He’ll figure out which one it is, and it’ll be just like trying to give the cat a wormer. He’ll eat everything in the dish but the little white pill.”

“He won’t figure it out.” Colton grinned.

“I guarantee you he will.” Jess assured them.

“Tonight, I crushed it up and put it in his water.” Tippy giggled. “I figure we’ll find a way to slip it to him differently every night. Hopefully, by the time he figures it out, we won’t need to sedate him.”

“That’s awful sneaky.” Jude told her and grinned. “I like it!”

Reese looked up. “He’s not laying down flat is he?”

Jesse laughed. “No. He’s sitting up on the couch…” He giggled. “And your not going to believe this, so I got pictures…” He opened up his cell phone and passed it around.

“I think we’ve found his Christmas card.” Tippy laughed. “You know he’ll kill you if he ever sees that.”

She passed the phone to Colton and Reese, who almost choked on his stew. “We need to send this to everyone we know.”

“Oh no…” Jesse said. “I know good blackmail material when I see it.”

“Ooh…ooh…” Ronnie said with an evil smirk. “Send it to Uncle Blake. He can put it on
Papa’s desktop at work as his screen saver.”

Colton chuckled. “We can have a pool to see how long it takes him to notice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment