BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Vignette #183: Tippy's View

“There you are.” She said quietly and sweetly, hoping not to scare him. “What’cha doin’, Baby Doll?”

“Watching the sun set.” He said just as quietly.

Tippy pulled a chaise close to him. “The sun set’s behind your back.”

Ian looked up at her and smiled. “But the reflection in the pool is so fascinating.”

She took his hand. “I’d give anything right now if you’d tell me what’s going on in your head.”

“Just getting lost in all that splendor. It’s…so…easy to do.” He focused his eyes on her. “I assume everything is under control.”

“Of course.” Tippy leaned back in the chase and looked up at the sky never letting go of his hand. “Saxon’s in the kitchen making Monkey Bread with the kids.”

“Please tell me she’s not trying to use real monkeys.”

She giggled. “Ronnie and Vonnie are showing her how. She’s having a blast. She’ll be a great mother some day.”

Ian nodded in agreement. “Yes. Despite being a disaster in the kitchen, I think she will be. All she has to do is stop falling in love with gay men.”

“Baby Doll…”

Ian out up his hand and cut her off. “Don’t go there…not tonight.”

Tippy smiled and gave his hand a squeeze. “How are you? Head still a little sore?”

He chuckled and rubbed his bruise lightly. “Doing fine. Pride’s almost better.”

“Dinner will be ready soon. We’re just waiting on Dave.”

“Mr. Turner isn’t coming until dessert.”

“No, he called about a half hour ago and asked if there was enough room for him at the dinner table.” Tippy smiled.

“Oh, good. He needs to get out and be with people more.” Ian sighed. “I know this house has to bring back some not so good memories for him.”

“Honey, there’s not really much left of the house he remembers, but yes it probably does bring back a few things but I get the feeling he’s ready to face those demons head on.” She turned to Ian. “How about you?”

“No demon wrestling here.” Ian said.

“Look me in the eye when you say that, Baby Doll and maybe I’ll get a start on believing it.”

Ian dropped his chin and looked back in the water. Tippy pulled his hand a little bit. “I’d worry less if you talk to someone about it, even if it’s not me.”

He smiled and sighed. “I’m okay, Tippy, honestly. A lot has happened, I’m still processing it all.”

She nodded. “Me, too. Sometimes when I close my eyes, just for an instant I get this flash of you laying on…” Tippy stopped herself. She cocked her head and reached out and took his chin, gently forcing Ian to look in her eyes. This time Ian squeezed her hand.

“Me, too.” He drew her hand to his lips and kissed it. “Me, too. You know, I’ve been thinking.” He sighed.

Tippy put her feet on the ground. “Uh oh, sometimes that’s a good thing, sometimes it’s not so good.”

Ian laughed. “Let me tell you what I’m thinking and then you can decide.” He put his feet on the ground and faced her. “Now that Billy’s here, maybe it’s time to renovate a little.”

“Renovate?”

“You know, I moved in here and did pretty much nothing. I love this house, but everything in it was Miss Elizabeth, Miss Elizabeth and Herman. Maybe you and I should put our heads together and see if Billy can help make this place a little more mine, mine and Ronnie’s.”

“I like the sound of that.” Tippy grinned. “If nothing else, that stone wall needs to go.”

“First thing on my list.” Ian stood, not letting go of her hand and pulled her to her feet. “And I want to make the first floor a little more handicap accessible.”

“For Miss Gloria?” Tippy put her head and his shoulder as he placed his arm around her shoulders.

“For Miss Gloria…” They headed toward the kitchen door.

No comments:

Post a Comment