BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vignette #77: Right

Nothing else was said until they got back to the hotel room. Ian immediately lay Ronnie down on the bed. Reese produced the crocheted afghan from Ian’s box and spread it out over the boy. Ian then lay down beside the child and wrapped his arms around until the little boy squirmed to comfort and sighed. Ronnie patted the spot beside him and Reese lay down in it. The three wrapped themselves together and slept.

They were awakened by a knock at the door. Reese popped up and peeked outside the window. “It’s Jude.” He opened the door and Jude, holding two little plastic bags, entered.

He smiled when he saw Ronnie. “Hey, there’s my little man. Are you feeling a little better, buddy?” Ronnie sat up and nodded his head, rubbing his eyes. Jude handed one of the bags to Ian. “I found a pair of jeans and some under pants, stopped at Kmart on the way here and bought a shirt. That’s all there is.”

Reese walked over to his suitcase and took out a few things. “Why don’t I take a shower and let the three of you talk?”

“Thanks, Reece.” Ian said as Reese disappeared into the bathroom and shut the door.

Jude sat in the chair. “Ronnie why don’t you come here and sit in my lap. I wanna talk with ya.” The boy crawled up in his lap and wrapped his arms around his grandfather. Jude sighed. “Awwww, boy, do you know how much yer granddaddy loves you?”

Ronnie nodded his head. “Remember how I promised you one day I’d take you for a ride in a plane?” He nodded again. “Well, Ian and Reese here, they’s gonna do that for me. Would you like that?”

“You gonna come too, Granpaw?” He asked.

Jude took the boys sweet dirty little face in his hands. “No, Ronnie, I’m gonna stay here, but I want you to go with Ian.”

Ian moved to the far edge of the bed and brushed hair from the boy’s eyes with his fingers. “Ronnie, your Granpaw wants you to come and live with me. Miz Hil was all the family I had, and we were thinking maybe you and me we could be family now.”

“You want me to be your little boy now?” He asked.

Ian smiled; he couldn’t fight the tears rolling down his cheeks. “Yeah, Ronnie, I’d like that an awful lot.”

“I ain’t got nobody now but Granpaw. Can he come too?”

“I’ve asked him, but he wants to stay here and take care of a few things. Maybe we can talk him into it later.”

“Please come, Granpaw….please!” The boy begged.

“Aww buddy, I cain’t right now. I got to take care of everything here. You know yer mama wouldn’t be happy if we left the place in such a mess. I’ll get it all cleaned up and then I’ll come out at least for a visit.”

“You can call him every day.” Ian assured him. “I’ll even buy your granpaw a computer and you can see each other while you talk. It won’t be quite the same, but so many things have changed Ronnie and we just want what’s best.”

“I reckon that’d be okay then.”

Jude nodded his head and picked up the second bag. “Ronnie, I found this and want you to have it.” He handed the boy a frame with a picture in it. Ian could see it was of Ronnie, his mother, Jude and Aunt Hil. “You member when you gave me this fer Christmas last year?”

“Uh huh.”

“Well you take it and keep it by your bed. Ever night we can all watch over you while you sleep, and if you ever get lonely or sad you just look at how happy we all are and you be happy, too.”

“I’ll try Grandpaw. It’ll be hard, but I’ll try.”

“Yer a good boy.” Jude held the boy close, tears flowing from his eyes. “My heart just breaks to see you go baby boy, but it breaks with happy cause I know that Ian will take such good care of you.”

“I love you til my heart breaks, too Grampaw”.

Jude stayed with them until Reese’s plane was in the air. Ronnie waved goodbye to his grandfather and watched him wave until he was just a speck on the ground. Ronnie never looked back after that. He nestled into Ian’s lap and slept most of the rest of the way.

Reese had told Jude that he would fly back and help clean up as soon as they were allowed to. Ian said he’d pay for every trip it took, and all the manpower to clean up. Ian also made Jude promise that he would come and stay with them as soon as it was all done.

When they stopped for a final refueling Ian called Tippy. “It’s taking a little longer than we thought, but we’ll be home soon.” He said.

“It’s alright, Baby Doll. We’re just glad you’re okay.”

“Things have changed, Tippy.”

“I know, Ian. Just get home and we’ll talk about it after a good night’s rest.”

“No. We need to talk as soon as I get there.”

“Well, that’s fine.”

“Listen, Tippy, I need your help. I’m not sure what to do.”

“Anything I can do, you know that.”

Ian smiled. “I’m bringing the boy with me.”

“The boy?”

“Ronnie. He’s got nothing, I mean nothing, just what’s on his back. He’ll need clothes and toys…”

“Ian.” Tippy stopped him. “Baby Doll, I can take care of that. Don’t worry.”

“Thank you.”

“But I need you to remember something.” She said.

“What’s that?”

“That child may not have clothes and toys, silly stuff like that, but he’s got everything else in the world.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Baby Doll, he’s got you.”



It was dark by the time the plane landed. Jesse was waiting for them on the tarmack. He couldn’t help himself, he was so relieved they were home. Jesse hugged his brother and then grabbed Ian, smashing the little boy between them.

“God you stink.” He said.

“Well, your brother got a shower, but Ronnie and I haven’t had the chance.” Ian looked down at the boy. “Ronnie Kyle, this is Jesse. He’s Reese’s brother. He lives next door.”

“To us?” Ronnie asked.

“Right next door. We’ll have fun.” Jesse rubbed the boy’s head.

Ian smiled. “Let’s go home, we’ll get some food and some clean clothes and try and get settled in.” Ronnie nodded his head and stepped out on the tarmack.

Ian reached into the plane and picked up his backpack. As he started to sling it over his shoulder he saw the little head pop out. He reached in and pulled it out. “Here.” He handed it to Jesse.

“What am I suppose to do with this thing? Roll it in cornmeal and deep fry it?” He asked holding the cat up by the scruff.

“Well, you can try, but it didn’t work the first time.” Ian pointed to the boy. “It’s Ronnie’s cat. I don’t want it anywhere near me.”

“Ian’s afraid of cats.” Reese said.

“I am not. I just don’t like them.” Ian grabbed a suitcase Reese was handing him. “You gonna help us unload or stand there like a lazy bum?”

“I’m thinking about the lazy bum thing.” Jesse said. “Here buddy, this is yours?” He handed the boy the kitten. “What’s his name?”

“Don’t know yet.”

“He’s yours now.” Ian told him. “You can name him.”

“Can I keep him in the house, too?”

“Don’t see that I have much choice do I?” Ian turned to grab a box Reese had scooted to the door.

Jesse picked up the box. “Hey, Ronnie, why don’t you put that kitty down over there in my car and then come back a help me carry some of these boxes.” Jesse pointed over to his car. “The one with the trunk open.”

“Okay.” Ronnie looked to the fur ball in his hands. “Com’mon rodent, we’re gonna go for another ride now.”

Jesse looked up at Ian. “So you’ve got a kid and a cat now, can you handle it?”

“Not sure about the cat, but we’ll make it.” Ian handed Jesse the old crock from Hilary’s kitchen. “Be careful with that.”

“You got it.”

“Is that just about it?” Ian asked Reese.

“All but the rocker.” Reese jumped out of the plane and Ian helped him roll up the ladder. “I’ll just lock it up in the plane, and come back and get it later.”

“Sounds good. Let’s get home.”

As they drove toward home, Ian was seeing it all through Ronnie’s eyes. He was scared, more than he’d ever been. Until now, Ian only had to fear for himself. Suddenly there was someone else who was more important. How the hell was he going to do this? Could he do it?

Ian looked at the cat looking at him. He sighed and looked out the window to see what the boy was looking at. “We’re doing this.” He thought to himself. As long as the cat stays on the other side of the car, they were doing this.

To her word, when they arrived, the Shores and Kellen were at the house. Tippy had stocked the fridge and bought out Toys R Us. Colton and Kellen were all smiles having turned the largest bedroom downstairs into a room for a little boy.

Ronnie was just a little overwhelmed. Ian knew it would take time, for both of them, to adjust. It would be slow, but they would adjust. The boy refused to be anywhere without either Ian or Reese in sight. Ronnie had not been around such a constant flow of people and he was naturally shy, but he was opening up.

To Ian’s chagrin, Ronnie bonded especially with the damned cat. Frankly, Ian felt better knowing the boy was always in sight, but it unnerved him that the cat seemed to never take it’s eyes off Ian. Ian just knew the little rodent was planning something. He just knew that the little feline had plans to jump him when no one was around to be a witness. “Those things are just pure evil.” He thought to himself.

But Ronnie loved the little thing, and the little thing just loved the attention. Tippy, of course, had taken both the boy and the kitten under wing. Ronnie wasn’t sure what to make of Tippy, but the cat, oh the cat loved it.

Tippy had already made plans for the boy, setting up visits with pediatricians and dentists, and had a list of recommendations for a child psychologist. With Colton now off daily working on the new television show, Ronnie and the cat were now her focus.

Reese and Jesse were already fighting for the boy’s attention. They were so goofy they made Ronnie smile, something that Ian hadn’t seen since the whole tragedy happened. They were already trying to out do each other in impressing the boy.

Colton was the biggest surprise. The quiet, gentle man would just slip into the room at just the right time with just the right gesture or just the right word. When they first arrived at the house, everyone was fussing over Ronnie and the boy was completely overwhelmed. Colton got up from his spot on the couch, walked over to the boy, picked him up and held him in his lap wrapping his arms around him tight and just sighed. “Aw, it is so good to have you home.” Ronnie, and Ian, just melted.

Ian managed to get the boy and himself showered and into clean clothes. Tippy and the boys had made dinner, and they had a big old loud family meal. Ronnie tried his best to relax, but it was all so foreign to him. Several times Ian made a point to reach over and whisper into his ear. “It’s okay, I’m still getting used to all this, too.” Ronnie would look up at him and nod.

After the big old loud family dinner, they had a big old loud clean up. Ian, new to this too, wasn’t quite sure what to do next, but he was determined to be in charge. He thought the best way was to just tell Ronnie what he normally did, and see how the boy reacted. “Well, buddy, I usually have a lot of work to do which means this is the time I usually watch television.”

“You work watching television?” The boy asked.

“That’s what I do. I work in television.”

“Okay.” Ronnie just blinked. “What do you watch?”

“Anything and everything.” He said.

“Sugar Plum, is there something that you like to watch?” Tippy asked him, patted a spot by her on the sofa.

“Ummm…well…” Ronnie took the seat beside her. “I like game shows…and funny stuff.”

“Game shows?” Tippy looked at Ian and gently nodded her head to get him to sit on the other side of the boy. “Like ‘Wheel of Fortune’?”

“Yeah. That’s good, but I like you know where people has to do stuff better.” He looked at Ian. “You know, I like that one where they have to use tennis balls and paper cups and stuff, I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s on channel five on Wednesday night.”

“I tell you what.” Ian said. “Why don’t you be in charge of the TV. We’ll surf through the channels until we find something we like.”

“Surf through the channels?” Ronnie giggled. “There’s only two. My friend Toby Davis, he can get three, but he lives way on top the mountain.”

Ian laughed. “I forgot. Ronnie…” Ian handed the boy the remote from its place in the cradle on the end table. “…welcome to California.”

“What’s this?”

“Power, child, lots and lots of power.” Ian pointed to the red button. “Just point that thing and press the red button.”

“Point it?”

“At the TV.” Tippy said.

“Okay.” Ronnie looked around. “Where’s the TV?”

Ian pointed to the flat mirror on the wall in front of them. “Just point and hit that red button.”

Ronnie looked at Ian like he was an idiot, but did what he was told. In an instant, the “mirror” lit up and a man with a deep voice looked at them.

“Can switching to Geico really save you money?” The man said.

“Well, I swan…” the boy said. “That’s bigger than our pitcher window.” Tippy showed the eager boy how to change channels, pop up the guides and the kid mastered it like a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment