BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Monday, November 22, 2010

Vignette #85: Campaigns

Ian nodded. “Anything else, sir?”

“Just a couple of little things.” Turner leaned back in his chair.

“Shoot.”

“Have you seen the fall promo campaign Crockett’s people put together?”

That was a question Ian had hoped wouldn’t come up. “Yes.”

“I heart HRT.” Turner scrunched up his already wrinkled face in disgust. “What do you think?”

Ian sighed. “Actually sir, I think it’s awful. I understand what he’s going for, which is exactly what we asked for, something that will catch the eye of a younger market but not insult the older.”

“And…?”

“And I think it reflects most of what comes out of Lance Crockett’s office, exactly what is required, nothing more nothing less. It will deliver exactly what it has before. The older demographic will think it’s non-offensive and mildly amusing. The younger demographic will find it laughably outdated and ignore us, as always, in droves.”

Turner nodded his head. “If I didn’t own the place, and saw that campaign I’d certainly head over to Fox or CBS. Hell, I’d turn off the TV completely and read a book.”

“Well, we don’t have to accept it.”

“True, but can Crockett’s people come up with something else in so short a time that won’t be even worse, or at most the same thing in a different color?”

“Mr. Turner, do we always have to go exclusively with something designed from in house? Perhaps we could energize that department but letting them know they have competition.”

“That’s what I was thinking. My plan is to let him do his little presentation and then coax the rest of the board to open up the campaign to some outside sources. If they don’t see things my way, I’ll pull rank and do it anyway.”

“You da boss.”

“What about you?”

“Me?”

“You can not tell me that someone on your team hasn’t come up with some idea for a fall campaign.” Turner grinned.

“Actually, we have, but we opted not to go beyond putting a mock trailer together. We were afraid that a few of the more seasoned might perceive it as showboating and get the programs we’ve worked so hard on to be overlooked intentionally.”

“May I see what you came up with?”

“Sure. I’ll have Sean send a dupe up to your office. It’s just a few things we did on a simple Flash program. We were thinking…never mind. It kind of speaks for itself.”

“Would expect no less.”

“Anything else?”

“The Torkelson Show.” David Turner spit out. “It sucks.”

Ian blinked. “And?”

“I know it. Torkelson knows it and you knew it all along.”

“I don’t do I told you so.”

“Think your team can fix it?”

“I doubt it. The first script is brilliant. The second is cute. By the first commercial break the third becomes Pink Lady and Jeff Meets Supertrain. Then it really gets bad.”

“Suggestions? Instinct?”

“Don’t put it on the fall schedule. Give his people time to regroup, maybe a different direction or an entirely new concept.”

“Kent’s already run trades. We’ll look like fools.”

“And we won’t airing the most expensive bowel movement in history?”

“Good point, but…”

“Then do this.” Ian’s mind was racing. “Just formally announce a half hour starring Jeff Torkelson. That’s really all that’s in verifiable print. That gives him enough time to completely change the premise and/or title, frees them up creatively and yet adheres to the contract on both ends.”

“Will you meet with Torkelson?”

“Is that a question or an order?”

“Let’s call it the big boss suggesting strongly.”

“Not a problem then.” Ian took a deep breath.

“But?”

“Simon Kent. I don’t want to sneak around behind his back, and quite frankly I have little desire to stir Tallulah Belle’s bees up.”

“Kent suggested it.”

“Excuse me?”

“Kent and Torkelson hate each other with a passion. Torkelson doesn’t trust Kent and quite frankly I think Kent wants the show to be a big disaster.”

“He’s after the VP spot. Why would he want his own idea to be such a disaster?”

“Think about it. The show is suppose to bring in the young demographic, a demographic he doesn’t think we really need. If it bombs, especially if it’s a big bomb, the board will think twice about going that far beyond our base audience again.”

Ian nibbled on a pencil. “Makes sense, and if he washes his hands of it and turns it over to me he gets two proverbial birds with one stone.”

“It’s sink or swim time, Ian.”

“Okay, I choose swim.”

“Good man, Torkelson’s waiting for your call. Do it today.”

“You got it. Something informal; I’m taking Ronnie to get hamburgers tonight.”

“I’m sure your son can burp a better idea than Kent.”

“I guess we’ll see. Give me a sec.” Ian pressed a button on the intercom. “Blake, get Jeff Torkelson on the phone for me.”

“You got it Boss Man.”

“Anything else?”

“Not really.” Turner raised an eye. “You trying to get rid of me?”

“Nope. Just wondering when it’s time to end business and call a couple of hookers for us.”

Turner laughed. “Okay, but I get the red head this time.” Turner leaned in. “One more little thing, strictly off the record.”

“Sure.”

“Kent’s contract is up in August. He’s deliberately put off contract negotiations, probably thinking if he can wait until after the Fall Season reveal he’ll be negotiating for Tolan’s job.”

“It makes sense.” Ian said. “He’s been here longer than anyone. It would be the natural progression. I think every one pretty much assumes that’s what will happen.”

“The board has already determined, surprisingly without my swinging my weight around. They aren’t going to negotiate. When his people try and set up a meeting, they are going to thank him politely for his years of service and hang up.”

“Oooh.” Ian frowned. “Can I take that month off?”

Ian thought a moment. “Do they know about…?” He asked Turner.

He shook his head. “Not a clue. His track record is just abysmal. The last ten years he’s produced expensive failure after failure, always blaming it on some factor out of his control. The board has just gotten wise. Crockett will probably be out the door as soon as his contract is up as well.”

“Will any of us have a job?” Ian asked.

“All of this is between you and I, but there is going to be a complete restructuring.”

“No problem. I won’t even tell the cat.”

Turner smiled. “How’s that working out?”

Ian took a deep breath. “Well, for starters, the vet informed us it’s not a he, but a she. Ronnie’s named her Rodie.”

“Rodie?”

“Short for ‘The Rodent’. It still follows me around everywhere, and for some reason I can’t get the neighbor’s dog to eat it. I think they’re kinda friends which is sickening. It has stopped being on my face staring at me when I wake up in the morning. I think screaming and throwing it against the wall four days in a row finally rang its little Pavlovian bell.”

Turner laughed.

“Unfortunately, Billy and Sparky…”

“Billy and Sparky?”

“My best friend and his sister, they’ve been closing up Aunt Hil’s house for me. They found the Mama cat and the rest of the litter. The furry demon phoenixes somehow rose from the ashes and survived. For a moment I thought Ronnie would insist we go get them and bring them all home.”

“You changed his mind?”

“Actually, Billy’s daughter is getting one of the kittens. Sparky has taken in the mother, and one of their brother’s is taking one of the others. If we can find a home for one more, Ronnie won’t resort to blackmail.” Ian crossed his fingers and held them up. “Pray for me.”

Turner shook his head. “Young Justyn, fatherhood suits you so. You want to be a hero?”

“Only if I don’t have to wear blue tights, at least not until I tone up my thighs a little more.”

“I’ll take it.”

“You?” Ian was surprised. “You like cats?”

“Don’t know, never had one, but I’ve been thinking about it. They’re pretty independent and I thought it might be the perfect pet for an old man.” David Turner used his cane to stand. “Be nice to have something besides a hot water bottle to come home to. Haven’t had that since way before you were born.”

“If you’re sure.”

“Make it happen.” Turner tapped his cane on the floor.

“Okay, but if you change your mind. I don’t want it back, and however you dispose of it will just be between us.”

“I’ll make sure it’s something satisfyingly grisly.”

“God bless you.”

“Well, I will get out of your hair.”

“Never a problem, Mr. Turner.”

They both stood. Turner moved toward the office door.

“Oh, Mr. Turner. One more thing.”

“Certainly.”

“Saturday, I’m throwing a very casual party at my house for the team. They don’t know it yet. It’s my surprise for them, a thanks for all the hard work sort of thing.”

“That’s sounds like a great idea. You need HRT to fund it?”

“No.” Ian smiled. “Nothing like that. I realize that my home…well you know where I live.”

Turner nodded his head and looked at the floor.

“If you would, Ronnie and I would both like you to come.”

The old man smiled. “I appreciate that, Young Justyn. I have to admit…let me think about it.”

“Certainly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment