BOOK ONE: DECEPTIONS
Chapters One to Twenty Six
Vignettes 1 - 140

BOOK TWO: YESTERDAY ECHOES
Chapters 27 to
Vignettes 141 -

Monday, November 22, 2010

Vignette #83: Papa

Ian heard his raspberry colored blackberry chirp and he pulled it out of his pocket. He grinned, struggled but managed to push all the right buttons to respond, and slipped it back in his pocket.

“Why Clem…” Saxon Allen shut the office door behind her. “Last time I saw you smile like that the sheep ran away from you for a month.”

“Bessie.” Ian immediately went to her and held her tightly for what seemed like forever. The old friends just stood there holding on while the gamut of emotions flooded their souls.

When they broke they stood only inches from each other, holding both hands and wondering what to say. Somehow, they knew they didn’t have to say anything.

Finally, Saxon broke the silence, but not the stance. “I couldn’t believe it when Blake called and said you were in the office.”

“Work to do. Work to do everywhere.” Ian sighed.

“But you’re okay?” She searched his eyes for hidden signs she knew she probably wouldn’t find. He was too good at disguising them.

“Pretty much.” Ian blushed. “This hour any way. When I don’t have a mode to be in, there may be another story.”

“You know where I am, if the ‘just me’ mode gets a little rough?”

Ian nodded his head. “Saxon, there is so much to tell you.”

“You don’t have to tell me anything, Ian. I haven’t come by, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t want to.” Saxon kissed his cheek. “Tippy and I…”

Ian laughed silently. “’Nuff said. Can you sit and stay a while?”

She nodded. “Are you sure you don’t have more pressing matters?”

Ian let loose of one of her hands and walked her over to the sofa, sitting closely beside her. She brought her purse to her lap, opened it and pulled out a little box.

“I have a little gift.” She put the box in his hands. “Open it.”

Ian revealed a raspberry colored blackberry. “Well, thank you, but believe it or not I still have the one you gave me. I’ve been through five cell phones, but I still have…”

“It’s actually not for you.” Saxon put her hand on his arm. “I thought he might like one just like his Daddy’s.”

Ian looked at the floor and smiled. His lips were trembling, but he smiled. “Papa. He calls me Papa.”

“Honey, I’ve known for a long time.” Saxon put her arms around him and pulled him close. “But I also knew how hard a decision it was for you. I hate what happened, but I am so glad that you have that part of your heart back.”

“He’s so…perfect.” Ian tried not to, but a few tears fell. “He’s so perfect.”

Saxon just nodded and reached for her purse. She quietly pulled out a tissue. She wiped Ian’s eyes and then her own. “I know.”

“I want you to meet him.”

“Ian, I already have.” Saxon put her fingers to his lips. “Nothing clandestine. Tippy invited me to lunch. You’ll be glad to know, Tippy and I had hot fudge sundaes and Ronnie had chicken salad on whole wheat toast.”

Ian smiled. “Liar.”

“He had a sundae, too, but he’s the only one who actually had lunch and not just dessert.”

“Does he seem…does he seem okay?”

“Ian, he’s wonderful; smart, funny, so much like you it’s almost scary.” Saxon looked in Ian’s eyes. “He’s dealing with everything in a normal, healthy way.”

“I’ve set up some sessions with a child psychologist.”

“That’s good. Ian, you’re going to be a wonderful father.”

“I’m half way there. I’ve got a wonderful kid to start with.” Ian looked at the carpet again. “They did a good job.”

“Yes they did. Look at me.” Saxon took her hand and made Ian look her in the eyes. “You never ever have to wonder if you made the right decision. You did. He’s proof of that.”

Ian nodded his head.

“Ian, honey, can I ask you to do me a favor?” Saxon asked softly.

“Anything.”

“I think you should talk to someone, too.”

“I’m fine.”

“I have no doubt. But Ian, so much has changed so fast and you can’t forget that you’ve suffered this great trauma, too. Ronnie is your priority, so for him, I think you need to talk someone just to help reassure you that you are dealing with everything in a healthy manner as well.”

Ian nodded again.

“Promise me.”

“Promise.”

She handed him a card. “This is my doctor. Call him. It’s kind of like talking to an old friend. You’ll like him.”

“You see a psychiatrist?”

“Ian, this is California. My toothbrush sees a psychiatrist.” She made him laugh. She loved it when she managed to do that.

She tapped the blackberry Ian clutched in his hand. “Now, just do you like did before and hand that over to Blake. He’ll get it all set up. At least someone at your house will be mature enough to not break it, or loose it and didn’t you wash one?”

“I most certainly did not.” Ian looked at her sternly. “I nuked one.” Saxon laughed out loud. “Hey, I thought I put the Hot Pocket on the microwave and the phone in my pocket. I just got a little turned around.”

“Well, I’m sure your son is smart enough to know the difference, even if his father doesn’t. You’ll probably have to show him how to use it.”

“Are you kidding? He’s been texting me all day with Tippy’s. That’s what I was smiling about when you walked in. He’s been keeping me up to date on his day out, although the little booger didn’t mention he was having lunch with the most beautiful woman in Hollywood.”

“So having a son seems to be going well.” Saxon smiled. “How about having a cat?”

“Ian has a cat?” Wella stood in the door. “Ian hates cats. Why does Ian have a cat?”

“Uhm…long story…” Ian stammered. “…Soon. Is there something I can do for you?”

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but I knocked. You just didn’t hear me.”

“It’s fine, Wella.”

“When the two of you get together, you just don’t know the rest of the world exists…” Wella smiled.

“Don’t go there.” Ian and Saxon both said simultaneously and eased a little father apart on the sofa.

“Mr. Turner just called and would like to see you in his office immediately.” Wella told him.

“Did he say want about?”

“No. Just to come right now.”

Ian sat up straight. “Oh. Forgive me, Saxon. Looks like duty calls.”

“No problem. I just dropped in to see how you were doing.” She stood and kissed him on the cheek as he stood.

“You’ll come by the house real soon? I’ll make dinner.”

“Now how could I turn down that invitation?” She took his hand. “Will you at least walk me to the elevator before you run to the principal’s office?”

Ian stuck out his arm. “My pleasure.” Saxon took his arm and they looked up to see Wella still standing in the doorway, grinning. “Wella? If you will excuse us?”

“Oh. Sure.” She looked over her shoulder. “Sure. I’ll tell Mr. Turner you are on your way up.” She said, Ian thought just a little too loudly.

She unblocked the door and disappeared. “Remind me to decaf her very soon. Ladie’s first.”

Saxon giggled. “No you. I like to watch your butt.”

“You dirty little thing.” Ian walked out into the outer office.

As soon as he got out his door people jumped out of everywhere. “Surprise!”

The outer office had huge banner proclaiming “It’s a Boy!” Wella, Blake and David Turner were standing by a huge cake that said “Congratulations! It’s a Hunka Hunka Baby Boy!”

Ian was momentarily speechless, but took a deep breath. “You guys will do anything to get out of work.”

“Are you kidding?” Daryn said. “We didn’t think you’d be in until later in the week. We worked our asses off to pull this together on one day!”

“I’m overwhelmed.” Ian struggled to say. “Thank you. I was wondering how to…you know…did I just blurt it out? Let you find out accidentally?”

Wella put her hands on her hips. “All you had to do was tell Tippy.”

Ian smiled and nodded his head. “My bad.”

David Turner cleared his throat. “I have to say Young Justyn. I am a little disappointed. I thought you’d have a more stylish way of breaking the news to us. Telling Tippy Shores is kind of boring, for you anyway.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, sir. It all happened so fast.”

Saxon looked at him. “Hearing through the Tippy grapevine is so yesterday. I would have thought you could have come up with something better.”

“Yeah.” Blake said, pushing the cart with the cake one side. “We’d have thought you would have done something more like this…”

Ian heard the button to a tape machine click. The office filled with a track for Prince’s “Kiss”. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Ronnie jumped up on a desk in a little jacket holding a microphone.

“Are you in the mood for a surprise?” Ronnie did a dead on imitation of Ian.

The room screamed “Yeah.”

“Good.” Ronnie said. “Cause it’s getting’ hot in here and my Daddy says I’m wearing way too many clothes!” Ronnie ripped off his shirt revealing a tee that said “Hunka Hunka HRT, Jr.” Then the party got rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment