BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vignette #72: Roses

Reese came around the corner and looked up at him. “You okay?”

Ian nodded his head. “There’s a box in here in the kitchen and that’s it. I’m ready to go.” He held the door open for Reese and pointed at the chair in the corner.

“You sure? We can take back almost anything you want, as long as we can get it in the car. It’s a hatchback, so…”

“I don’t think so.”

“Take another look around, Ian.” Reece encouraged, “One last look.”

Reece followed Ian around the tiny house, just a kitchen, a living room and a tiny bedroom. It was all so clean, so Aunt Hil, and so quiet, one of the few places he ever felt safe…and loved.

“I just want to remember it all like this.” Ian said.

Reese walked to a little corner and touched an afghan. “This is beautiful. I bet she made this herself.”

“She did. She’d sit in front of the television, watching her stories and knit or crochet. Every little project was for someone specific, some one’s new baby, a birthday gift for so and so.”

Reese carefully lifted it off the old rocker and folded it. “We’ll take this with us.”

Ian nodded his head and looked at the chair. “She said she used to rock me and my mama to sleep in that old thing.”

“This?” Reese got squatted down and looked at it. “This is beautiful. Do you know where it came from?”

“She said her Grandfather made it. It was the only thing of her family that she had left.”

“Ian you can’t leave this behind.” Reese stood up. “We can get it in the car, and there’s plenty of room on the plane. If I have to throw the seats out we’ll get it home.”

“No.” Ian said looking at the old worn out throw rug on the floor. “I’ll never use it.”

“Yes you will.” Reese walked over to him and put the afghan in his hands. “You need that Ian. The day is going to come, and you’ll wish it was there.”

“What to rock my babies to sleep in?” Ian almost sounded bitter.

“Ian, there will be a some day. I promise you that.” Reese put his hands on Ian’s shoulders. “Someday you’ll be holding a little baby girl in your arms, and you’ll be so happy knowing you can safely rock her to sleep in the chair that someone made a point to make you feel safe and loved in, you and your mother.”

Ian didn’t move. “I’m taking it.” Reese said. “It’ll be at my house. I’m not leaving it behind.”

“Fine.” Ian said. “You get the chair. I’ll get the box. I’m ready to go.”

Reese easily picked up the old chair and followed Ian out in to the yard. They struggled for a moment to get the hatchback down, but finally managed. Everything slipped easily in. Ian slammed the hatch door shut and slapped his hands together.

“Any time you’re ready.” Reese told him, and he slipped behind the wheel.

Ian turned for one last look at the house. Putting his hands in his pockets he took a step toward the front porch, and then sauntered down the side of the house. He peered around the corner and took a glance at that one yellow rose.

He walked again to it, bending over to breathe in the scent on last time. He looked at the old stoop and there again she stood, his Aunt Hil. Her arms were open wide and her face covered with tears. She took her fist and tapped her chest. “I am always right here, baby boy…right here.”

“I love you, Aunt Hil.” He cried. “I love you.”

She blew him a kiss and smiled.

…And there was a blood-curdling scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment