BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Vignette #92: Cool

“Papa?” Ronnie patted Ian shoulder. “Forgive me for interrupting, but that woman back there. She looks like Tessie.”

Ian smiled and looked in the direction. “I think you’re right, Ronnie.”

“Whose Tessie?”

Ronnie’s mouth dropped open. “You work in television and you don’t know who Tessie is?”

“Okay…” Jeff smiled. “Who is this woman that I should know?”

“Only the best TV star EVER!” Ronnie gushed. “Papa and I watch her show every day!”

Ian, who’d been busy looking at the woman, turned back to the conversation. “Tess Sinclair.”

Torkelson understood. “Oh, that Tessie.” He looked down at the boy. “You are right, again, Ronnie. She is the best TV star ever. Do you know that the reason I want to stay in television is because my dream, the one you’re Papa is going to make come true, is to one day be half as good as Tessie.”

“Only half?” Ronnie asked.

“Well, I’ll settle for half, but aiming for it all.” Jeff rubbed Ronnie’s head.

Ian found himself staring at the woman seated behind them. “You know, Ronnie, I think that is Tessie.”

“Are you sure?” Ronnie said.

Jeff found himself looking. “I think you’re right.”

“She can hear you know. She’s old, not deaf.” Tess’s voice boomed without turning around. “However she appreciates your kind words.”

Ian blushed. “Sorry, Ms Sinclair. We didn’t mean to disturb your meal.”

“That’s fine Mr. Justyn. Just an old lady now cheating on her diet, and surprised and pleased that someone still remembers her.” She said.

“Oh, Ms Sinclair!” Ronnie protested. “How could anyone forget you! You are the best!”

She turned around in her chair, half a chocolate shake in hand, grinning from ear to ear. “You are absolutely adorable little man. I think I’m your biggest fan.”

Ronnie popped up and started to race right over to her. Ian gently stopped him. “Son, Ms. Sinclair is eating. Remember those conversations we had about respect?”

Ronnie remembered. “Oh yeah.” He turned back to Tess. “I apologize. You just want to enjoy you’re hamburger. I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“Oh, sonny, it’s okay. I’m just sitting here, and I’m all alone.” She said. “I’m assuming we’re waiting for the cow to get a degree in political science before they kill it and serve us our hamburgers.

“Alone?” He said.

“Just me and my milkshake. Now come over here and give your biggest fan a big hug.” She said holding out her arms, allowing Ronnie to give her a big one.

“Thank you so much.” Ronnie kissed her cheek.

It was obvious the woman was touched. She turned to Ian. “You have a very special boy there, Mr. Justyn.”

“Thank you. You have made him very, very happy.” Ian touched her shoulder. “Me, too.”

“And he’s made an old lady very happy.” She patted his hand and turned back around.

“Ms. Sinclair…” Ian said. “Would you like to join us?”

She waved her hands. “Oh no…you are having a good time without me. Thank you though.”

“Oh please…” Ronnie asked. “Please come and eat with us Miss Tessie.”

“You don’t mind?” She asked Ian.

“We’d be honored.”

Tessie smiled. “I’d love to.” She stood up; Jeff popped up and held the chair beside him open as she gracefully joined them. “You gentlemen are so kind.”

“Ms. Sinclair, you’ve met my son, Ronnie.” Ian nodded to Jeff as they all took their seats. “And this is my friend, Jeff…”

“No need.” Tess reached out her hand. “Torkelson, you’ve done some fine work. I’ve been impressed since moment one.”

Torkelson gushed, while Ian caught the eyes of a waitress and motioned her over. “I’m flattered Ms. Sinclair.”

“Would you tell our waitress, I think her name’s Camilla, that Ms. Sinclair will be joining us?”

“Of course, Mr. Justyn.” She said politely. “Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“Food would be nice.” Tess smiled.

“Of course.” She said and dashed off.

“I’m supposedly doing the whole healthy thing now.” She said. “Twice a month I have to give all that tofu and wheat grass a good coating of greasy red meat and chocolate just to stave off the conniption fits.”

Camilla appeared apologetically and put a second shake in front everyone and began to offer their burgers.

The four chatted like old friends catching up as they ate. Tessie insisted on picking up the tab and bought everyone the biggest gooiest sundaes on the menu. She prattled on and on about the good old days. The three men hung on every word.

“Of course, after fifteen years I was getting a little long in tooth so I packed it in and didn’t look back.” She said. “Marcus Bickle, he was running the network for David Turner back then, suggested a format change to keep me interested, but it was ridiculous. I’d have been playing the only virgin widow in the known universe. What an idiot…” she scooped vanilla, strawberry and chocolate goo into her mouth.

“But you’ve been approached since, haven’t you?’ Ian asked.

“Oh sure, but no one has any guts these days. Shoot, Ian, you seem to be the only one around these days.”

“Coming from you, I consider that a high compliment.”

“You stick out like a sour thumb, young man. I’d work for you in a heart beat.” She sniggered. “Wanna give an old has been a job?”

“Tessie, if I thought you were serious I’d throw you across this table and give you my own special sauce.” Ian confessed.

“Honey, no need to go that far. Besides, I was a dyke before it was cool.” Tessie’s eyes got big. “Oops, forgot about the boy.”

“That’s okay, Miss Tessie.” Ronnie wrestled to feed himself an overstuffed spoon. “We studied dikes in school. Did you come to America straight from Holland?”

Tess put her spoon down and folded her hands in her lap and looked Ronnie straight in the eye. “Yes I did, in a covered wagon.”

“That’s cool.”

Jeff sprayed chocolate sauce across the table laughing, covering Ian’s shirt. “Shoot…” He reached for a napkin to wipe it off, knocking over a half finished shake that landed on a spoon. The spoon somersaulted in the air and landed in Ian’s sundae, tossing a wad of ice cream and a cherry that plopped on Ian’s neck and ran down the inside of his shirt.

“Oooh baby!” Ian said reaching down in his shirt and grabbing a handful of goop from his chest. As he tossed it on the table, he heard a little pop and a metal tinkle as the wad hit the tabletop. “Now that’s cool!”

No comments:

Post a Comment