BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Vignette #95: Morning

Tippy let herself in Ian’s front door the next morning with her key. “Morning, Baby Doll! I got your paper!”

“Granny!” Ronnie jumped into her arms wearing flannel pants and a tee emblazoned with “Southern Fried”. He planted a big kiss on her.

“My, my we are full of energy this morning.” She put the handful down and look with shock at the living room; blankets, rousing bodies with bed head all over the place. “What’s going on, Sugar Plum? It looks like ‘Gone With the Wind’ threw up in here.”

“Oh, we been workin’.”

“Did the office flood or something?” She took a step into the room as she began to recognize faces. “Morning, Ella.”

Ella mumbled and smacked her mouth. “How much onion dip did I eat last night?” She looked at her shirt. “Please tell me it was onion dip.”

Sean stood beside her folding a blanket. “It was onion dip. You want to borrow a comb or should I ask Ian where his weed eater is?”

Ella put her hand to her hair and dashed to the bathroom, slamming the door behind her as Wella stepped out. “Hi, Tippy. What brings you over?” She smiled.

“Colton had an early call this morning, and we noticed all the cars. I thought I’d come over and see if Ian needed a hand, at whatever you’re doing.”

“All nighter.” She said. “Have you seen Blake? He said he had some eye cream I could borrow.”

“No.”

“Oh, Granny.” Ronnie was hopping. “It was so much fun. We created a new TV program.”

“Have you been up all night?” She asked him.

“No, Papa made me go to bed at eleven. It was way past my bedtime, but they was lettin’ me help out. It was so much fun!”

“Sounds like it. Where is your Papa?”

“He said something about breakfast.” Wella said. “I assume he’s in the kitchen pouring cereal in lots of bowls.”

Tippy smiled. “Oh you are a stranger in this land.”

“Ronnie!” Ian bellowed from the kitchen. “Get this thing out of here or I’m serving it on toast!”

Ronnie stopped bouncing. “Gotta go.” He raced to the kitchen in a flash. Before they could blink, Ronnie appeared at the door with the cat in his hands. “Papa says breakfast is ready.”

Tippy smiled. “Just in time.” She took Wella by the arm. “Com’mon Wella. If we’re lucky he made fried green tomatoes.”

“Ian cooks?” She said walking to the kitchen door with her.

“He is definitely the marrying kind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment