BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vignette #62: Gravy

While Colton was off in the corner in deep conversation with Jenson and Turner, Tippy slipped her arm around Ian and kissed him on the cheek. “Congratulations, Baby Doll.”

“Thank you, Tippy. I didn’t realize how horrifying and exciting something could be at the same time.”

“It’s just the beginning.” She cooed. “Now, I think we should have a little family celebration, a big dinner.”

“I think that’s a great idea. You all should celebrate and enjoy yourselves.”

“You all? I said a family dinner, Baby Doll.” She looked at him with surprise. “I expect you to be there.”

“You don’t need me intruding in on a family celebration.”

“Ian…” Tippy put both hands on Ian’s shoulders, her eyes looking very deep into his. “Friends are people you run across in life and choose. They send a birthday card when they remember and give you a call to ask how you’re doing when they’re really the lonely one. Family is just always there, like or not.”

“I know.” He smiled at her.

“I don’t think you do, Baby Doll.” She cupped his jaw in her hand. “You got family, now—like it or not…and it’s not just me. Colton adores you, and look what you’ve done for Reese. I don’t know what you did, but he’s smiling again, living again. Of course, Jesse’s like Ralphie, looking for any excuse to wag his tail and follow you around. I know we’re not blood, sweetheart, but we all share the same heart.”

Ian took her hand and kissed her palm. Tippy quickly grasped his hand. “Ian, you got this big ol’ heart with a big ol’ stonewall around it. Everyone around you can see that. We feel it, and I know you’re trying, but it feels like you’re afraid to let someone love you back, darlin’. Let us. Please let us.”

She pushed him a little. “I dare you. Come on over to the house, no paperwork, no excuses. Help us mess up the kitchen and have a big old loud family meal. We’re Baptists. You can’t have any kind of real celebration without a fried chicken and pie.”

“Well, if you’re going to put it that way…”

“Good.” Tippy giggled. “Now, I’ll give Saxon a call and get her to come, too. Can she cook or at least help us make a big mess?”

Ian laughed. “Actually, I’m not sure, but she’s out of town.”

“Well, I’ll call and leave a message anyway. She needs to know she’s always welcome, too.” Tippy pulled out her cell phone. “What’s her number, Baby Doll?”

Ian gently took the cell phone and closed it. “Tippy, Saxon’s on a romantic getaway with her boyfriend.” He handed the phone back.

“Oh, honey…”

“Don’t act like I’ve been jilted.” Ian slipped an arm around her and started walking with her toward her husband. “I kept trying to tell you that Saxon and I are just friends. I’m happy for her.”

“If you say so…” Tippy took a deep breath. “Now, what shall we have with the fried chicken…?”

“Well, taters…” Ian was shocked she even had to ask. “You got to have taters and white gravy.”

“Can you make white gravy, old fashion white gravy?” She asked.

“Mamie Rae Tipton…” Ian squeezed her close. “You haven’t lived until you’ve tasted my white pepper gravy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment