BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Vignette #98: Nails

Simon Kent was all smiles when he walked in the building that morning. In less than two hours would be the final fall schedule meeting. He knew Justyn and his “team” must be pulling their hair out.

He chuckled to himself as he got off the elevator and stepped out onto Ian’s floor. He caught himself humming, but stopped in time. He was positive the dippy redhead behind the desk didn’t hear him.

“Good morning, dear.” He said.

“Good morning, Mr. Kent.” She smiled. “May I help you?”

“I thought I’d stop by and see if Justyn needed my help.” Simon smiled, hopefully concerned. “Big meeting this morning. Poor boy, must be beside himself.”

The red head cocked her head. “Uh…no. He’s not even in the office yet.”

“Oh?”

“He was taking his son somewhere to go fishing.”

“Fishing?” Kent smirked.

“Deep sea fishing, I think. Would you like me to give him a message?”

“No.” Kent took a step back. “No thank you, but he’ll be in soon?”

“In time for the meeting.”

“Strange.” He thought silently. “Taking a page from my book. Sit back let the peons pull out their hair then blame them.” He ticked off, also in his head.

“Just tell him, I’ll see him in the conference room.” Kent turned to leave. “We’re expected big things from him.” He tossed over his shoulder.

He could hardly wait to get in the elevator, before he said “Big disaster.” As soon as the doors closed he laughed heartily out loud and did a little dance.

The doors came open. Lance Crockett caught him jigging. “I see you heard the rumor, too.” He said as the doors shut.

Kent regained his dignity. “Oh, yes. Poor Justyn. I’m afraid his days are numbered. They called an emergency meeting of the board this morning.”

“What are you talking about?” Lance asked.

“I’ll be surprised if they don’t have him clearing out his desk while we are putting the final touches on the fall schedule. Too bad about the Torkelson show.”

“Kent, what have you been adding to your Metamucil?”

“Oh come on, Lance. You can’t stand the smug little prick any more than I can.”

“True.”

“Your just jealous that I’m the one who put the final nail in his coffin.” Kent stuck his nose up in the air.

“I don’t know anything about Justyn. The board officially fired Jack Tolan this morning, or made him use his built up leave time in leau of the rest of his contract.”

Simon looked at Crockett. “Tolan?”

“Don’t know why, but apparently it was big.” The elevator stopped and the doors opened. “My floor.”

As Lance stepped off the car, he noticed Simon Kent leaned against the wall with visions of sugar plums dancing through his head. “Oh Kent. If the running back and forth to legal, and David Turner with a bigger grin on his face than yours is any indication, that smug little prick neither one of us can stand just side stepped what ever meager cow pile you plopped in his way.”

“I doubt that, Crockett. There’s no way he can salvage the Torkelson fiasco.”

“Kent, you’re the one who forced the contract to begin with. Are you too stupid to smell the crap on your own fingers?”

“Torkelson wanted to work specifically with Justyn. I just stepped aside and let Justyn and the pretty boy scramble to fix something that obviously wasn’t broken.” Kent smiled, sure of himself. “ See you at the meeting.”

“Won’t be there.” Crockett held the doors open another second.

“Won’t be there?” Kent was aghast. “The head of promotions not at the fall schedule meeting? That’s ridiculous. Why?”

“I spit on Superman’s cape in full view of Metropolis. Now I have to keep my distance in order to save my job. Let that be your lesson for the day Lex Luthor.” Lance released the doors and let them shut.

Simon Kent smiled. “Fool.” He said and sighed. “Hmmm…I think I’ll make some calls and start the bidding war for redecorating my new office.” When the elevator doors open he skipped out to his own floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment