BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Monday, November 1, 2010

Vignette #39: Samaritan

"Miss Humphreys?”

“Yes.”

“You don’t know me, but I’m calling as a representative of HRT Studios.”

“Has Ian had a change of heart?” Clare thought hopefully.

“No, I’m sorry.”

“Goodbye.”

“Don’t hang up.”

“Why not? There is nothing to discuss.”

“Oh, but there is Clare. May I call you Clare?”

“No. Who is this anyway?”

“I told you I’m a representative of…”

“Yeah, yeah, buddy. I got it…HRT Studios.” She picked up the writ she’d tossed down beside the phone. “I already got your representation. Don’t worry I won’t come anywhere near the studio…or that rat bastard again.”

“Miss Humphreys, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I’m not calling about that that. I’m calling to make sure you understand your position.”

“What position? I’m jobless, without enough money for a plane ticket home, and this flea bag motel won’t give me a refund, so unless I cough up some more cash, I’m homeless by the end of the week, too.”

“If you would be so kind as to just let me have a moment of your time…Clare…please, I think there’s a way for you to turn this situation around.”

“Who is this?”

“Why don’t you call me Bruno?”

“Bruno? So, Bruno, you want to play matchmaker?”

Clare heard the man laugh on the other end of the phone. “No, dear. Let’s be honest. The man lied to you, took advantage of you, lured you away from home, publicly humiliated you and then left you flat broke. It would be stupid of me to even consider any sort of reconciliation between the two of you, and I would think that, even if it takes some time, you wouldn’t even consider it yourself.”

“Well, I’m not real happy at the moment, but there’s not a whole heck of a lot that I can do.”

“This is California, dear. There is a whole heck of a lot you can do.”

“Yeah? Like what? Boo hoo to the press?”

“Well, that’s one option, but that’s a card better played later in the game.”

“What game?”

“The revenge game, Clare…revenge. It’s what the “R” in California stands for.”

“Look, Mr. HRT Rep, Bruno, whatever, I’m not interested in any games, unless it’s poker with a big pot and I’m the only one who knows the cards are marked.”

“That’s what I’m telling you. If it’s money you want, money you need, then you have all the cards to get it…from Ian.”

Clare smirked. “Oh yeah, half of every thing. I got it. Look, I haven’t got time for ambulance chasers…you are a lawyer right?”

“No, actually, I’m just a concerned man, aghast at the awful treatment you were given and am offering my services to help rectify it…financially, and of course, emotionally. Who cares about money, Clare, when you can make him suffer and sweat the way he’s making you.”

Clare had to admit, right now nailing Ian’s testicles to beehive and feeding them to the bears sounded…she shook her head. “Thank you…Bruno, but I just need to take care of myself from now on. I appreciate your call.”

“Wait, at least let me help you out.”

“Look, mister…”

“I’m going to messenger a little cash over to you.”

“What for?”

“Just to help you out. Use it to go home. Use it to stay. Whatever you need.”

“And in return?”

“Nothing.”

“Just a good Samaritan?”

“Just a good Samaritan. I’ll put my phone number in there, and should you change your mind, or just need some one to talk to who understands your side of things…just give me a call. That’s all I ask.”

No comments:

Post a Comment